FNG from New Zealand

Hi Ya’ll

I’ve found a lot of good info on this forum over the years from projectile and powder options to clothing and packs and optics too!

So thought I should finally join and share some of my experiences.

Have built a couple of custom hunting rifles now, Howa LA 284 and currently working on a Sako 30Nosler

Mostly hunting Red Deer but we have plenty of other species of deer, Chamois and Tahr

Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

IDBB96

FNG
Welcome! From what I've heard about the hunting scene in NZ, it seems like a bit of a free for all since all species are non-native. Would you agree?

Also heard you guys have Rocky Mountain Elk, the same species many of us hunt here in the West of the USA. Have you ever gotten the chance to chase any of those?

OP
Reloader75
Welcome! From what I've heard about the hunting scene in NZ, it seems like a bit of a free for all since all species are non-native. Would you agree?

Also heard you guys have Rocky Mountain Elk, the same species many of us hunt here in the West of the USA. Have you ever gotten the chance to chase any of those?

Thanks

That would be what we call Wapiti and are found in Fiordland down south.
It’s pretty narley country that you need to be fit and experienced in! Well I’m neither
Fairly new to hunting so stick to my local spots for meat animals mostly.
I’d love to do a Wapiti hunt one day, you have to apply and get picked from a ballet and then chopper into your designated block for the days your allowed there, and then can only shoot bulls over certain age.
That’s how I believe it goes anyway?

They also introduced Moose down there but they didn’t last. Although some still believe they’re there and there are still reports of sightings!
Last one that was shot was like 50 odd years ago!

Yes, we’re pretty lucky here as far as hunting introduced pest animals on public land!

Cheers

OP
Reloader75
“Last one that was shot was like 50 odd years ago!”

Actually 70 years ago, 1951 was the last reported Moose shot in New Zealand! FYI

NEO

FNG
Let us know when you start offering guide trips to NZ. I'll be your first client looking to get over there and do some hunting

bluumoon

WKR
My good buddy just moved to the South Island, already harvesting animals with his Yank rifle 30-06. Maybe he'll chime in.

Hey there, new guy as well. One of my good buddies is from NZ. He's definitely the guy from NZ who always wears shorts.