Foil-faced bubble wrap

Mudd Foot

WKR
So we received a Hello Fresh box the other day. It was lined with 3/8 inch thick foil-faced bubble wrap. Apparently the R-value is 1.3. The weight was 3oz. for what would amount to 5 feet by 20 inches in width. In other words, crazy light for the potential upgrade to my 3.2 R-value Q Core SLX.

Does anyone have any experience in running this under a pad? Am curious as to how crush and tear resistant it is as part of a sleep system.

Thanks,

Mudd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I haven't used it to sleep on but I have pieces to sit and kneel on when spotting. So far so good and I'm far from thin.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Interesting. Any of the bubbles burst during kneeling?

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Not sure I’m that capable, but cutting the liner in a straight line I can handle.

It’s called Reflectix and it has a ton of uses in the UL world. I use it as a pot cozie when rehydrating meals so I don’t have to simmer and for my coffee cup. I wouldn’t replace a sleeping pad with it but it might make a good supplement

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Only when sitting or kneeling on really rough sharp rocks but even with a few popped they seem to be a good thermal barrier and cushion for my needs.

Good to know. Is the wrap you’re using single-faced with foil?

I read a gear review from a spec ops type guy a couple years ago who kept a 3/4 length piece in his pack as a sleeping pad. If I recall he was using it more for floors of aircraft and shitty buildings (no concern of padding against rocks) but said it made a big comfort difference vs just being on the ground.

WYCFM1

WKR
I have huge rolls of bubble wrap for insulating duct installs in attics. One time on a job in winter, like 10° outside, I wrapped some around me and lied down on a concrete garage floor my upper body was as warm maybe warmer then wearing a puffy jacket.
Anyway this stuff is durable also. If you need a big chunk I can get you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
I have huge rolls of bubble wrap for insulating duct installs in attics. One time on a job in winter, like 10° outside, I wrapped some around me and lied down on a concrete garage floor my upper body was as warm maybe warmer then wearing a puffy jacket.
Anyway this stuff is durable also. If you need a big chunk I can get you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the insight and the offer. Am surprised this hasn’t made its way into the UL community insofar as pad enhancement.