FNG in (soon to be at least) Kodiak

Stush

FNG
I’ve been in Texas for the last few years, but as of this weekend, we are making the permanent trek to Kodiak, AK. Found this site/forum while looking for hunting info on AK, so I decided to join to hopefully learn and share.

Kishi88

FNG
Welcome! That sounds like a very exciting move. I'm from Oklahoma (have spent lots of time in Texas), and I imagine that's a huge lifestyle transition. You came to the right place for info! Lots of smart brains to pick.

OP
S

Stush

FNG
Thanks guys. We are getting settled in, and its definitely different, but Im loving it so far. Weve explored a little, been out and about quite a bit in the last week hiking, and yet, surprisingly no bear sightings. Nevermind that one has been in our driveway, and a neighbor got a pic of it when it moseyed down the road, and thats as close as Ive come.

Looking forward to finishing settling in, learning more locally and on here.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks guys. We are getting settled in, and its definitely different, but Im loving it so far. Weve explored a little, been out and about quite a bit in the last week hiking, and yet, surprisingly no bear sightings. Nevermind that one has been in our driveway, and a neighbor got a pic of it when it moseyed down the road, and thats as close as Ive come.

Looking forward to finishing settling in, learning more locally and on here.

AKwoodchuck hit the nail on the head- salmon this year, with the exception of Kings, are booming. I'll be up there about the same time as you doing an early Blacktail hunt. Jealous that you get to stay past August.

OP
S

Stush

FNG
I got my first fly rod, and some advice on where to go. The gentleman who's advising on where to go said a few places he advised will help me figure out where to hunt as well. At least deer and if I ever get a bear tag.

Funny enough, of the three places in town Ive been, all of which are pleasant, Ive got different bear advice from almost everyone Ive talked to. I was skipping internet advice because of how scatter brained it seemed, but knowledge on the ground seems to be about the same. I guess Ill just do the middle ground, 10mm and bear spray while out and about, make noise instead of sneaking about in nature like I'm used to, and keep my fish vs give them anything I catch.

Anyone else in Alaska, or specifically Kodiak? Loving it here so far, but wondering where all the rain I was promised is hiding. Not that I am hating the sunshine and ability to see for miles at a time and getting some great pictures because of it.

If you haven't seen the Alaska Outdoors Forum, check it out....wealth of local knowledge there:

OP
S

Stush

FNG
If you haven't seen the Alaska Outdoors Forum, check it out....wealth of local knowledge there:

Thanks, I had found that forum previously. Best part so far for me (havent read much or signed up there just yet) is that the page main pic is of the harbor on Kodiak. Ill be digging in to it more in the coming days.

Mt Al

WKR
Haven't been there forever but worked a summer for a cannery. I'm very curious what lead you from Texas to Kodiak, such amazingly different places. Been in other parts of Alaska quite a bit, and Texas here and there. Can't imagine much better than being on the Texas coast in the winter, Kodiak or SE Alaska in the summer. A guy can dream!