Folks who used quilts this year - how was it??

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
How did you folks that swapped to quilts this season fare? Will you stay with the quilt or go back to the sleeping bag?

I’ve been considering going to a quilt instead of my mummy bag for both the weight savings and to get rid of feeling like I’m stuck in a straight jacket when I turn over during the night. One thing that worries me is that my face usually gets cold overnight so with the sleeping bag I can just pull it over my head.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing...
For me being 6'5" I was always too tight in bags. On super cold nights I wear a hat. In warmer weather I keep 1 leg out or upper body out, just like sleeping at home.

There are plenty of folks that continue to use quilts year after year. I'm one of them. Some people don't like them and move on. It's a personal preference kind of thing. I do think there is a little bit of technique required to use one as efficiently as possible, that might be a turn off if you don't figure it out.

I tried a quilt last year in a wall tent in Alaska and froze. A good part of it was my pad did not have a very high R value. Definitely user error but I slept with everything I had on and under me. It was a 20 degree quilt and the overnight lows just touched the frost temps so around 33 I guess. For me I wont be in that situation again. I went with a roomy semi rectangular Western Mountaineering bag this year. I can easily pull my knees up and roll around. The weight penalty is worth it to me. Nothing wrong with a quilt but just make sure you over think the pad you bring. I am here for the same hunt right now. Weather is keeping us from flying in but if I can stay dry at least I'll be warm if we get there.

xcutter

WKR
Love using a quilt. I'm an active sleeper. Quilt makes me feel like I'm still sleeping with a big comforter at home. I have a 10 degree quilt and it is very warm. Almost too warm sometimes for me. I will be picking up a 30 or 50 degree for my next venture.

As mentioned above. Make sure you have a quality insulated pad.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an xtherm MAX regular wide so I should be safe with that for any temps I’d be in!

Poser

WKR
I’ve been using one for 5+ years. I got mine in Long since I like to pull covers over my head when it’s cold.

mlgc20

WKR
I think this is my 7th year of being a quilt user. I can't imagine ever going back to a sleeping bag. Having enough R value in your pad is vital whether you're in a bag or quilt. Here is how I manage my head/face on cool nights. I almost always sleep in my Sitka Core Lightweight hoodie and a light merino neck gaiter. If it gets a little cool and my head gets chilled, I will put the hood on. If it gets colder and my face gets uncomfortably cold, I will pull up the neck gaiter over my face. And then if it's really cold I will add my fleece beanie. I used to do basically the same thing when I was a bag sleeper. I never got too much practical use out of the sleeping bag hood.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I used a UGQ 10 degree on a 10 day hunt that I just returned from. What you really need is a high end sleeping pad with a high R value ( i use an Exped downmat )if you really want to take it down to cold temps. I paired this up with a USGI bivy bag. Stayed toasty the entire trip and it got down to high 20s.

I’m a cold sleeper as well. Wore a light fleece hoodie and wore my football beanie at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTC

FNG
I use a 20-degree down quilt in CO, usually 1st rifle elk, and I’m not going back to a sleeping bag. I’m a side sleeper and move around and a quilt works well for me. All of the comments on using a high r-value sleeping pad are spot on.

I got a down hood from Goosefeet Gear for cold nights and it works great and only weighs like 2 oz. Zpacks makes them too (goosefeet gear sews the Zpacks ones from what I’ve read).

If you get a quilt with pad straps, it helps to keep everything together while you sleep.

I just got an XTherm a month ago and it pairs phenomenally with my 35 degree Nitro 35 quilt.

Literally 2 pounds lighter and still more
comfortable than my previous setup.

I did the quilt thing for a couple seasons. It definitely has some advantages. That said I got frustrated with waking up with a small gap and cold air draft. I must roll in my sleep. I went back to a bag this past elk season and prefer it.

why don't i ever seen anyone mentioning the good ole rectangular bags?? If you're tall then get one of the XL rectangular bags... I switched to rectangular a decade ago and haven't looked back

Hoeger

FNG
Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex. I used this quilt in the Boundary Waters last weekend. 20 Degree quilt with synthetic insulation. Lows got down to the upper 30s. I was super comfortable and really enjoyed using the quilt.

Poser

WKR
why don't i ever seen anyone mentioning the good ole rectangular bags?? If you're tall then get one of the XL rectangular bags... I switched to rectangular a decade ago and haven't looked back

A mummy shape is more heat efficient. As a result of the extra space in a rectangular bag, you generally will want to have a warmer bag than you need and end up with a whole lot of sleeping bag to haul around.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made the switch this year and so far, so good. Have not been in super cold weather yet but I don't foresee any issues. BTW, I went with an El Coyote quilt and it's outstanding. It's also part of my total backcountry backcountry spike out from my spike out system.
I always carry a puffy coat with me and last year, I bought a super lightweight half bag I also carry with me. So, if I'm in a location that i just want to stay the night and be there in the morning, I can be quite comfortable in the puffy and half bag.
And I can pair the half bag with my quilt if I ever had to.

Randy