FNG SoCal from South Carolina

My name is Eddie, I'm 29, born and raised in York, South Carolina. Served six years in the US Navy as a search and rescue swimmer. Got out and stayed in San Diego California, been 0ut about 5 years, lots of hardship trying to find my purpose. Just got hired on with La County Fire Department. With the benefits/pension of LA County its a no brainer I will have to ride out the next 14 years or so out here. Since I was in the military I had no time to commit to bow hunting and I barely could make it home to hunt. Living in Cali is not really ideal but with La County fire I can build a decent life for myself. I'm honestly looking forward to serving the people and saving lives just like I did in the military. I hate that I won't be able to be back home and do all the things I love regarding hunting but I'll be able to make enough money to go on guide trips and that's the goal. Work my ass off and go on one badass trip somewhere a year and create some awesome memories. Being at the level of hunter I am it only seems the next step is bowhunting. I'm looking to build my network of hunters outside my hometown friends. My main thing is looking for forums about hunting outfitters and things revolving that so when I do pull the trigger I know it will be a well thought out calculated decision. I'm also trying to get into the mule deer out here in California which involves packing in and camp using the spot/stalk method. I just built a sales order for a new Matthews bow and I'll most likely go on a hog hunt in central, ca to break the jitters, and knock something down. I'm very happy to be here and can't wait to be in the woods again, felt like I haven't seen a tree in a long time, haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to Rokslide and SoCal.

Unfortunately, learning to hunt SoCal with consistent success can take years. I do not recommend starting here bowhunting. But if you're set on it, go for it. In Ca you can get 2 deer tags, hopefully you already applied for the draw. If not, there are leftover tags. Archery hunts start next month, so you might want to get after it if you haven't already.

Good luck!

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome!

SoCal deer hunting is tough. Hunting with a bow makes it tougher. If you're here for the long run, you might as well get started. Best of luck.

OP
E
Welcome!

SoCal deer hunting is tough. Hunting with a bow makes it tougher. If you're here for the long run, you might as well get started. Best of luck.

Do you pack in and stay out for your hunting down here? Or do you even hunt down here in SoCal?

cmeyer733

FNG
Welcome. Too late this year to get a decent archery deer tag, but there are some good areas to be found up north a little ways, if you are willing to put in some miles and think outside the box a bit.

Good luck

OP
E
Welcome. Too late this year to get a decent archery deer tag, but there are some good areas to be found up north a little ways, if you are willing to put in some miles and think outside the box a bit.

Good luck

Thank you, I mean I'm def. going to give it an honest shot. I plan on going on a guided hunt in the midwest to hit that whitetail itch every year. This year I'm not sweating it too much as I'm just getting settle into my new career and more so trying to get myself ready to go for next year. I don't want to drive too far up north 6 hours max probably if I'm going to pack in and camp. I'm down in Point Loma/San Diego if that helps. Was hoping to find some good areas around me.

cmeyer733

FNG
Well you arent far from D16, there are lots of deer, but lots of people as well. Shot my first buck in that unit and never went back because it wasnt worth the hassle of people haha.

OP
E
Well you arent far from D16, there are lots of deer, but lots of people as well. Shot my first buck in that unit and never went back because it wasnt worth the hassle of people haha.

Types of information that is invaluable to me. If you were living in my location with the goal of pursuing a mature buck what zones or how far should I be going to get away from the crowds. I have no problem packing in and camping my ass off but the zones are just something out of my comprehension with not growing up here.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
There are definitely deer to hunt in SoCal. D16 would be the best zone for you in SD. It's sold out this year, but that won't stop you from finding deer and learning an area. There are places to backpack hunt too. It just takes time and effort to find the deer. Find water!

OP
E
There are definitely deer to hunt in SoCal. D16 would be the best zone for you in SD. It's sold out this year, but that won't stop you from finding deer and learning an area. There are places to backpack hunt too. It just takes time and effort to find the deer. Find water!

Well, that's good to know. Once I get settled in with La County fire I might end up moving eventually to be closer, I just don't see myself loving the big city up there. Right now I'm focusing on learning how to backpack hunt and the tools needed for it, I'll start with just backpacking and spotting to learn areas for next year. The even better thing is the lady is interested in going to which is pretty exciting.

JakeSCH

WKR
Welcome!

Not much of an archery hunter yet, but have been successful with my rifle (D14 / D16). That said, there are deer on public land throughout So Cal and you can go grab a OTC archery only (AO) tag and hunt any D zone in both archery and general (with archery equipment only).

Highly recommend getting OnX maps, targeting areas on national forest and BLM...

OP
E
Welcome!

Not much of an archery hunter yet, but have been successful with my rifle (D14 / D16). That said, there are deer on public land throughout So Cal and you can go grab a OTC archery only (AO) tag and hunt any D zone in both archery and general (with archery equipment only).

Highly recommend getting OnX maps, targeting areas on national forest and BLM...

Man, I must've read your mind. Exactly what I was just doing on OnX just now. I'm looking at the border areas closer to Mexico. That's good to hear though, once I get me a list of places to check out, I'm going to talk to a Warden and double-check that I'm in the green to check them out and get on it. Super pumped to get a Cali deer and in a different way than I'm used to.