FNG from San Diego CA

calreef18

FNG
Hi guys, lots of great info on the site just looking to learn as much as I can. New hunter just did my HSC last year. Have my archery equipment, building up the firearm collection also. Would like to hunt deer, bear, turkey, waterfowl and dove/quail this season. Need to get a few more pieces of gear but starting to scout and learn the local Cleveland National Forest.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome to the forum! We love SD; great food, great weather, cool people (for California 😁 )

Zak89

FNG
I'm from the same area, good to see others from Southern CA :)

Zak89

FNG
Any local hunting meetups or classes? Is that a thing?
Look into the Advanced Hunter Ed courses offered by CA Fish and Wildlife, I've attended 3 of those and they are well worth the time: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education/advanced

The NWTF San Diego Chapter has monthly meetings, it's worth attending -- they're all good guys.

There's also a forum called SCH Outdoors, a lot of the guys there are from SD.

OP
C

calreef18

FNG
Thanks Zak! I’ll be sure to check it out. I’ve done my bow hunter education and would like to learn more. I’ll check out the other forum and been meaning to go to one of the NWTF meets as well. Did you go to the turkey tune up this year?

Zak89

FNG
Yep! Did you? I drew last year but not this time. :(

Did you do your bowhunter education at Escondido F&G? I'm not aware of other places that offer the class, but I've been wanting to get into archery since I'm relatively new too (did my hunter's ed two years ago).

OP
C

calreef18

FNG
No I couldn’t attend I was out of town. Never been but here it’s fun and a lot of good info.

I did do my bow hunter education, it was pretty basic but learned some good things and now I have it for other states that may require it. Also get a chance to shoot some 3-D at the end of the class just bring your equipment.