FOC and Arrow Trajectory Tested

Wapiti1

WKR
So the arrow build thread went off track related to the effect of FOC on arrow trajectory. My fault, sorry. It is a good writeup on arrow building and worth a look. Very detailed.

Now, because I have this kind of time, and was bored this fine Saturday morning. And I just got a batch of goodies to build some arrows for an upcoming hunt, so I decided to test this. Here are the ingredients:

Beman ICS Hunter Pro 300 shaft cut to 26.75" carbon to carbon.
100 grain brass insert
25 grain aluminum insert
3 Bohning Blazer vanes in eye annoying yellow (actually 6 vanes, you'll see why below)
1 G size nock
125 grain field tip

Total arrow weight of 494 grains.

Fletching was right helical lovingly applied in an Arizona EZ-Fletch jig. Bow used was a PSE Carbon Air 32 at 70lbs 28.5" draw, Schaffer XV rest. I didn't measure velocity since it is constant given no change in the arrow weight. Probably in the 270-275fps area.

I assembled the arrow with the 100 grain insert in one end and the 25 grain insert in the other. The G nock has a long enough shank to screw into the inserts, so that is how the nock was attached and it could be moved from one end to the other. Only one arrow was used. I stripped the fletching to put the 100 grain brass insert end either on the point end or the nock end and re-installed the fletching. By doing this the arrow weight was identical, and the aerodynamics of the arrow were also identical. Only the FOC changes.

Setup 1: the 100 grain insert at the nock end yielded a FOC of 3.6%.

Setup 2: the 100 grain insert at the point end yielded a FOC of 16.2%

That should be a sufficient difference to see any effect.

I sighted dead on at 50 yards with setup 1, then moved back to 75 yards and measured the drop between 50 and 75 for 10 shots. I drew a line across the top target at the center and used that to measure down to the arrow on the bottom target it was stacked on. The 10 shot string should be enough to minimize my poor shooting and aiming errors. 30 per would be the statistics guru number, but I had to shoot between rain showers today. Thus my toes were wet and cold all morning.

No changes were made to the sight and I shot setup 2 at both 50 yards and 75 yards.

The FOC theory states that the higher FOC setup would "nose dive" and hit lower at both 50 and 75 yards. The idea being heavier weight at the front will pull the point end down faster.

Results:
1586026516055.png

First, this is about as good as I shoot right now (might be as good as I ever shoot), but a vertical spread of 5" at 75 yards makes me fairly happy. I wanted to go to 100, but there is too much traffic today. 100 yards is across the road for me. Is 75 yards far enough to show a difference? Pretty sure it is given the idea that the arrow is moving something like 100" vertically from bow to target. This is also beyond most normal max hunting ranges (awesome if you shoot farther at game, most folks don't).

At 50 yards, both setups shot to point of aim and grouped as well as I can shoot. So, no change.

The chart shows the difference between the two. I call it even. Setup 1, IMO, showed some slight stability issues at 75 yards. It could also have been shooter influence since it was up first. Setup 2 flew really well and I couldn't see any odd behavior in flight. Probably the straightest flying arrow, I've shot (hint, this is probably my new build minus the insert at the nock end). I felt I shot setup 2 better. But that is purely subjective. The data says the center of the groups was for all practical purposes the same.

What does this all mean? FOC has no bearing on arrow flight in this test. I'll conclude that it doesn't, ever. Why? Because weight doesn't change the rate at which objects free fall. That rate is a constant at 9.8 m/s/s due to gravity regardless of mass. This is why trajectory calculations have no weight or mass component in them. All projectiles are affected by gravity the same. All, regardless of weight, balance point, etc. fall in the vertical plane at 9.8 m/s/s. Remember that gravity pulls on the entire length of the arrow, not just the balance point, or center of gravity (a misnomer in this instance). All points on the arrow accelerate toward the ground at the same speed. Attitude, or direction of travel, is dictated by the arc of trajectory and steering of the fletching. The pointy end starts pointing up'ish, and ends pointing down'ish. Air resistance is the reason for almost all other projectile behavior other than Coriolis effect, and spin drift.

The javelin argument has come up. Here is the walk through of that. The original design was balanced near the center and had symmetrical ends. The thrower would launch it at an up angle and the javelin would maintain that attitude until it hit the earth. This meant the front would plane on the air and float it farther, but it would land flat, not sticking point down. The redesign did two things: increase air drag, and move the balance point forward. Increased air drag is easy to understand, it slows faster since the air pushes harder on it. The balance point change was to allow the tail of the javelin to steer the front. In the original design there is no steering beyond the initial launch angle. In the redesign, the tail now forces the tip to be in line with the direction of travel which eventually changes to nose down when the apex of the arc is passed. It doesn't go nose down due to weight, but due solely to steering force.

