FNG from MN

Howdy all, new guy here from Minnesota. Have been a lurker for a while, appreciate all the knowledge out there. Here is a pic of my bear baiting rig.

Attachments

• Fatty with trailer.jpg
    Fatty with trailer.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 18

TheGDog

WKR
Hey man, curious here, do you find the Fat Tire itself gives you enough "suspension" or do you find yourself sometimes missing having front suspension?

OP
Sulliesbrew
On my last hard tail mountain bike I rode with the fork locked out so much that when I bought this I wasn't concerned about having suspension. The mountain bike trails around here tend to be pretty smooth, so not needed there, def don't need it on snow and plan on using this as my gravel bike too...

If you are a decent bike rider, the fat tires should be plenty, I ran pretty hard tires for this, I should have run closer to 9 psi, I think I was around 12...

TheGDog

WKR
Hehe... yeah, I probably fall into the category of "decent" rider.

001_1.JPG

How much does that bike right there weigh? (What size frame is it?)

Problem is I've got this one area to hunt where it's like 7 miles down a road they don't allow the public to drive on to get down in there. It's all downhill going in... so means it's all uphill going out. So a couple times I've brought my old '92 Specialized Hardtail down in there to make use of gravity so I'm only doing half the journey, to help conserve energy expenditure. But speeds can get ramp up quick and there's a lot of shale stone in some spots littering the dirt road, so that makes me nervy about hittin' stuff like that with any kind of speed with only the Fat Tire as the "suspension".

WP_20160821_006.jpg

This is an exaggeration of the shale stone issue I mentioned.

One time after a rain, as I approached a corner, THANKFULLY... there was a Doe with some of her herd I saw on the other side of this big U in the road... so I stopped so I could watch them and not spook them. Rolled around the corner and my eyes were met with this! (this pic is from below that mess). Whoa... so glad that Doe caused me to stop ahead of time!

WP_20170820_005.jpg

But yeah. Been considering a Fat Tire bike for in there. Figure the low pressure situation and large tires might help with the pinch flats you can sometimes get when you occasionally smack across a piece of the shale stone.

OP
Sulliesbrew
This is a Salsa Beargrease size M. I upgraded it to XTR shifter, XT derailuer, HED BHAD wheels, carbon bars and SRAM LEVEL LT brakes. It is sitting at around 25 pounds I would guess. It is noticeably lighter than my wife's bone stock size S.

Using your sane brain, not your gap jump brain, you should be able to navigate that rock garden just fine.

I shot a bear 4 miles from the truck last year, the trail is mostly up hill (but not steep 2%ish) from my bait to the truck and it took me 5 hours over 2 trips... That is on overgrown snowmobile trails.