Food for the week

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eating clean isn't always the easiest thing to do, it takes time. Generally on Sundays I precook a good portion of my food for the week. I just got done cooking an elk stew/roast. I use a canner to cook it, because of the quantity.

3# of elk cubed into 1" squares.
Red pepper to taste
Sodium free chicken boullion
1/2 cup of water

The above all gets pressured cooked for 5 minutes.

Then I add

4 Sweet Potatoes
1 Rutebega
2# baby carrots
1 large sweet onion
3 Green Peppers
1 package of celery stalks diced up
black pepper

I then pressure cook all of this for 3 more minutes. This is a good clean meal, that I can utilize throughout the week.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha, ha. Thanks Evan.

It is an extremely simple meal, quick to make, inexpensive, and very clean. It also lasts throughout the week, so it is a really big time saver. I will try to add some of the things I do for meals each week.

I am looking forward to seeing your stuff. My mom is a registered Dietician so healthy eating habits were instilled at an early age and my parents used to do just what you are ... heavy cooking on the weekends for the entire week to save time.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slow cooker (crock pot) does the same thing, just takes longer.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Les,

I'm trying this tonight. I do some canning and have a big Presto :) cooker but seldom pressure cook. Do you start timing as soon as the kettle seals or when a certain pressure is reached? Just wondering about the 5 minutes too, the pot-roast recipe I found online lets the meat cook for 30 mins and the veggies another 15. Is the meat fall-apart tender when you're done cooking for the entire 8 minutes.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Ty,

Timer starts when you get up to pressure (good stream of pressure releasing) I don't like the meat fall apart, like hot beefs. I want them to maintain the shape, but still be very tender. Cooking for 5 minutes, releasing pressure, adding veggies and repressurizing and doing the whole lot for another 3 minutes works best for me. Sweet potatoes get pretty mushy, baby carrots are whole, but nice and tender. Venison could be broke up with a plastic fork. Maybe cook for 6&3 and the meat would be a little more tender.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman