FNG moving to Oregon

Midwestern guy moving to Oregon. Appreciate all the info you guys have up already. Now time to get into mountain shape danger some gear that I'll need. Not to mention these hunting rules I got to try and understand lol

IdahoBeav

WKR
Welcome!

Which part of Oregon are you moving to? It's one of the most diverse states.

OP
Cstone4985
My job is in Portland Oregon. Up railroad. Really looking forward to finally being able to hunt for elk and mule deer. Going to be a big learning curve compared to Illinois whitetail hunting. Need a good pack and boots. Already have a two man tent that will do till I get the necessary equipment first. Just kinda hard understanding these new hunting rules. Can't wait till actually get boots on the ground tho.

541hunter

WKR
Welcome! I'm in southern Oregon. Just pm me with any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cstone4985
Thanks 541hunter. I probably will once I get thru this rule book. I've already have questions popping up lol

OP
Cstone4985
Not sure on how to hunt blacktails. If it's anything like Illinois whitetail hunting. Such as travel corridors, food sources they use and deer bedding areas I can definitely do that. Might have to look into blcktail habits

DRUSS

WKR
Welcome to the forum,and to Oregon. A short call to the odfw could help too pretty helpful people there. But yes the rule book can be a little overwhelming at first

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. My guess is once you get into your first bugling bull close encounter, you'll forget all about whitetail. Welcome to Oregon too!

OP
Cstone4985
Hey guys thanks. Just one question. What are some parks that a person can backpack hunt. I've been on the Oregon hunting map website and most say no camping. Not looking for spots just the name of the parks. Is it most public land otc tags? you can pm if you feel more comfortable doing that way.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I think what you refer to as 'parks' we refer to as 'wilderness areas'. If you're a bowhunter, I think most of our wilderness areas are over the counter archery tags. Places like the Eagle Caps, NF John Day, Strawberry Mtns are all in over the counter areas I believe as well as I think part of the Hells Canyon wilderness. This link shows where all these areas are across the state: Wilderness.net - U.S. National Wilderness Preservation System Map. Cross reference that with game regs before takiny word for it though.

Welcome! If you're in the Portland area you have tons of oppurtunity out towards the Mt Hood area as well. 1 of my best friends is a bridge inspector in the northwest for U.P., good job you have. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help. I'm afew hours south of you in Cottage Grove

OP
Cstone4985
Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry haven't had time with all the selling of the house here and finding a place in Portland. So far what I have been reasearchinf on here is really great info. Thanks to all that have contributed. I do have one question as my primary hunting will be backpacking. What does every think of the floorless shelter. I like the idea of it but my concern is mesquitos. Are they bad in Oregon area. Illinois is really bad especially near water. If they aren't I'll probably go floorless if they are looking at the tarptent motrail.