FNG from northern CA

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, just got into deer hunting the last 2 years in D3-5. Skunked so far but learning a lot and loving it, looking to get a pack for a 3 day-ish hunt. If anyone has any recommendations I'm open to suggestions. Anyways, I've been finding the site helpful and thought I'd post.

DavePwns

WKR
Welcome to the forum 👍d3-5 is tough hunting but very rewarding when you put in the work and find animals

Some smokin' deals on premium packs here in the classifieds and for hauling your gear and packing out an animal you can't go wrong with a Kifaru.

OP
P
Some smokin' deals on premium packs here in the classifieds and for hauling your gear and packing out an animal you can't go wrong with a Kifaru.
Awesome, that was my main reason for joining, I've been reading great things about kifaru. Just curious, would you choose a similar size one over a mystery ranch metcalf?

OP
P
Welcome to the forum 👍d3-5 is tough hunting but very rewarding when you put in the work and find animals
Thanks! Ya I need to get in better hunting shape for next season, those zones kicked my ass. Hopefully they'll allow overnight camping (outside of a campground) next year

Awesome, that was my main reason for joining, I've been reading great things about kifaru. Just curious, would you choose a similar size one over a mystery ranch metcalf?
I don't compromise when buying high end packs. I want a pack that can do it all. For most applications I just run a light Hunter frame with Cargo Panel and some pouches w/ a Guide lid. If hauling in a camp, it all goes in a dry bag leaving me with an ultralight day pack.

flatpack.JPG
KIFARUPACK3.jpg

For bivy hunts or longer camping trips I take a DT1 loaded with pouches, gives me over 11,000ci...it's my condo. But once i dump the camp gear it too shrinks up pretty tight although is not as light at the CP pack.

lightened backpack.jpg
rondy6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
P
I don't compromise when buying high end packs. I want a pack that can do it all. For most appoi8cations I just run a light Hunter frame with Cargo Panel and some pouches. If hauling in a camp, it all goes in a dry bag leaving me with an ultralight day pack.

View attachment 235213
View attachment 235214

For bivy hunts or longer camping trips I take a DT1 loaded with pouches, gives me over 11,000ci...it's my condo. But once i dump the camp gear it too shrinks up pretty tight although is not as light at the CP pack.

View attachment 235216
View attachment 235220
Thank you for the reply, those look like awesome setups that can handle pretty much any trip. Do you find the fully loaded DT1 somewhat comfortable at that weight (as comfortable as that much can be anyways)? I've read that's where the kifarus excel is comfort at heavier loads compared to other brands.

Oh yeah. I could not carry 85+lbs in another pack. I wasted years and coin on lesser packs that I could "try on" before committing to a Kifaru. The buy once-cry once thing is real. For me, the load feels 20% lighter in a Kifaru. I nearly died wearing this old Sitka Bivy 45.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Last edited:
OP
P
Oh yeah. I could not carry 85+lbs in another pack. I wasted years and coin on lesser packs that I could "try on" before committing to a Kifaru. The buy once-cry once thing is real. For me, the load feels 20% lighter in a Kifaru. I nearly died wearing this old Sitka Bivy 45.

View attachment 235329

View attachment 235330
Awesome, thank you for all of the info and pics, that helps a lot with my decision