FOC / long arrows

Brendan

WKR
Thanks! I hadn't considered that. In the past when I started messing with my rest things got squirrely but I think my form has improved enough that I could give this a shot.

If your rest is in the "wrong" position (not talking left/right up/down - I'm talking in/out away from the riser) then you can have a very, very torque sensitive bow and you can get a lot of horizontal flyers. I've only had a couple bows I've had it happen on, but when it does, very, very obvious.

nphunter

WKR
RIP TKO 250's, IW 100gr inserts with 25gr collars at 30.5"

19% FOC with 3 blazers and 525gr with 100gr heads, the arrow will be plenty stiff at 30.5" and you could even shoot a 125gr head and be 550 with 20.5% FOC. The RIP TKO's are great arrows, very consistent and very durable.

FB444567-C966-42D7-B0E2-633A52F4343D.png

Another method used to stiffen arrows is to add a footer- either internal, external, or both. If you play around with a Dynamic Spine calculator, like the free Stu Miller one, you can see how it affects spine. You will up FOC at the same time keep your spine. Maybe even be able to drop down to a lighter shaft.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Another method used to stiffen arrows is to add a footer- either internal, external, or both. If you play around with a Dynamic Spine calculator, like the free Stu Miller one, you can see how it affects spine. You will up FOC at the same time keep your spine. Maybe even be able to drop down to a lighter shaft.
Is this the same thing as a collar or half out insert? Do you include those in arrow length when determining spine, or just account for the weight?

Is this the same thing as a collar or half out insert? Do you include those in arrow length when determining spine, or just account for the weight?

No. A footer is similar to a collar, but still different. It use to be fairly common in traditional archery. It's usually a larger size arrow shaft slipped over the front of your shaft for a certain amount of length. Can also be on the inside of the shaft. It stiffens up the front of the shaft and reduces the amount of shaft that is available to flex. It's generally 3-6". I don't know if any of the programs take them into account. I would account for the weight, but use a shaft length that starts at the back of the footer to determine a shaft to start with. That will get you in the ballpark.

Personally I wouldn't mess with them on a compound. I have thought about trying a genesis shaft footed with a gold tip kinetic Pierce in the front of one of my stick bows. Atleast I think that's the shaft I determined would fit inside.