FNG in Houston, TX

jaredlef

FNG
Howdy!

I've been lurking and posting occasionally on the forum for a little bit now. I just moved to Houston from Boston. I'm trying to figure out public land hunting down here and would love to connect with some Roksliders. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. If anyone wants to get together to scout for whitetail and/or waterfowl in the nearby National Forests/Refuges or fling some arrows or do some hiking/backpacking, PM me!

Any recommendations on archery ranges/clubs in the Houston area to join? Anyone been to Buffalo Field Archery Club?

Jared

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Jared. Can't help you out but plenty of Texans around here

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bounds

WKR
Welcome! I'm in Cleveland, about 45 mins north of Houston. I'm not much help for local clubs, but if you want to get out and shoot/scout, I'm right on the edge of the national forest.

I just moved back here from Austin. I've got family land to hunt on but plan on hunting in the national forest this year as well. So feel free to hit me up if you want to go scout in this area.

Andrew

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome to Rokslide Jared. I used to live in Seabrook (late 70's) but can't help you with anything current. Use to be some good wade fishing for Specks in Seabrook. Good luck.

Hello. I'm in Beaumont just north east of you. Hunting public land in east Texas is tough but can be successful. You will need a tree climber for sure. I hunt up around Toledo Bend in the Sabine National Forest. Find white oak trees around creek bottoms and wear snake boots. That's all I got sorry. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I moved here a year ago. Hunted in SAM Houston a good bit last year. Didn't connect, still learning the area, but here is what I can tell you thus far:

1- Buy a climber, it's mostly pine trees. Tall, tall pine trees.
2- Don't bother hunting opening weekend. Not even for archery. EVERYBODY in TX has an AR and a crossbow, so the woods are packed for both of them. Stay home instead and impress your spouse with how much she means to you that you're willing to sacrifice opening day to be with her.
3- much like OTC elk in CO, don't pass on anything. shoot the very first legal deer that gives you an opportunity.

You can only harvest a buck in SHNF during rifle season unless you draw an antlerless tag, so you'll want to think about putting in for one of them.