That's it. Bring on the discussion, flaming, discontent, and of course feel free to heap on praise. PM for monetary donations, or to say things that aren't appropriate on an open forum.

Jeremy

In case you are wondering, I am a metallurgical engineer with 20+ years of experience. I generally hate math and avoid it if possible, but understand it well. If put in a life or death situation, I could integrate or solve a differential equation. Thank goodness, that is unlikely.

Beendare

WKR
First; Love the test...
Second, now I know who to pester when I am trying to understand the various Titanium compositions- grin, kidding.

Personally, I think you are right about arrow drop being the same as I've seen studies done by the UC Berkeley archery team [I think it was] proving this.............in fact penetration should be the same too.

Now the skeptic in me...and please don't take this as a criticism..........

Potential flaws in your test;

1) arrow tuning- were both arrows tuned?

2) One shooter with bias is a factor. Yeah, you can statistically average out some of the shooter error...but you can't average out bias. You set out to prove this...just as Ashby set out to prove his very high FOC theory. I'm not accusing you or Ashby of any dirty tricks...but the subconscious mind is a powerful thing...just ask anyone with Target Panic!
I don't suppose you can get your hands on a hooter shooter, eh?

As to whether there is a sweet spot for FOC, I think there most definitely is... a range anyway. The problem with stating one number..... most archers can't tell the difference in arrows with a 20 gr weight difference at normal bowhunting distances.....discerning the diff between 10% and 14% FOC is even going to be tougher than the 20 gr in arrow weight.

I have buddies that can tell the difference however minor. One buddy was the IBO world champ back in the day....and his log books from thousands of shots showed a tiny advantage to his chosen arrow. [I can't remember his FOC as this is in the 90's but I think it was right around 10%]

I'm of the belief that an avg FOC works with the harmonics of the arrow to improve perfect flight. Just the right FOC doesn't overload the spine on the launch like a very high FOC arrow and it helps the arrow recover faster.

This is why I think Easton and all of the pros use an avg FOC [8%-20%] in my experience.

ALL IN ALL....GOOD TEST AND THANKS FOR POSTING.

__

_______

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With the two arrows you're also dealing with two totally different dynamic spines, which can affect things as well. With the first you're greatly increasing the spine with all the weight in the back end, and with the second you're weakening the spine with all the weight in the front. That alone can cause some big time differences in trajectory.

Beendare

WKR
With the two arrows you're also dealing with two totally different dynamic spines, which can affect things as well. With the first you're greatly increasing the spine with all the weight in the back end, and with the second you're weakening the spine with all the weight in the front. That alone can cause some big time differences in trajectory.

But if they both tune....then you can remove spine from the equation.

______

But if they both tune....then you can remove spine from the equation.

______

Thinking about it I don't think spine would be part of the equation, I first did. But he is measuring the difference in drop from 50-75. The arrow should be fully recovered by 50 yards and just making its way down range. I'd say that the fact that they were impacting the same at 50 is indicating that they aren't reacting to the difference in the dynamic spine.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
You guys have valid points. I couldn't figure out how to compensate for spine and maintain both weight and aerodynamics. At least, not with the goodies I have on hand. One could repeat with a 340 or 400 spine arrow and add a weight tube. Getting the weight of both arrows identical is a critical part of the test given a single bow is used.

No, I don't have a hooter shooter. I understand that skepticism will creep in and foul will be called. This is why I used two yardages, and used the drop rather than the sighted distance. It is much harder to bias a drop since you are concentrating on a different spot than the arrow impacts. I treated it like a dialing test for a scope where you don't change the point of aim, and let the bullet land where it may. Best I could think of to try to minimize bias. As noted, I could have shot more shots for added statistical significance if you are a math person.

Tuning wise, I believe they were. I did shoot both as a bare shaft and they were good at 20 and 50 yards compared to my normal setup (464 grain 12% FOC with the same shaft). I didn't scrutinize this though. Mostly, I was looking to see if I was going to miss the targets entirely as I was skeptical the low FOC arrow would stabilize. I would say they were good enough, but the low FOC arrow was probably not ideally tuned. The bow itself has proven to be very forgiving, so is close enough good enough? Up to you to decide. Out of tune would mean slower recovery, and some loss of velocity as a result for those that might wonder.

