Food plot fencing

Hey guys. I'm looking for tips on setting up a fence around one of my food plots. I am going to plant beans but they typically get wiped out by November 1st so I am going to fence them off this year. I am thinking a dual fence system - one where there is an outer, lower strand and then an inner fence that is more of a normal fence with 3 wire strands.

If any of you have set one of these up I'm trying to determine what I need to purchase for fence posts (fiberglass, steel, etc.) wire, etc. Also wondering if making it electrified is necessary or if the dual strand will keep most deer out without electricity. I have never set up a deer fence or cattle fence so I appreciate any tips. The entire plot is about 2 acres and I'm planning to fence 1/2 - 1 acre of it to try to have food around later into the season. Thank you!

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Put a 100lbs of peas in with it and seed over with oats a few weeks later. add 100lbs of rye seed early october [ this is per acre.] that will keep and feed the deer all hunting season.

I built one around a nursery that I later replaced with 8' woven, it worked somewhat. I used metal t-posts for the fence, two fences about 5'6" apart. Outside wires at 12-14" and about 30". Inside wires were about 20" and 36-40". Put aluminum foil with peanut butter on the wires so they learned about the electric.

Really worked alright most of the year til the rut when they would run through it.

Here's pictures of a more permanent one around a vineyard:

IMG_20190530_113016473.jpgIMG_20190530_113044856.jpgIMG_20190530_113025378.jpgIMG_20190530_113021982.jpg

cjthomas2

FNG
A buddy did the 3 strand / double fence last year with a bean food plot and it seemed to work pretty well. He had a good stand of beans come fall.

I scattered milorganite over about a 1 acre attractant plot and it bought be 30 days of almost zero deer activity. Had I reapplied, I imagine I could have gotten that much time again. I had peas and sunflowers almost hip high before it wore off and the deer demolished it. Just something to consider. It's a also a slow release of nitrogen.

KMW

FNG
I have had success with the PlotSaver Barrier System. It's not bullet proof...I have seen deer our plots with it up but not often, and usually that has only happened if the ribbon broke for some reason. Last year, we unintentionally (ran short on ribbon) tested it by fencing half of a plot and leaving the other half unprotected. The difference was drastic. The repellent does need to be reapplied every so often to be effective.

If you go the electric fence route I have heard of guys putting peanut butter on the wire to deter the deer.

OP
180splitg3
I bought the stuff to fence off about an acre of beans. Hopefully it turns out well 👍 I am doing an electric, dual permiter fence...

I’m a little late in the reply, but have had luck with the dual strand system for both food plots and my soybean marketing plots.