FNG from Oregon

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! Been on this site for a few months, love it!! Check it every day and bought quite a few pieces of gear already. In the marine corps as a mortarman in the infantry, currently on my 2nd Iraq deployment. Born and raised in northwestern Oregon, hunting blacktail and rosies my whole life but moving to Montana when I get out in a few months! On to bigger and better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born and raised on the Oregon coast, Newport. Live in North Idaho now. Hopefully you'll get some good tag discounts for being a veteran. New here as well but welcome!

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Born and raised on the Oregon coast, Newport. Live in North Idaho now. Hopefully you'll get some good tag discounts for being a veteran. New here as well but welcome!

Hell yeah man! I’ll be in Idaho for a few months for lineman school before venturing over to mt. I wish man, most places only give a discount if you’re 40%+ disabled and thats pretty hard to do these days. My body is all sorts of screwed from being mortarman in the infantry (hiking EVERYWHERE with heavy packs plus gun gear) but they won’t count it as “service related”. Pretty dumb but it is what it is! The discounts I get for Sitka, first lite, vortex, leupold, nightforce, kestrel and soooo many more is definitely worth it. Especially Sitka and vortex

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Mortarman? I'd be surprised if you didn't have disability qualifying hearing loss.

Funny you say that, I’ve lost almost half my hearing in my right ear haha, my last check up my right side was -45 which is terrible since I got in. But the marine corps says that the “program” they put in place for hearing protection is good enough to take all disability away from any service related hearing loss...

Hell yeah man! I’ll be in Idaho for a few months for lineman school before venturing over to mt. I wish man, most places only give a discount if you’re 40%+ disabled and thats pretty hard to do these days. My body is all sorts of screwed from being mortarman in the infantry (hiking EVERYWHERE with heavy packs plus gun gear) but they won’t count it as “service related”. Pretty dumb but it is what it is! The discounts I get for Sitka, first lite, vortex, leupold, nightforce, kestrel and soooo many more is definitely worth it. Especially Sitka and vortex

That's crap for you guys imo, should at least get a discount for being honorable discharge military. What part of Idaho is your school? Discounts on gear is great, especially Vortex and Nightforce. I lived in MT for about a year and a half total as well. Love the west side.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
That's crap for you guys imo, should at least get a discount for being honorable discharge military. What part of Idaho is your school? Discounts on gear is great, especially Vortex and Nightforce. I lived in MT for about a year and a half total as well. Love the west side.

Yeah I feel the same way, not trying to say I deserve anything, it would just be nice haha. It’s down in meridian! And what part of mt? Yeah I love the western side as well. I’m shooting for butte, that’s the lineman local I’m gonna go for.

I lke Butte, been their a few times, spent St. Patricks day there. They always have the best festivals and fun stuff going on. I lived in Missoula for 9 months while my wife was finishing pharmacy school and Helena for 6 months during her rotations. I believe Butte has much much less of the yuppy subaru crowd. Big mining town, older industrial type buildings. Good place to be for hunting I would assume. Never hunted MT as I didn't have residency.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I lke Butte, been their a few times, spent St. Patricks day there. They always have the best festivals and fun stuff going on. I lived in Missoula for 9 months while my wife was finishing pharmacy school and Helena for 6 months during her rotations. I believe Butte has much much less of the yuppy subaru crowd. Big mining town, older industrial type buildings. Good place to be for hunting I would assume. Never hunted MT as I didn't have residency.

My wife has family that live in Missoula and she loves it there but there’s only a few locals in mt and I think I’d love butte, it sounds like my kind of place. Less Subaru drivers, happier me! Haha and it’ll be great having residency in MT so I can hunt a great state without paying the high non res price and then just jump over to Idaho every other year or so for cheaper out of stare hunts

My wife has family that live in Missoula and she loves it there but there’s only a few locals in mt and I think I’d love butte, it sounds like my kind of place. Less Subaru drivers, happier me! Haha and it’ll be great having residency in MT so I can hunt a great state without paying the high non res price and then just jump over to Idaho every other year or so for cheaper out of stare hunts

Sounds like you've got a good situation there. If you do happen to want an Idaho trip, send me a message on here and maybe we could meet up next year or something. Always looking for good people to run around the woods with.