FNG from Texas, howdy!

I am a new guy on here from the Houston area. I am 24 years old and have been hunting since I was about 12 years old. My first hunt was a dove hunt and I instantly fell in love with it. Being that young the only hunting I was exposed to was primarily what my father got invited to hunt, as we do not own any land. He was in a position when he was working where he would hire brokers to work on projects. Because of that, we have always been taken hunting on private ranches and deer leases mostly in south Texas. Since my first hunt I have been hunting white tails, hogs, ducks, and dove.

This past year I fell in love with the show MeatEater and began wishing Texas had more access to public land. Last year my buddy and I did a bunch of research, and after getting the proper licenses we went on our first public duck hunt. Overall that was a great experience and we met some guys that showed us the ropes on hunting that area and duck hunting in general. We were and are still complete amateurs.

Another friend and I are looking into doing our first elk hunt in the 2020 season. We would like to do a DIY backpacking hunt over the course of about 5 days in Colorado or Idaho during rifle season. Growing up hunting private land we are very unprepaired gear wise and especially lightweight backpacking. I have been researching gear and proper clothing but we all know how overwhelming that can be.

I have also been working on getting in shape physically. This past year I have lost around 80 pounds and have never felt better. Most of my weight was lost with simple changes in diet. I will be getting into lifting weights and climbing stairs this week. I know this hunt will be challenging and will be the most physically challenging thing I have ever done whether we are successful or not.

It seems like a large majority of hunters that are focused on talking about hunting elk online seem to prioritize archery hunting or perhaps it is more accessible and easier to find. There seems to be a much smaller portion of content related to hunting elk during the rifle season and post-rut. If anyone can share helpful articles, resources, or forms that specifically address this I would appreciate it.

It is also very intimidating to pick a unit to hunt elk in whether its Colorado or Idaho. It seems like these two states have the best availability for tags but looking at the success rates it seems incredibly challenging. If anyone has any tips for how to narrow down a unit to hunt from the hundreds of options I would appreciate it.

I have a few general questions about Rokslide. I saw a form last week that was directed towards new users. I belive it said I needed to make 10 posts in order to unlock certain privileges but I am not able to find it. What all do I need to do in order to post comments and send private messages? I would like to send PMs to people posting in the classified forms so I can take advantage of sweet deals.

If you have made it this far in my long rant and pleads for advice I appreciate it. I would love to get into public land hunting but from a new guys perspective, it can be overwhelming at times. Thanks guys!

Welcome from a fellow Texan! Yes, I believe you need to have 10 posts to post in the classified section.

welcome! i spent a little time in San Antonio. cool city wish i had the opportunity to see more of it.

yes, 10 posts to be able to post in the classified or send PMs and the user has to wait 7 days i believe.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! I leave tomorrow for my first rifle elk hunt in Wyoming. Also grew up with deer, hog, duck, and dove only.

Welcome from another Texan, down in Port Aransas area myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Welcome
(From Katy, TX)

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.