Folding fillet knife?

Jaakobola

FNG
Knife choices: I always carry a small pocket knife and a fillet knife for meat work. How can I cut weight/size on my fillet knife?

sndmn11

WKR

Lawnboi

WKR

Impulse bought one of these at a local shop. It’s an okay knife. Got it for canoe trips to clean fish. Only done a few panfish with it so far but it gets the job done.

Benchmade made one. Not sure if they still do or not, but it was light weight and worked decent.

Hondo

WKR
Spyderco Catcherman is the best folding fillet knife I have used. It has been discontinued but they still pop up on the secondary market . I'll never sell mine.

The Opinel Slim series knives like what Lawnboi posted is one to consider. Light, cheap and good blade geometry.

Crkt clark fork folding fillet knife is light and a neat design because you get a full size blade with a normal sized handle. Got one and really like it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the benchmade and have been happy with it, as above not sure if it’s still made. It’s got a stiffer blade than my other fillet knife, but good to go.

Shraggs

WKR
Folders are heavier than fixed. If you really want to cut weight get the 4” rapala fillet. Maybe 2 oz. there ok, sized for smaller fish. It’s pretty much 3 finger grip tho

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Crkt clark fork folding fillet knife is light and a neat design because you get a full size blade with a normal sized handle. Got one and really like it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I've got one of these also; great knife. Lighter than a fixed blade, but feels the same in use. The sheath isn't necessary, so I leave it at home to save another ounce.

slim9300

WKR
I do all my at home butchering with a Havalon Baracuta Blaze. I haven’t sharpened a knife now for over a decade with the cost of blades being so cheap and I also want a razor sharp blade. At 3 ounces with a filet blade and having the ability to fold, it really can’t be beat. Not to mention you can include 1 extra blade and not have to bring a sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
I have the lone wolf folding filet knife that benchmade made. I love it. I mostly use it for cutting up elk. It is a big knife, not going to save any weight over a small fixed blade. But it handles great and holds a edge well.

thadf

FNG
Folders are heavier than fixed. If you really want to cut weight get the 4” rapala fillet. Maybe 2 oz. there ok, sized for smaller fish. It’s pretty much 3 finger grip tho

I got one of these for my youngest son this past year. Absolutely great!! He’s not scared of it and he is doing a much better job helping us clean up our meat when we get home.

I’ll probably get a few more, just because they’re so cheap.

slim9300

WKR

What about if you have to sharpen in in the field? How about the sheath also?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved

Impulse bought one of these at a local shop. It’s an okay knife. Got it for canoe trips to clean fish. Only done a few panfish with it so far but it gets the job done.
I have the Opi, great steel. I have also been impressed for the price with the Camillus Cuda knives. Decent steel, rubber handles, they have a folder. $20-$30

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Opinel, I use the 12cm (5") blade and have filleted some decent size fish with it as well as boning out meat, the edge seems to hold up well and is easy to sharpen with a small diamond stone.
The beech handle 12cm comes in at 1.8oz on my scales so it is no big deal to carry in my kit.

Chaplain

FNG
CutCo makes a great fillet knife. The blade doesn't fold but goes down into the handle. Not sure of the weight, but is going to be lighter then a folder.