Folding Mountain Rifle Build

Nothing lightweight or ultralight about it

Minus the heavy ass can that thing is 7.5lbs with a LR optic and everything. That's damn light for what it is. Is it a sub 5lbs Kimber with a 10oz 2-7 in 1oz mounts? No, but its light and a hell of a lot more capable and shootable.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Hit a 3/4” group at 200yds with factory Hornady 140gr match, and 3” at 400 yards on a day with 15mph wind so I’m super happy with it. When the weather is calm I’ll stretch its legs more but I know it isn’t going to buck wind at any considerable distance with the stubby barrel. And hey folks, if you did this build with the 3rd plastic mdt mag and a light scope you’d be in the 6s for weight. Considering the features, I’m extremely happy with it. Changing the chassis on my 300 RUM for the HNT26 and building a 33XC & 37XC in one as well. 🤷🏽‍♂️

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
UPDATE: put this build through its paces here in Texas on opening rifle season at the ranch. Trying to fill the part of freezer where an elk tag didn’t this year, I was able to shoot 5 different whitetail (3 3 bucks, 2 doe) at varying ranges using the factory 140gr Hornady ELD-M’s from 60-275 yards and though all being well placed one shot kills, I didn’t have a single animal DRT. Had a doe run as far as 120 yards with a baseball sized hole as an exit. Has anyone else had this kind of performance out of ELD-Ms?

I’m used to harvesting game with a much more powerful cartridge (300 RUM, 300 Win, 28 Nosler) and have always been able to get DRT shots even at longer ranges up to 1080yards on javelina and 732 on elk. This was a bit of a let down having animals not stop in their tracks.

cliffy109

FNG
Deer run. They don't often get the memo that they no longer have the means to pump blood so they run. It is frustrating but not unusual at all. I've had deer run 100+ yards with exploded hearts. DRT happens too but you can't count on it, even with the best ammo and a well placed shot.

I finally got everything in and assembled tonight for a build I’m really excited about. Attached below is the build sheet. Shooting it tomorrow to see what we get out of some factory loads. I think this is going to be the perfect “lightweight” rifle for sub 750yd deer hunting.

Defiance Anti-X Medium (23.11oz)
Preferred Barrel Blanks 16” Carbon Barrel chambered in 6.5 Manbun (33.40oz)
MDT HNT 26 w/ Folder + ARCA (28oz)
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm (23.75oz with Alumicaps)
30mm Hawkins Ultralight Rings (3.95oz)
Triggertech Diamond 2 Stage set at 17.6oz (2.5oz)
MDT 5rd Mag w/o Binder (4.855)
TBAC 338 ULTRA w/ area 419 Hellfire Adapter (18.76oz) *yes it’s ridiculously huge and heavy for this application but my lord is it quiet*
Area 419 Hellfire Adapter (2.0oz)

Total Weight: 140.33oz or 8.65lbs

How do you like that MDT HNT stock? I am debating it for a Tikka build.

The ELD-M isn't a hunting bullet. Might try the ELD-X.
The ELD M is a killing machine. Post up the wound channels, depth and width. That's the metric that matters. DRT shots come from high shoulder impacts, not necessarily the caliber.
I have kills with that bullet from 200-625 on deer, elk, and bear and loved it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
The ELD M is a killing machine. Post up the wound channels, depth and width. That's the metric that matters. DRT shots come from high shoulder impacts, not necessarily the caliber.

Was that in the 6.5CM as well?

z987k

WKR

It's a bullet, so it'll kill things. But it's as basic cup and core as they come for terminal performance.

I'm sure Hornady would love to know there was no reason at all for the eldx line. They can streamline production!

It's a bullet, so it'll kill things. But it's as basic cup and core as they come for terminal performance.

I'm sure Hornady would love to know there was no reason at all for the eldx line. They can streamline production!
Yes, this was a 6.5 Creedmoor. In the context of this thread, it's a great bullet for this particular build because it has an extremely low expansion threshold. For sure 1500 FPS, maybe 1400 FPS.
The ELD-X line was needed for marketing purposes...

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR

All of these 5 shots were high behind shoulder lung shots, as I tend to go for. With high velocity larger caliber kills I’ve had much better results as far as DRT. I prefer to not go searching for shot animals.