Is this definitive? No, probably not. I think it is a good data point and given the way arrows are built, it, to me, certainly tilts to debunking that theory. If you add in the concept that trajectory calculations are mass free, and accept that, then, perhaps it is. Since I argued this way to start, well, you know where I stand.

At the end of the day, I have a pretty good arrow build. Remove that 25 grain insert at the nock, and I'm at 17% FOC and those sucker look like missiles leaving the bow.

Better than sitting inside

I'd be willing to try this experiment through a shooting machine. Maybe come up with some suggestions on how to set the arrows up.

I think validating same poi at something like 30-45 yards, then shooting both arrows at distance like 75-80 or further is the way to go.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
To address spine concerns, probably a 300 for the high FOC and maybe a 500 spine with added weight along the length (cord, weight tube, etc) for the low FOC.

Two things have to remain constant. Arrow weight which dictates velocity, and aerodynamics. So same make/model of shaft, same point, same shaft length and same fletching. There will be an OD difference though between shaft spines that I'm not sure how to get around.

Then again, you could go the direction I did, and use an overspined setup for each. I think you can tune this out to the point it is a non-issue. With field points, the recovery is short and steering is good even on a negative FOC arrow.

When I shot these bareshaft, I was just seeing if it was good enough for the test and made no adjustments.

I can say that both fell in line with my point of aim. Neither grouped left or right that I noted beyond my shooting error.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's the problem with these kinds of tests........getting both exactly the same except one thing. As soon as you change that one thing, it changes more things.

It's like for me with my heavier draw and much longer draw length. It's about impossible to build a super high FOC arrow and have the spine right with an arrow that I would even want to use for hunting. In order to even get it close I'd have to use a super light (i.e. fragile) heavy spined arrow with a bunch of weight on the front. That's the last thing I'd want to hunt with.

The last time I tried to test the effects of FOC on trajectory I used a Victory HV1 300 with a bunch of weight on the front to match the overall weight of a regular Victory Vforce 300 with normal weight on the front. The HV1 always hit lower, but it also has a slightly thinner diameter so sits in the rest differently, as well as the giant dynamic spine difference. It just wasn't a good test.

That's the problem with these kinds of tests........getting both exactly the same except one thing. As soon as you change that one thing, it changes more things.

It's like for me with my heavier draw and much longer draw length. It's about impossible to build a super high FOC arrow and have the spine right with an arrow that I would even want to use for hunting. In order to even get it close I'd have to use a super light (i.e. fragile) heavy spined arrow with a bunch of weight on the front. That's the last thing I'd want to hunt with.

The last time I tried to test the effects of FOC on trajectory I used a Victory HV1 300 with a bunch of weight on the front to match the overall weight of a regular Victory Vforce 300 with normal weight on the front. The HV1 always hit lower, but it also has a slightly thinner diameter so sits in the rest differently, as well as the giant dynamic spine difference. It just wasn't a good test.

I think this is where it's important to just be testing drop from two different points. Too many variables at the bow, such as arrow diameter. If you can determine a point where the two different arrows have the exact same poi then test the drop between the two further out. Only problem would be if a weaker spined arrow lost velocity in recovery.

Can you use a lab radar to measure arrow velocity downrange? Would answer the question if you could.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Can you use a lab radar to measure arrow velocity downrange? Would answer the question if you could.

Yes I have used my labradar out to 20. The velocity didn't match up with my drop sheet from ontarget2 though. The ontarget2 sight tape has proven to be as accurate as I can shoot. I'm not sure about farther ranges. Might pull the labradar out today to chrono my brothers bow so we will give it a whirl at 60-70 and see what it does.

So the arrow build thread went off track related to the effect of FOC on arrow trajectory. My fault, sorry. It is a good writeup on arrow building and worth a look. Very detailed.

Now, because I have this kind of time, and was bored this fine Saturday morning. And I just got a batch of goodies to build some arrows for an upcoming hunt, so I decided to test this. Here are the ingredients:

Beman ICS Hunter Pro 300 shaft cut to 26.75" carbon to carbon.
100 grain brass insert
25 grain aluminum insert
3 Bohning Blazer vanes in eye annoying yellow (actually 6 vanes, you'll see why below)
1 G size nock
125 grain field tip

Total arrow weight of 494 grains.

Fletching was right helical lovingly applied in an Arizona EZ-Fletch jig. Bow used was a PSE Carbon Air 32 at 70lbs 28.5" draw, Schaffer XV rest. I didn't measure velocity since it is constant given no change in the arrow weight. Probably in the 270-275fps area.

I assembled the arrow with the 100 grain insert in one end and the 25 grain insert in the other. The G nock has a long enough shank to screw into the inserts, so that is how the nock was attached and it could be moved from one end to the other. Only one arrow was used. I stripped the fletching to put the 100 grain brass insert end either on the point end or the nock end and re-installed the fletching. By doing this the arrow weight was identical, and the aerodynamics of the arrow were also identical. Only the FOC changes.

Setup 1: the 100 grain insert at the nock end yielded a FOC of 3.6%.

Setup 2: the 100 grain insert at the point end yielded a FOC of 16.2%

That should be a sufficient difference to see any effect.

I sighted dead on at 50 yards with setup 1, then moved back to 75 yards and measured the drop between 50 and 75 for 10 shots. I drew a line across the top target at the center and used that to measure down to the arrow on the bottom target it was stacked on. The 10 shot string should be enough to minimize my poor shooting and aiming errors. 30 per would be the statistics guru number, but I had to shoot between rain showers today. Thus my toes were wet and cold all morning.

No changes were made to the sight and I shot setup 2 at both 50 yards and 75 yards.

The FOC theory states that the higher FOC setup would "nose dive" and hit lower at both 50 and 75 yards. The idea being heavier weight at the front will pull the point end down faster.

Results:
View attachment 167518

First, this is about as good as I shoot right now (might be as good as I ever shoot), but a vertical spread of 5" at 75 yards makes me fairly happy. I wanted to go to 100, but there is too much traffic today. 100 yards is across the road for me. Is 75 yards far enough to show a difference? Pretty sure it is given the idea that the arrow is moving something like 100" vertically from bow to target. This is also beyond most normal max hunting ranges (awesome if you shoot farther at game, most folks don't).

At 50 yards, both setups shot to point of aim and grouped as well as I can shoot. So, no change.

The chart shows the difference between the two. I call it even. Setup 1, IMO, showed some slight stability issues at 75 yards. It could also have been shooter influence since it was up first. Setup 2 flew really well and I couldn't see any odd behavior in flight. Probably the straightest flying arrow, I've shot (hint, this is probably my new build minus the insert at the nock end). I felt I shot setup 2 better. But that is purely subjective. The data says the center of the groups was for all practical purposes the same.

What does this all mean? FOC has no bearing on arrow flight in this test. I'll conclude that it doesn't, ever. Why? Because weight doesn't change the rate at which objects free fall. That rate is a constant at 9.8 m/s/s due to gravity regardless of mass. This is why trajectory calculations have no weight or mass component in them. All projectiles are affected by gravity the same. All, regardless of weight, balance point, etc. fall in the vertical plane at 9.8 m/s/s. Remember that gravity pulls on the entire length of the arrow, not just the balance point, or center of gravity (a misnomer in this instance). All points on the arrow accelerate toward the ground at the same speed. Attitude, or direction of travel, is dictated by the arc of trajectory and steering of the fletching. The pointy end starts pointing up'ish, and ends pointing down'ish. Air resistance is the reason for almost all other projectile behavior other than Coriolis effect, and spin drift.

The javelin argument has come up. Here is the walk through of that. The original design was balanced near the center and had symmetrical ends. The thrower would launch it at an up angle and the javelin would maintain that attitude until it hit the earth. This meant the front would plane on the air and float it farther, but it would land flat, not sticking point down. The redesign did two things: increase air drag, and move the balance point forward. Increased air drag is easy to understand, it slows faster since the air pushes harder on it. The balance point change was to allow the tail of the javelin to steer the front. In the original design there is no steering beyond the initial launch angle. In the redesign, the tail now forces the tip to be in line with the direction of travel which eventually changes to nose down when the apex of the arc is passed. It doesn't go nose down due to weight, but due solely to steering force.

That's it. Bring on the discussion, flaming, discontent, and of course feel free to heap on praise. PM for monetary donations, or to say things that aren't appropriate on an open forum.

Jeremy

In case you are wondering, I am a metallurgical engineer with 20+ years of experience. I generally hate math and avoid it if possible, but understand it well. If put in a life or death situation, I could integrate or solve a differential equation. Thank goodness, that is unlikely.

