Food quantity?

bukshot01

FNG
Going on my first backpack archery elk hunt in September. What is the general thought on additional food brought? I plan on packing out 4 days from the truck. Obviously I will plan each day, but do you ever take any extra just in case?

Our plan this year is based on loops back to the truck. If we plan a 3 day loop we take 4 days of food, 4 day loop 5 days of food. Only reason is “if” we get into anything the last planned day we want to make sure we can go one more day. Once we get to more than 5 or 6 days we plan by the day to save the weight and try to get it exact.

my problem is I do like to eat, having an extra days worth of food is really hard to ignore....

You can always throw in a couple extra food bars or snacks to get you an extra day.

OP
B

bukshot01

FNG
That’s what I was thinking. I’m trying not to get into brining just in case items, but food is a little important.

TheCougar

WKR
I wouldn’t bring extra food. Figure out your caloric needs and pack accordingly. I think I averaged 3500 calories per day last year, give or take. If you’re smart about it, that’s between 24-28 ounces of food, depending on what you bring. You can certainly survive on less than your caloric needs, but you’ll start to wear down over time.

TxAg2017

FNG
I personally already eat about 3000-3100 calories with my normal training. I pack about 3600-4000 when I’m in the backcountry because I don’t like to be hungry and I’m a big guy. Depending on when I leave the truck I might just pack 3 days worth of food if I’m doing 3 nights. Or I might do 3 days + some kind of extra snack or something like that. I think it’s easy to go overboard on then “just in case” (coming from someone who eats a lot though haha) and it seems like a lot of the veterans out there say if you’re spending 4 days back there and haven’t taken an animal yet it might be time to come back anyway.

I’m far from an expert so don’t take my opinion to heart. Just another opinion from someone who’s backpack hunted once but backpacked a fair amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
I don't pack any extra food. i packed in 5 days worth of food last year (which was heavy) and i plan to pack in 2-3 days worth during scouting this season and hang it in a tree to save wait for hunting season.

I found it difficult to eat each day's full caloric ration (3,000) - just wasn't hungry enough to choke it all down in the big evening meal so ended up with extra. For a 7 day hunt I came out with about 1.5 extra meal pieces/parts and as the hunt went on I cherry picked items from the leftovers according to what my body was telling me it needed.

Inrutt

FNG
I found it difficult to eat each day's full caloric ration (3,000) - just wasn't hungry enough to choke it all down in the big evening meal so ended up with extra. For a 7 day hunt I came out with about 1.5 extra meal pieces/parts and as the hunt went on I cherry picked items from the leftovers according to what my body was telling me it needed.
Very interesting, I've had similar experiences. Any thoughts why? Curious......

TxAg2017

FNG
Very interesting, I've had similar experiences. Any thoughts why? Curious......

My guess would be one of two reasons. Or possibly both.
1. You packed food you don’t find very appealing and couldn’t stomach the thought of eating it. Or food that isn’t very appealing when working hard.
2. You aren’t used to eating much on a regular basis during your normal training

This has just been my experience from my friends that have had the same issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find myself almost never eating breakfast during archery elk season. Seems like I’m already getting up very early and don’t want to get up any earlier to cook something. Maybe I’ll have to try a breakfast bar of some kind.

I always struggle to get breakfast down, no matter what I'm packing. I've started hiking a mile or so before the sun comes up and then having a bar and drink of some sort. Works much better for me personally. Usually have a pretty big eating session during the early afternoon break and about an hour before sleeping.

The Epic breakfast bars are... epic.