food storage in bear country

Chipz

FNG
What are you guys doing while truck camping? We will be in black bear country but truck camping in national forest every night. Planning on storing frozen food in coolers in the bed of the truck and the non refridgerated stuff in the cab.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Whatever random stuff sack I have tied into a tree ~ 75 yards from camp. If bears come to camp, shoot them. If I have meat, I stay with it….I’m not letting some ******* bear steal moose meat from me.

Surprises me how scared some folks are.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What are you guys doing while truck camping? We will be in black bear country but truck camping in national forest every night. Planning on storing frozen food in coolers in the bed of the truck and the non refridgerated stuff in the cab.
Put the food in the truck and kill any black bears that want to f around and find out.

LFLLC

FNG
Curious what you decided. I have been asking myself the same question. We will be truck camping starting next week in black bear country in CO and have a 4-wall tent. Almost every "Let's see your tent camp photos" and hunt video shows camp kitchen and/or food in the tent, in an attached cook tent or right outside under awning. Impossible that these are all in non-bear areas. I was going to put camp stove in corner of 4-wall tent and had no concerns until I started reading more on the "bear aware" and other info on CPW site. Wondering if I am being paranoid or naive to the risk posed. I am leaning toward the latter and cooking on the tailgate of the truck or off from camp a bit, but seems somewhat silly and will suck outside of the comfort of tent. Growing up in MI, never worried about bears, even in the U.P., so struggling with why I would treat this any different. But, not worth taking a real risk just to make bacon in the tent...