Love tests like this. Thanks for posting. My only critique is to see results by shooting through paper at distance. I’ve heard people say the same about the “dive” but I think it’s coming from a certain type of setup. Heres my take on why some have experienced this.

Your conclusion that FOC has no bearing on flight is truest when no other factors are present(bare shafts, internal weights, and field points). Once you start introducing bigger drag forces with slow trad setups, 5” feathers to compensate for heavy 300 gr 3-1 heads with extremely high foc like 23% you will see a dive compared to the 11% arrow. These arrows are 600+ gr. The rear end of the 9.5gpi shaft is lighter than the rear end of the 15gpi shaft(internal weed wacker line). When the arrow speed slows at the end of trajectory, the aerodynamic lift the feathers impart on the rear of the arrow lets up and this is where the drag force of the feathers experience resistance against the air. Obviously it’s not a giant change and has more affect sooner with slow setups.

Drop EFOC arrow with feathers, drop heavy GPI low FOC arrow with feathers. Same sizes, same weights, same amount of feathers.

Will the front end of the EFOC arrow not begin a downish trajectory sooner because the drag of the feathers on the rear of the arrow has more affect?

Now days we know better and use tiny little broadheads with weight in the shaft and tiny little feathers/vanes. Conclusion: You do not want to use heavy 3-1 heads with big feathers/vanes if you plan on shooting fast and far. If you have a heavy trad setup with more feathers you’ll be fine because range and speed is limited.

I got to ask though what benefit are you seeking from foc from your setup if it has no affect on flight or accuracy? Also why do target archers not shoot past 16%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
When I shot these bareshaft, I was just seeing if it was good enough for the test and made no adjustments.

I can say that both fell in line with my point of aim. Neither grouped left or right that I noted beyond my shooting error.

Jeremy

You made a excellent effort to isolate the variables...and you are honest with your testing- kudos to you sir.

You debunked this for sure.....

Drop EFOC arrow with feathers, drop heavy GPI low FOC arrow with feathers. Same sizes, same weights, same amount of feathers.

Will the front end of the EFOC arrow not begin a downish trajectory sooner because the drag of the feathers on the rear of the arrow has more affect?

Just to be a little more clear here. Both arrows still fall at same rate and touch ground at same time. One(EFOC) however is angled downwards more than the other because of the efficiency of the drag which causes a different point of impact on a vertical surface. The angle is not caused by FOC but rather drag of feathers. It just happens to correlate with higher FOC because of the lighter gpi in the rear.

Beendare

WKR
Not much traction on this FOC subject....which is Good!!

Looks like most guys in the know are over the hype of very high FOC....

________

________

________

Haha over done subject. Hard to tell if this is a for or against thread. Seems like it’s “for” since the claim that the arrow will not dive is usually touted by foc enthusiasts.

I still haven’t seen anyone do a good job replicating penetration tests which also account for issues like spine stiffness of the higher foc arrow.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
It's a physics thread. Has nothing to do with arrow FOC. It's simply another way to demonstrate that objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass. Dropping stuff from the school roof was how we did it in grade school.

Jeremy

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yes, I can set my LabRadar to record five velocities, every 20 yards out to 100 yards. It is excellent to see how arrows respond, especially with broad heads.

It's a physics thread. Has nothing to do with arrow FOC. It's simply another way to demonstrate that objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass. Dropping stuff from the school roof was how we did it in grade school.

Jeremy

Agreed on the 9.8m/s2.

Id like to see this physics experiment with FOC repeated as it applies to hunting. This really is where the controversy is anyways. Obviously I’m bored.

Does the addition of FOC have any affect on a hunting arrow?

You should put some broadheads on. Let’s find out if the extra drag/lift of a fixed blade has any affect on whether the drop will happen from 50 to 75yrds. I really want to see this done with normal arrow FOC weight ranges though. 9-16% and compared to the EFOC ranges 19-30% and see if the arrow flight with bh is affected.

We know 16% is the max pros will go for target but why? I’ve heard that it’s because the arrow starts to drop and/or dive after that point. Or is this because they are limited by spine, GPI, and what will tune and is most efficient?

What about for hunting? Can you go to high in foc with bh to where it’s a negative? What point is that exactly?

Thoughts?

The only benefit I can see from EFOC is that you could use a stiffer arrow for increased penetration, especially on bone, with lighter weight setups.

A crosswind test would be awesome too. At what point would too much foc make the back end too light and unstable in a hunting situation with crosswind?

Last edited: