Food list for 7 days?

Breakfast: instant oatmeal with one scoop of protein powder, chia seeds, powdered peanut butter, dates, and chocolate chips. Its like 650-700 calories and it tastes good.
I buy high quality instant coffee in the large container from trader joes, mix in some stevia, and keep it all in one ziplock. Much cheaper than Via's and it tastes just as good. I actually drink it at home too.

Definitely a king size snickers per day.
I also buy the Dutch Struupwafles. They come stacked in a pack, are nearly identical to Honeystingers and cost much less. Amazon.
I just discovered that a Hostess Apple pie (there are other brands) is about 450 calories and tastes amazing and doesn't require cooking. Its good for any meal and has a high fat percentage and even some protein. Its my new go to.

A good lunch is the Chicken in a foil pack. I get the individual condiment packs and also some olive oil with seasoning in a ziplock and dump it all in. It's not amazing but its not pure sugar and is obviously high in protein.

I also pack for about 1.5 lbs./day, and pretty much just keep it simple. Two MH's/day (one breakfast, and one 2 serving dinner), lunch is just snacks like trail mix, jerky, a stick of salami, cheese, and sometimes power bars, although not very often, because I don't really like them. I always bring a block of cheese, usually about 1.5 lbs. of sharp cheddar, and I'll add it to my MH meals, along with snacking on it during the day. As long as I start my day with a meal for breakfast, I've never had an issue with being famished or overly fatigued by the end of the day. For what ever reason, it's more common for me to not be very hungry at the end of the day, and sometimes I'll have to force myself to eat a dinner.

Usually I am tired enough at night I have to force myself to eat also. I do snack through the day and usually eat my breakfast in mid morning. I am not a real early eater so a cup of Joe and a quick snack gets me going in anticipation of the day.

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
Why not MREs? I lived off them for 2 15 month deployments and I’m still alive! But really MREs are packed with calories and would be easy to stow plus have everything you need in one pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not MREs? I lived off them for 2 15 month deployments and I’m still alive! But really MREs are packed with calories and would be easy to stow plus have everything you need in one pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MREs are very heavy in that they are already hydrated. While hunting, you will likely be getting water every day or every other day, so rehydrating food will not be a problem. This will save the weight of the unneeded water in the food.

If you look at a calories per ounce comparison, dehydrated/freeze dried foods win everytime

This year I looked at the prices of the healthy option backpacking meals, calculated how much I was going to spend on food for 10-12 days, and promptly bought a better dehydrator and a bunch of mylar bags.

Going to make my own Buckwheat, dried fruit, coconut, brown sugar concoction for breakfasts. And, a variation of chili for dinner.

Found some great bars at costco I have to go back and stock up on - lots of nuts, high fat, moderate / lower carb, no crappy ingredients in them. 150+ cal/oz I think.

what are the names of the bars by chance?

tlkaetz

WKR
My Food List for 10 Days:

Snack Bag (x10):

1x Sunbelt Bakery Carrot Cake Bar
2x CLIF Nut Butter Filled Coconut Almond Butter Bar
1x Honey Stinger Energy Chews
3x Sargento Double Cheddar Cheese Stick
1x Off Grid Beef Jerky - (2oz)
1x Fritos (Honey BBQ) - (2oz)
2x Butterfinger Fun Size Bar

Dinner:
10x Marconi Extra Virgin Olive Oil Packets (1 tbsp)
10x Peak Refuel or Mountain House Dinner

It is what works for me. I am 5'9" and 156lbs. Athletic build

The biggest issue I have is that a lot of the stuff that is recommended by guys turns into rocks when the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

My current food list is simple.

Breakfast - Mountain mush - Delish, portions listed are big, you will be full, you will be fueled. Not the absolute lightest option but I like it http://huntharvesthealth.com/recipes/mountainmush

Midday - Homemade backcountry bars + 2 honey stinger waffles per day. These bars are like crack, i struggle to not eat them before the hunt. Can supplement with other snacks (jerky, cheese) and less waffles or bars but i love the waffles/bars http://huntharvesthealth.com/recipes/backcountrybars

Dinner - 2p portion of mountain house.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my typical 7 day list with calories for each meal. Comes in at 2,600 - 2700 calories per day and right at 1.5 lbs per day. I like to get the most calories in during lunch because there's not usually much going on then and I'm not in a hurry or too tired to eat like I am at breakfast and dinner. It's enough variation to keep it from being boring....except Reeses after dinner, that never gets old :)

Breakfast
1Oatmeal (Apricot, Walnut & Honey) & Via Coffee530.00
2Granola Cereal w/ Powdered Milk & Vanilla Protein Powder & Via Coffee560.00
3Oatmeal (Blueberry, Walnut & Honey) & Via Coffee550.00
4Granola Cereal w/ Powdered Milk & Vanilla Protein Powder & Via Coffee560.00
5Oatmeal (Apricot, Walnut & Honey) & Via Coffee530.00
6Oatmeal (Blueberry, Walnut & Honey) & Via Coffee550.00
7Granola Cereal w/ Powdered Milk & Vanilla Protein Powder & Via Coffee560.00
Mid Morning Snack
1Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar, Trail Mix340.00
2Cliff Bar Mojo Bar, Jerky Stick320.00
3Strawberry Fig Bar, Trail Mix340.00
4Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar, Trail Mix340.00
5Cliff Bar Mojo Bar, Jerky Stick320.00
6Strawberry Fig Bar, Trail Mix340.00
7Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar, Trail Mix340.00
Lunches
1Peanut Butter & Jelly on Tortilla, Cheese Its, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,050.00
2Hard Salami on Bagel, Cheese, Mustard, Cracker Pack, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather,Mini Snickers1,090.00
3Buffalo Chicken on Tortilla, Cracker Pack, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,130.00
4Peanut Butter & Jelly on Tortilla, Cheese Its, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,050.00
5Hard Salami on Bagel, Cheese, Mustard, Cracker Pack, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,090.00
6Buffalo Chicken on Tortilla, Cracker Pack, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,130.00
7Peanut Butter & Jelly on Tortilla, Cheese Its, Kind Bar, Fruit Leather, Mini Snickers1,050.00
Dinners
1Mountain House Chili Mac, Mini Reeses 679.00
2Packit Gourmet Texas State Fair Chili, Mini Reeses754.00
3Mountain House Chicken & Dumplings, Mini Reeses724.00
4Hawk Vittles SW Lasagna, Mini Reeses710.00
5Mountain House Turkey Tetrazzini, Mini Reeses679.00
6Hawk Vittles Salmon Stirfry, Mini Reeses654.00
7Hawk Vittles Spicy Chicken, Mini Reeses642.00

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll just mention that a staple of mine is Pilot Crackers. I take 2 for each day and eat them with PB, cheese, meat sticks, etc. They are the perfect size for an actual meal and don’t break into pieces when in your pack.

tdot

WKR
I rarely see pure oils being mentioned. Olive oil is roughly 250 calories per ounce. I take a container of it, and another of hot sauce.

Fats dont dehydrate well, so a bag of Mountain House is typically pretty low in fats and can have quite abit added to it and not taste nasty. 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil will take a MH meal from roughly 750 calories to almost 1000calories.

I personally dont use the single serving packets as I find they're too small and I dont like the messy garbage. I use a small Nalgene container as they typically have oil proof thread/seals. Always test the containers, many containers will leak oil over time.

I had a buddy training for some pretty serious climbs in Greenland. He used to take a tub of Margarine or a block of butter and eat it straight. Disgusting, but effective.

tdot

WKR
Something else that I've been adding in the last few years is fresh foods. Avocados if you start with them green can last a week or more. Very high in calories and good fats. Apples as well, a green apple will last weeks.

These items may only be an additional ounce or two, but the psychological impact of fresh food can be huge. Plus I find it easier on my body then 100% dried food.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Do you ever feel too hungry bringing 1.5 pounds of food and only snacking for lunch on a hunt?

Hells yes!! I tried the 1.5lbs/Day and it just didn't work for me, But I'm 6-1" And 235 lbs. But after doing a bunch of 10 day hunts I customize how much food I bring per day. All my hunts have been fly in/out. So first day I have a big breakfast before flying in then just pack A couple snacks and a MH for supper (.8lbs). The next 3 days I pack around 1.5lbs and 3200 Calories (1.6lbs/day), I find I'm not that hungry and just getting in the groove. The next 5 days I add another MH or breakfast and usually around the 4000 cals at 2lbs/day. Then can go back to 1.6lbs/day for the last couple as I may have 1 or 2 MH's I haven't eaten in the middle days. With a fly in and Out hunt I pack 1 extra day just in case of weather. I'm right around 20 lbs for the 11 days worth. Any less just didn't work and any more I was always packing home. It changes every yr what I take but always weighs the same with same calories. So much to choose from nowadays. Everyone's different so do what works for you

lorsonts

FNG
Fritos have one of the highest calorie to weight ratios out there.

Get a bag of chips and smash the crap of them until they fit in a 1qt bag. You can fit a lot of chips in a small area once you smash them, and the salty, crunchy fat is awesome at the end of a long day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

calreef18

FNG
Adventure Alan is a good site focusing on ultralight backpacking that has some good food lists. When I’ve done a 5 day trip in the past I would say balance the sweet/savory and take more meats and cheeses, tortillas. Way too much granola and cliff bars can make you nuts in the wilderness.