FNG planning elk hunt

What’s up everyone. I am planning an elk hunt in Colorado for 2021. I have been hunting for a long time but never had to pack meat out. The more I read about backcountry hunting the more excited I get. I know I have a lot to learn for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garrison

FNG
What’s up everyone. I am planning an elk hunt in Colorado for 2021. I have been hunting for a long time but never had to pack meat out. The more I read about backcountry hunting the more excited I get. I know I have a lot to learn for sure!

Do you have points?

RadScorpy

FNG
Welcome, I'm new here as well and live in Colorado, feel free to hit me up, I'm taking a break this year but may go elk hunting in 2021.

OP
M
Welcome, I'm new here as well and live in Colorado, feel free to hit me up, I'm taking a break this year but may go elk hunting in 2021.

Thanks! I will once I get an idea on where to focus. Why are u taking a break?

RadScorpy

FNG
Thanks! I will once I get an idea on where to focus. Why are u taking a break?

Hunting buddy's truck broke down last fall in the middle of nowhere WY last year, this year the same buddy got sick while we were in the middle of no where this spring turkey season here, likely being stalked by a bear or mountain lion, I need to wait out the curse.

Hey Rad - what part of CO are you from? I did a second season rifle hunt last year up near Steamboat. What a great place!

OP
M
Hunting buddy's truck broke down last fall in the middle of nowhere WY last year, this year the same buddy got sick while we were in the middle of no where this spring turkey season here, likely being stalked by a bear or mountain lion, I need to wait out the curse.

Dang, I would take a break too!!

psirus7

WKR
Welcome to RokSlide! Lots of great resources here...you don’t need crazy expensive gear!

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. Backcountry hunting is a great experience and tests your gear systems and fitness. Have fun and good luck!

jed218

FNG
Looking at doing our second trip out this year as well lots of good info on here gathered over a couple years!

OP
M
You got any units in mind?

I am all over the place now. I am looking up in the 214 area then down by Grand Junction. It looks like it is different country between the north and central parts of Colorado

BigKuda

FNG
welcome just remember start with the main 3 in my opinion 1) pack 2) boots 3) sleep system