FNG from... Key West

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I'm way late on this but here goes. I didn't check my sign up date but it was earlier in the year if not late 2019. I am a Key West native, for those who don't know that's the southernmost point in the USA. I am a life long spearfisherman and have dug pretty deep into the sport the last decade traveling all over from Bahamas to Costa Rica, Louisiana, to Baja, up to Big Sur and many more. I exclusively free dive for everything from reef fish to shooting tuna and wahoo. I know, none of that matters here.

I've always thought using a bow to land hunt would be a great challenge. The sport aligns so much with spearfishing, the proximity to the animal, projectile, etc. Around September last year I had a good friend who owned a spearfishing company move to NY when he ended the business because he liked hunting so much. I finally had someone close enough to me to push me to the sport. He offered me the opportunity to join him so like everything I do I jumped in head first and swam to the bottom.

Now here I am, a 38 y.o. island guy looking to the mainland to start chasing different game. I absolutely love the technical aspect of bowhunting. Outside of a little break in June I have probably shot 4 times a week since I bought my bow in December.

I had no clue I knew so many people across the country from spearfishing that were also avid bowhunters. In October I have a 6 day whitetail hunt in North Carolina with a friend which has access to 5 or 6 properties equalling about 1,000 acres. In November I will go to the guys house in NY who got me in the game for another 6 day whitetail hunt. Next year I will be headed to Wyoming to another friends house who has given me unlimited access to stay there and hunt wherever I choose near the Montana border (I'll be with a couple other guys who also have no experience out there so that should be a good time). Looks like a hunt in January 2022 to another friends in Texas.

I have definitely counted my lucky stars knowing how fortunate I am to have so many friends that are so willing to help. I have also gained tons of info already on this site and bought and sold plenty gear from great people. Most the time I'm on my phone which makes writing an intro nearly impossible.

Starting a new challenge at this age sure has been interesting. Thanks again to all those on here who have helped and/or put information out there for others to learn.

JP

FLAK

WKR
You are definitely a blessed man!!!
You ever get to pick up any Keys deer sheds/dead heads?
Or maybe whack a few Iguana?

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Big Pine where the key deer live is 30 miles away and I never have a reason to go there unless I’m driving through to get to the mainland.

I do see them on the highway though. Some have impressive headgear for such tiny bodies.

I haven’t shot at any iguanas although I’ve been tempted. Houses are too close together. Near the water I’d lose every arrow. Everyone takes them out with pellet guns though. They are a huge nuisance.

Fatcamp

WKR
Went to the Keys last January. Absolutely loved it. We spearfish here but it is tough to find clear water. Took a snorkel charter and it was awesome.

Dang. Tickets for January are cheap right now.

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum!

I for one would love to see spear fishing pictures and learn more!
thanks. I’ll post a few below.
Flats fishing, and bowhunting are so similar its funny.

You need to find them, and when the time comes you have to make the shot.

Backcountry is stalking them, and out front is waiting for them to come down the trail.
Very true. I used to fly fish quite a bit. But Freediving compares more in my mind as you have to hold your breath and stay dead calm not to burn your oxygen while waiting for your dream fish. Imagine a bull elk coming through the bush and you have to hold your breath and keep your heart rate down in the 50-60 range until you fire.

Attachments

• 71961B9F-680F-4059-AE54-267BA3C51609.jpeg
    71961B9F-680F-4059-AE54-267BA3C51609.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 22
  • AFA8E405-94F6-4908-AEF8-B94E1B566C1C.jpeg
    AFA8E405-94F6-4908-AEF8-B94E1B566C1C.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 22
  • C10FBA2D-489B-429A-9A53-0D694B97AE97.jpeg
    C10FBA2D-489B-429A-9A53-0D694B97AE97.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 13C4D82D-BC42-4BC5-8191-1222CFF617EE.jpeg
    13C4D82D-BC42-4BC5-8191-1222CFF617EE.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 22
  • 2498A833-5A63-490A-9CBA-3B646F0089B6.jpeg
    2498A833-5A63-490A-9CBA-3B646F0089B6.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 22
  • 4D18D3EE-813F-401F-A898-4C25CA48F38A.jpeg
    4D18D3EE-813F-401F-A898-4C25CA48F38A.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 7A88D6AE-7876-4822-A899-39942D0C6598.jpeg
    7A88D6AE-7876-4822-A899-39942D0C6598.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 3EA901DC-B38B-4CAF-BE29-7469BC0FFC3A.jpeg
    3EA901DC-B38B-4CAF-BE29-7469BC0FFC3A.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 21
Ahhh the keys. Go get a cortadito from Cuban coffee queen and a chocolate croissant from old town bakery for me. I miss that place and need to go back pronto.

Welcome to bow hunting- you’re going to love it.

Fatcamp

WKR
So as a resident would mid-December or the end of January be a better time to visit? We went mid-January last year but spent most of our time around the northern Keys. Next trip plan on flying straight to Key West.

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you’re off to a good start! Glad to have you here and looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Thanks for sharing!🤙

Sal552

FNG
I'm way late on this but here goes. I didn't check my sign up date but it was earlier in the year if not late 2019. I am a Key West native, for those who don't know that's the southernmost point in the USA. I am a life long spearfisherman and have dug pretty deep into the sport the last decade traveling all over from Bahamas to Costa Rica, Louisiana, to Baja, up to Big Sur and many more. I exclusively free dive for everything from reef fish to shooting tuna and wahoo. I know, none of that matters here.

I've always thought using a bow to land hunt would be a great challenge. The sport aligns so much with spearfishing, the proximity to the animal, projectile, etc. Around September last year I had a good friend who owned a spearfishing company move to NY when he ended the business because he liked hunting so much. I finally had someone close enough to me to push me to the sport. He offered me the opportunity to join him so like everything I do I jumped in head first and swam to the bottom.

Now here I am, a 38 y.o. island guy looking to the mainland to start chasing different game. I absolutely love the technical aspect of bowhunting. Outside of a little break in June I have probably shot 4 times a week since I bought my bow in December.

I had no clue I knew so many people across the country from spearfishing that were also avid bowhunters. In October I have a 6 day whitetail hunt in North Carolina with a friend which has access to 5 or 6 properties equalling about 1,000 acres. In November I will go to the guys house in NY who got me in the game for another 6 day whitetail hunt. Next year I will be headed to Wyoming to another friends house who has given me unlimited access to stay there and hunt wherever I choose near the Montana border (I'll be with a couple other guys who also have no experience out there so that should be a good time). Looks like a hunt in January 2022 to another friends in Texas.

I have definitely counted my lucky stars knowing how fortunate I am to have so many friends that are so willing to help. I have also gained tons of info already on this site and bought and sold plenty gear from great people. Most the time I'm on my phone which makes writing an intro nearly impossible.

Starting a new challenge at this age sure has been interesting. Thanks again to all those on here who have helped and/or put information out there for others to learn.

JP

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome
Badass pictures
That grouper is large and in charge

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
So as a resident would mid-December or the end of January be a better time to visit? We went mid-January last year but spent most of our time around the northern Keys. Next trip plan on flying straight to Key West.

I don't think there will be much a difference. December may have less visitors and cheaper rates. I'll ask around.

Ahhh the keys. Go get a cortadito from Cuban coffee queen and a chocolate croissant from old town bakery for me. I miss that place and need to go back pronto.

Welcome to bow hunting- you’re going to love it.

Ha! I have a cortadito everyday. I haven't been to Cuban Coffee Queen in quite a while though.

Shrek

WKR
Welcome from a fellow conch. I don’t really miss all that much really. My memories have mostly been torn down and paved over. 4th of July bakery , B’s , jewfish sandwiches , turtle steaks , the old Mallory Square dock when it was abandoned and hidden by the pines. There was a carnival atmosphere every evening there. White St pier when you could drive out to the end. You’ll love hunting for sure ! BTW , you wouldn’t be a firefighter or related to one ? My uncle is retired from the fire department.