FNG in NC

Dagger53

FNG
Hey, new guy chiming in from NC. Originally from Southern California, and currently in North Carolina, but I've lived all over the world in the military.

I'm a pretty new hunter - I grew up in a shooting and outdoors family, but didn't know anybody that hunted. Started with dove, fall turkey, and deer in Tennessee last season (archery and rifle)...pretty well hooked and would like to venture further afield. Recently purchased a Tikka T3x in 7RM with the goal that someday soon, I might make my way (back) west and chase mulies, elk, or speed goats...in the meantime, I'm set up for saddle hunting in the Carolina Sandhills for next month.

I spend a good amount of time reading and learning from the forum here, so making it official (at least a bit).

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
Dagger53

Dagger53

FNG
Welcome from Greensboro! Where about in NC are you?
Thanks!. "In transit" but closing on a house in Carthage in about a week. Looking forward to hunting Bragg, Sandhills game lands, perhaps Uwharrie...I've spent some time in the Smokies, Nantahala, Stone Mountain chasing trout, but I have my work cut out for me scouting public land this close to the season opening.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!. "In transit" but closing on a house in Carthage in about a week. Looking forward to hunting Bragg, Sandhills game lands, perhaps Uwharrie...I've spent some time in the Smokies, Nantahala, Stone Mountain chasing trout, but I have my work cut out for me scouting public land this close to the season opening.
Cool deal, I've got a good buddy thats at Bragg and living in Cameron. There is also a really active BHA group around bragg if you're into that. Some good hunting to be had, but I'm not too much help. Have heard of good deer on Bragg and turkeys for sure.

OP
Dagger53

Dagger53

FNG
I'm a BHA member but missed most of the events at my last duty station. A buddy is on the national board, and I like what they stand for/advocate for. I have reached out to the Bragg folks, hope I have a bit more time this round to be more involved.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. It’s an excellent resource. I’m over in Goldsboro not to far from you.

If you haven’t got them yet a good quality pair of briar pants and a thermacell will be your best friend

I'm also a new hunter in central NC! I'm up by the triangle though. If you get a chance to hunt Bragg, I'd love to hear how it goes. I thought about going for it but I think I'll have enough to cover with the public land around me this year.