FNG from Maryland

Greetings from Annapolis, MD. Have started to plan my first back country hunt. Decided on elk in Colorado and just kept finding this site. Have already picked up a lot of good info and look forward to contributing what little I can.

I was planning my trip solo, as I don’t have any friends that hunt or would be up for this much work. But my wife and a couple of friends have offered to come along for the hiking, glassing and packing. We are all really excited to see that type of country. Hoping to filter the forum to find what GMUs would be best for glassing and what we are looking to do.
With it being my first Midwest hunt I am more interested in the experience and views than picking the most successful or easiest GMU. It will be my first and not my last.

Welcome. I’ll be in your neck of the woods next October. Staying in Columbia for a year. Excited to hunt there again for whitetail although I would like more places to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Calvert, did my first trip in 2018 to Colorado and hunted Idaho this year. I carry 8X32's don't do much glassing except to determine if that's a log or an elk :) Of course I am bowhunting, you going during bow or rifle ?

OP
M
I live in Calvert, did my first trip in 2018 to Colorado and hunted Idaho this year. I carry 8X32's don't do much glassing except to determine if that's a log or an elk :) Of course I am bowhunting, you going during bow or rifle ?
Very cool, I considered Idaho mule deer for the first one but ended up on CO elk.
I should have put that in the original. I am planning on grabbing an OTC tag for 2nd rifle season.

7Bartman

WKR
Welcome. I'm just north of you in AA county as well. I've been out to Idaho the last 5 years. My youtube channel Barthuntfish might have some helpful advice for you as a newcomer from the East.

OP
M
Welcome. I'm just north of you in AA county as well. I've been out to Idaho the last 5 years. My youtube channel Barthuntfish might have some helpful advice for you as a newcomer from the East.

Thanks I will check it out. Do you have any suggestions on meeting other hunters around here, like any clubs or anything? I have only met a few other hunters here and they are only interested in still hunting the eastern shore.

7Bartman

WKR
Thanks I will check it out. Do you have any suggestions on meeting other hunters around here, like any clubs or anything? I have only met a few other hunters here and they are only interested in still hunting the eastern shore.
Not really. I'm from the Eastern Shore so I usually hunt over there. Everyone is particularly interested in sika deer these days.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome ! Always cool to see more Maryalnd guys pop up here. I'm out west of Hagerstown.

Welcome! I'm from south AA county (Shady Side). Been trying to figure a way west for the past three years, but two young kids, job change, and fear of actually killing one and not being able to get it out have hamstrung me so far. In the meantime, I plan, prepare, hunt locally, etc..

Hard to meet hunters around here that have an interest in going west. None of my hunting buddies (from years ago) have any interest, unless it involves spending a shit ton of money (guided). or 'Buy a half a cow' they tell me. My main goal in hunting the west is to teach my kids (4 and 6) that it can be done. Bringing home meat is #2. I'd forego a lot of horns just to have a freezer full of elk every year...

Good luck to you. Report back!

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, for work I live in Baltimore County but have hunted all over the country. I am headed west Thursday of this week. Wyoming for antelope then mule deer. I know this is a heavy diy site but I would recommend for a first trip out west using an outfitter or a buddy that is seasoned. It will save you a lot of time and effort.
I spent a couple miserable hunts like backpacking for blacktail in California and otc archery in colorado with every atv/utv/first timer that could drive there and those experiences were great, no harvests, but needed. Those experiences positioned me for success down the road but I had to learn from someone, my stepdad.
If nothing else diy and learn a very hard way but very rewarding. Keep expectations in check and always expect everything to be harder and more expensive than planned bc plain and simple sht happens

Are you a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers ? The Capital region encompasses DC, Virginia and Maryland. If you want to talk sometime shoot me a text and we can set it up 443 532 8947

@Antarctica same goes for you... I'm no expert but I have been there, done that from Maryland

OP
M
Welcome, for work I live in Baltimore County but have hunted all over the country. I am headed west Thursday of this week. Wyoming for antelope then mule deer. I know this is a heavy diy site but I would recommend for a first trip out west using an outfitter or a buddy that is seasoned. It will save you a lot of time and effort.
I spent a couple miserable hunts like backpacking for blacktail in California and otc archery in colorado with every atv/utv/first timer that could drive there and those experiences were great, no harvests, but needed. Those experiences positioned me for success down the road but I had to learn from someone, my stepdad.
If nothing else diy and learn a very hard way but very rewarding. Keep expectations in check and always expect everything to be harder and more expensive than planned bc plain and simple sht happens

Thanks for your insight. I only started hunting 2 years ago here in Maryland but I honestly just don’t love still hunting. I want to be on my feet and moving. I have thought about an outfitter but just am so green I’m not sure what to look for. Seems like outfitters can really vary. I have seen stories on here of places that are basically lodges where you have a room you stay in, not sure that’s what I am looking for (not that it’s even available for Colorado elk) and others that just set you up and guide you. I’ll start researching.

Any other idea other than CO elk that I could do over the counter for my first one? Would love somewhere where I could do a combo hunt.

OP
M
Are you a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers ? The Capital region encompasses DC, Virginia and Maryland. If you want to talk sometime shoot me a text and we can set it up 443 532 8947

@Antarctica same goes for you... I'm no expert but I have been there, done that from Maryland
I am not, haven’t heard of it but will join up tonight. Lookout for a text.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome