Food list for 7 days?

Do you ever feel too hungry bringing 1.5 pounds of food and only snacking for lunch on a hunt?
I bring a liitle more food than most while backpacking but have found that my appetite is quite subdued while in the mountains. The harder I work the less I eat. When stuck in a tent I, however eat everything I have and then some!

Cmay

FNG
For a sheep hunt I am about 1.5 lbs per day and right around 3000 calories. Breakfast I run oatmeal or granola, and pre cooked bacon. I will put powdered milk in my granola then just add water when I'm ready to eat. During the day I mostly just snack. Trail mix, granola bars, to go peanut butter cups, bite size candy bars, Cliff bars, Gatorade bars, dehydrated fruits, tuna pack and pita bread, jerky. I will have a big meal at night such as MTN house, Mac n cheese, rice or pasta sides, just add water soup mix. General rule of thumb I try to look for 100 calories/oz. One big key for me is variety, if it don't sound good in the store it tends to not taste good to me in the field. I put each day in a gallon Ziploc bag and write the calorie count on the bag. If I have a lower calorie one day I'll follow it up with a bigger calorie the next. If I'm on a hunt where weight isn't as much of an issue I'll bring more luxury foods.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Any certain way to prep the bacon or do you just cook a bunch and bag it?

Any certain way to prep the bacon or do you just cook a bunch and bag it?
I just buy the pre cooked bacon. The stuff that is not even refrigerated at the grocery store. It's not quite as good as the real bacon but sure does hot the spot on a hunt.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL) using Tapatalk

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Daily intake usually looks something like this (weights based on actual measurements from my last trip):
Breakfast (4.2 oz) - 2 Kodiak Oatmeal packets, 1 tbs powdered peanut butter, 1 packet instant coffee
"Lunch" (12.7oz) - 1 Clif bar, 1 PayDay bar, dried fruit, cheese, salami, eaten throughout the day.
Dinner (6.3oz) - 1 Mtn House meal, half a packet of instant potatoes, half oz of oil

~2600 calories and right around 1.5lbs. Sometimes the Salami and Cheese gets swapped out for tortillas and foil packets of chicken, sometimes the Clif bars will get swapped out for some peanut-butter-oatmeal cookies, and sometimes I'll skip the coffee in favor of a caffeinated electrolyte tablet tossed into my morning water bottle. I'll repackage things into sandwich bags to reduce weight and for convenience (one bag for the 2 servings of oatmeal and the powdered PB), and usually I'll pick up a large meal for the first night on my way out of town.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm late to the party but- if you're like me and need salt after a good ass kicking or like a warm drink while glassing, try these. I drink 1 per day with a few extras stashed.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
For breakfast I eat oats with protein powder, powdered milk, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds. I carry each serving in a plastic bag and just add water and squeeze to mix. I can eat the whole thing cold in ten minutes or less.

For lunch I pack triscuits, smoked gouda, some raw nuts and a variety of bars. I'm also a huge fan of the golden island korean BBQ pork jerky you can get at Costco. The ideal backpacking snack is one that is unsafe to keep in the house because it's such a treat.

I try to dehydrate my own dinners. I frankly love the taste of mountain house meals, but something about them starts to give me headaches five or six days in. We have some really awesome recipes dialed in that are just dried out versions of stuff we often eat at home. My favorite is a beef shoulder hash with potatoes, beans, and chiles. I am also a huge fan of just boiling quinoa or dry minute rice and adding a tuna packet and some olive oil.

I'm not a big dessert guy at home, but crave sugary stuff in the evening when I'm backpacking. The lightest weight option is to carry ziplocs of pudding mixes with the prerequisite powdered milk mixed in. My favorite flavor is pistachio. You prep it like the oatmeal and just add cold water to the bag.

Crystal light packets can be surprisingly important. If the water you are filtering has a swamp taste, the water flavoring can mask it and make it a whole lot easier to drink.

There's a balance to find when packing backpacking meals for a long trip. You want to pack calorie dense foods that go down easy, but also don't want to shock your system. It would suck to experience your first gallbladder attack out on the trail because you packed like Paula Deen on a butter bender.

Variety is another thing that can be overlooked. I packed for a nine day trip in a hurry last season, and on day four Irealized that I was dreading the next five days of tuna-packet lunches. They're not weight efficient, but a handful of hot sauce packets can be good insurance against this happening.

Here is my revised list after a few years. Everything is purchased in bulk variety packs online to mix up flavors and not go broke, and sits in a tote next to my gear. Everything has a pretty good shelf life and I just restock through the year. I make up gallon bags per day when I pack for a trip, just throw in one of each of the following. Ends up being right around 2500 cals a day, double up tuna or pro bars if I plan on grabbing alot of elevation.

Breakfast:
Via coffee
Nature bakery fig bar

Lunch:
Tuna packet
Small bag of fritos crushed into tuna

Snacks throughout the day:
Pro bar
Cliff bar
Pack of almonds / trail mix
Fruit snacks
Emergen C packet for water mid day

Dinner:
Peak refuel (taste better and more calories than MH)

Lots of great info in this forum.

Myself I cant do a big breakfast but and need about 2500/day. Typically we are in the valley bottom for camp and need to hike up top to glass/move for the day. So my routine is as follows.

Breakfast (I cannot do oatmeal)

Granola Bar
Instant Coffee x 2

Lunch

Ramen Noodles with Tuna .... we hunt late and cold... hot lunch is a must when glassing
Nuts
Bars
Cliff Blocks
cookies
cheese sticks
Jerky

I try and mix things up so days are never the same.

Supper - Depends on how far in we are going and how light we need to be.

Dehydrated meals - everyone has a different favorite- for 7 days ill bring 4
Mac and Cheese - 3 meals
Individual homemade meals- one or two for special or first day or two. Usually baked beans or a short rib stew... something loaded with protein

Plus I always have a bottle of whiskey/cold beer and stuff for a good meal in the truck... the last day I can go without eating knowing I am headed for a good meal.

I think the biggest thing is figuring out what your body needs, the guys I hunt with are very different from me !

Just my 2 cents

For a sheep hunt I am about 1.5 lbs per day and right around 3000 calories. Breakfast I run oatmeal or granola, and pre cooked bacon. I will put powdered milk in my granola then just add water when I'm ready to eat. During the day I mostly just snack. Trail mix, granola bars, to go peanut butter cups, bite size candy bars, Cliff bars, Gatorade bars, dehydrated fruits, tuna pack and pita bread, jerky. I will have a big meal at night such as MTN house, Mac n cheese, rice or pasta sides, just add water soup mix. General rule of thumb I try to look for 100 calories/oz. One big key for me is variety, if it don't sound good in the store it tends to not taste good to me in the field. I put each day in a gallon Ziploc bag and write the calorie count on the bag. If I have a lower calorie one day I'll follow it up with a bigger calorie the next. If I'm on a hunt where weight isn't as much of an issue I'll bring more luxury foods.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
I liked the idea of pre cooked bacon. I saw that in the grocery store the other day. I haven’t tried yet though.