Foam + air pad

Vandy321

WKR
Sharing for anyone else who didn't know layering sleeping pads was a thing. A buddy I hunt with was pretty big into alpine climbing in the past. He mentioned he'd slept on a few 14k summits in a 30 degree WM bag. I never bothered to ask how he didn't get cold, until I got cold last week with my pad leaking, I was in my 15 deg WM sleeping on some snow.

He mentioned alot of the alpine or 4 season climbers will layer a foam pad under their air filled pad, an extra barrier from the cold and it turns out R-values are additive, plus, it can protect the air pad from punctures.

Figure ya'll know that, but I did not. So hope that helps someone.

I ordered the Nemo Switchback after comparing it to the older design of the therm-a-rest Z-lite. Folds down just a tad smaller

I have done this for years. I have a ridge rest, z rest and Matty MCmat face that I will carry and use under my pad. In addition to the extra padding and r value they are great for sit pads around camp and when glassing. I use Matty to pad a spotting scope every now and then.

Trial153

WKR
I cut a Nemo switchback in half and use it under my pad. I find using at the top is all I need as that’s where the majority of the weight is.

That’s standard for me car camping. Have never packed in two pads but would certainly consider for a late season floorless shelter hunt.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I have and will continue to pack in a closed cell foam pad with my insulated air pad. I had my air pad fail on my first backcountry hunt a few years ago, and I was lucky my brother-in-law had brought a spare foam pad that we left in the truck. When my pad failed I freaking FROZE. I hiked the few miles out the next day to get it, and was glad I did. I've carried one since and i've been SOOOO much warmer. Bulky but worth it to me.

dvstrl

FNG
This has worked well for me- half length inflatable on top of full length foam. Warm, cheap, protects the inflatable, and redundant. Also comfy.

Prolite plus and winter ridgerest, good down to 10deg with a 20deg. quilt.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've always used a pad beneath the air mattress to reduce the risk of puncture. It definitely adds a bit of warmth.

My winter combination is a Thermarest ZLite SOL under an ExPed Downmat XP 9. It feels like a furnace beneath my back.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
There is a guy on YouTube that does a bunch of annoying “how to ——— for beginners” videos, but he also has some gems for tips and tricks in real cold weather, that I assume translate to a lesser extent at warmer temps. He doubles up on pads, and uses the closed cell on top. Here’s a link to the video, He talks about at the 13:15 mark.

He’s got some other tips in that video that are great and I plan on using this winter / next year!

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Not sure I can be sold a valid reason to not put closed cell down below. If r-values are cumulative, it wouldn't matter what was on top or bottom.

Benefits of the air mattress on top are both comfort and puncture resistance

Nice thing about doing that is the foam can double as your glassing pad.

Mine is short, as it's a cut up X lite, but is nice to put under my air pad for warmth and protection on at least part of it.

rayporter

WKR
i have put my closed cell on top for years. first with a campmor air pad with no insulation and next with a big agnes and now with a themarest neo air.

no doubt in my mind that it is warmer with the ensolite on top.
i frequently sweat with the ensolite on top and am frequently cold with it on the bottom.

rideold

WKR
Would you care to explain your preference? Is it a comfort thing?
I think it is warmer with the ensolite on top (as rayporter also noted). I've tried it both ways and it probably varies with what air pad you have. The Big Agnes Q-Core pad I use most of the time is thick enough that the cold seems to seep in the sides of the pad if I put the ensolite on the bottom. I also use the two pad combination with a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus SI and the difference between top and bottom for the ensolite seems to be less but still noticeable. Back in the day when I was using a 3/4 length thermarest (the original orange ones) with a full length ensolite I don't remember there being any difference but I was also in my 20's and slept through the night!

The second reason is that ensolite doesn't slip around so things stay put through the night.

dvstrl

FNG
^Thanks for explaining, rayporter and rideold. I'd never thought to try it that way and will give it a whirl.