Foam Pad or Air

I just read one of Aron's articles on Elk hunting and he said that he takes a foam pad as well as an air pad. Now this brings me to my question...I am in the market for a new pad but I have been wondering about the air pads. I just don't know how I feel with them being puncturable. At least a foam pad is still usable with a hole in it. Anyways I would just like to know what some other roksliders think.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I stopped using the foam pad and just take a bivy all the time.

That way I keep the air pad safe and just stuff everything in the bottom of the pack.

I used the Xlite for most of the year with no issue.

dotman

WKR
I stopped taking my z-lite and went with a prolite last year, it wasn't an improvement. Just upgraded to the xlite. I use a ti-goat bug bivy for protection.

OP
WyoBowhunter21

That way I keep the air pad safe and just stuff everything in the bottom of the pack.

Ok that makes sense. I am using a tent and it got me thinking. I will take a look at the xlite.

In a tent I have never used anything to protect an inflatable pad, but I have taken an extra foam pad for extra r value when the temps really dropped.
When using a floorless shelter I used a piece of tyvek under my inflatable pad to keep anything from puncturing it......and to keep it cleaner.

Aron, what bivy are you using? I was thinking of a Ti Goat??

-Jim

slim9300

WKR
Ok that makes sense. I am using a tent and it got me thinking. I will take a look at the xlite.

In a tent, a bivy is completely unnecessary unless you have serious paranoia. The floor protects the pad.

In my MegaTarp (a floorless shelter) I use the TiGoat Raven bivy with my Exped UL7 pad.

If you are in the market for a top of the line air pad you should check out the new Q-core SL. There is nothing that compares when it comes to weight, thickness and R-value. I have also heard that its quieter than the UL7 and especially the NeoAir. I will be getting one very soon.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
In a tent, a bivy is completely unnecessary unless you have serious paranoia. The floor protects the pad.

In my MegaTarp (a floorless shelter) I use the TiGoat Raven bivy with my Exped UL7 pad.

If you are in the market for a top of the line air pad you should check out the new Q-core SL. There is nothing that compares when it comes to weight, thickness and R-value. I have also heard that its quieter than the UL7 and especially the NeoAir. I will be getting one very soon.

I have been looking at the regular Q core but have seen some negative reviews of the valves failing. I guess I just don't know what to think about that. I will check out the SL. I haven't seen that one yet.

slim9300

WKR
I have been looking at the regular Q core but have seen some negative reviews of the valves failing. I guess I just don't know what to think about that. I will check out the SL. I haven't seen that one yet.

There are 37 Q-core reviews on REI's website. Not one had a failed valve that I can find. Can you post up what you found?

OP
WyoBowhunter21
It was on the other sleeping pad topic on here. There was a few there. And I can try and find the other couple on the net. And by no means they weren't that bad. I am still leaning towards one. I checked out the new one. It looks sweet! A lot lighter too. I don't mind having to blow it up so they are appealing in that way. The rvalue is amazing! From an engineering mind that's one of the things I look for. Now number one is strength. I am still not sold on that though. I need to go try one out before I judge though.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with an air pad. Go to any outfitter and buy a box of TEAR-AID patches type 3(i think its type 3...) they work AMAZINGLY well. I have had to use them on my gear and on friends gear on several occassions and they are awesome. Find the puncture, clean it off if needed, through the patch on, and its good to use in a few minutes. I have yet to have a patch fail and I have had some patches on for a few years now. They are about the size of a quarter, but square, and weigh practically nothing.

I always carry 5 or 6 of them.

No way I could do that, I wouldn't sleep at all.
More power to you, stay that way as long as you can.

I fight fire in the summer. Sleep on a foam mat. Gotten used to doing it alot as that's what I do all summer. I do it that way because I'm too tired at the end if a day to blow up a mat.

I will say a big Agnes air core and a foam pad is about the most comfotable setup you can use! Bed of a king!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man as i get older these old bones need a little more cush:) I used the simple thermarest z pad for years, but after trying my Exped Synmat UL7 last fall, I wont leave home w/out it!

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
Man as i get older these old bones need a little more cush:) I used the simple thermarest z pad for years, but after trying my Exped Synmat UL7 last fall, I wont leave home w/out it!

Same here. I still use my thermarest z pad under my Synmat UL 7 though.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I am thinking that if I am going to buy a pad I should just take the plunge and try a self inflater or a blow up. Thanks everyone for giving me your opinions. Keep them coming!

Lawnboi

WKR
Im a foam pad kind of guy, but with the weights of the new neo air pads im going to end up getting one. Cant argue with the comfort.

Ill still carry my foam pad for times when im camping in sharp areas or its really cold. But that may change after I use that combination a bit.

I always use my foam pad as a seat, all the time