FNG Texas Aggie

TxAg2017

FNG
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for a little over a year. I live in the DFW area. I always associated western hunting with figures >$5k per hunt and always wrote it off as a dream. With a little research and hope I found out how easy it is to at least get out there and get some experience. I did my first western hunt with a rifle OTC in Idaho last year and got absolutely hooked (even though I only saw one bear and no elk). I was severely uneducated and my hunting partner was severely under-prepared physically. Basically everywhere I had scouted and planned to go was too high or too far for him (in hindsight I probably should have expected it and created the plan for that scenario). He tapped out after 5 days and we reluctantly started the long trip back home. I immediately got on my notes app and started jotting down learning points that I wanted to takeaway and remember, as well as topics I should go and learn for the next year that I found myself questioning in the field.

I bought a bow in November and have shot it 3-5 times a week since then. I spend just about every day dreaming of getting into the woods in September. I did a quick 4 day scouting trip in May to get some boots on the ground in Colorado. I'm planning a trip to Colorado (probably OTC unless I get a leftover tag). I appreciate all the help and info people are willing to share here, it has helped me learn a lot of various info about gear and general hunting preparedness over the past year. I hope to one day be able to pay it forward and help out some new guys once I get some experience under my belt.

pherrley

FNG
FNG here too. I'm also in the DFW area. Moved here from Minnesota, and have been archery elk hunting out west for the past 6 years. You shoot in SYWAT?

OP
TxAg2017

TxAg2017

FNG
FNG here too. I'm also in the DFW area. Moved here from Minnesota, and have been archery elk hunting out west for the past 6 years. You shoot in SYWAT?

Nice to meet you, right now I just shoot in my backyard, at friends ranches and the 3D course at my shooting club (Arlington Sportsman’s Club). I can see how it could be fun and the pressure could be good exposure but I usually spend the first half of Saturday’s at the gym and Sundays doing housework or doing long runs/rucks.

pherrley

FNG
Nice to meet you, right now I just shoot in my backyard, at friends ranches and the 3D course at my shooting club (Arlington Sportsman’s Club). I can see how it could be fun and the pressure could be good exposure but I usually spend the first half of Saturday’s at the gym and Sundays doing housework or doing long runs/rucks.

right on. I have not been out there, and didn't realize they had a 3D course? I think we're probably pretty close, I actually live just north of Joe Pool. I haven't been shooting too much lately since all competitions were closed I lost interest. I usually shoot in my back yard or at IBA

OP
TxAg2017

TxAg2017

FNG
right on. I have not been out there, and didn't realize they had a 3D course? I think we're probably pretty close, I actually live just north of Joe Pool. I haven't been shooting too much lately since all competitions were closed I lost interest. I usually shoot in my back yard or at IBA

They sure do and I’m almost always the only person on it when I go out there. If you ever consider membership out there I should be able to meet you out there and be one of the two references you need after shooting with you.

We aren’t too far away, I’m on the Crowley/Burleson line close to CTP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pherrley

FNG
They sure do and I’m almost always the only person on it when I go out there. If you ever consider membership out there I should be able to meet you out there and be one of the two references you need after shooting with you.

We aren’t too far away, I’m on the Crowley/Burleson line close to CTP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I can go out there without a membership on "match" days? Not sure what that is, but the next on is July 5. Maybe I'll have to check it out. If you want to meet there, that'd be cool