Food supplementation

Looking for advice on what to eat while in the back country. I’m 170 5’10” athletic build. Trip will last approximately 5 days thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Wide open with that. I usually do a breakfast and dinner dehydrated meal and a handful of snacks between. Tuna, cliff bars, nut butter packs, gummy bears, cheese, honey stinger. I just put together some gallon day bags today if you need a better idea.

*zap*

WKR
Peanut butter that lists only peanuts on the ingredient label or raw almond butter, Smuckers Natural PB, Trader Joes almond butter.
High calorically, very good fats and adequate carbs/protein. No cooking and just eat it with a spoon.
1# of Trader joes almond butter has:
2700 calories.
224 grams healthy fats.
100 grams carbs.
100 grams protein.

Peanut butter that lists only peanuts on the ingredient label or raw almond butter, Smuckers Natural PB, Trader Joes almond butter.
High calorically, very good fats and adequate carbs/protein. No cooking and just eat it with a spoon.
1# of Trader joes almond butter has:
2700 calories.
224 grams healthy fats.
100 grams carbs.
100 grams protein.

Most nut butters are excellent choices but a lot of people don't even think to check the ingredients. Most standard issue peanut butters contain a decent amount of oils and some have added sugar and all kinds of other nonsense. If you really want to shave weight, powdered peanut butter can be rehydrated very easily, can be added to hot cereals or if you are a protein shake fan it makes an excellent addition to those.

Nuts are one of the best options for good fats for backpacking foods.

One thing to keep in mind, almonds contain a pretty high amount of calcium per serving and are one of the worst nut options if you have a history of calcium based kidney stones. I only know this because I have problems with that, and they are right near the top of the list of suggested foods to avoid for my kidney stones. If you dont have a history of that, they are one of the best nut options out there IMO.

Another good source of fat that is frequently recommended is salami. It will keep long enough for a 5 day hunt. I often will pack vac sealed, pre portioned- fully cooked bacon as well.

Most freeze dried meals, while fairly high in protein and carbs per serving are extremely low in fat (to aid in preservation and shelf life).

Through hikers are an excellent source of knowledge on lightweight, stable, sustainable foods. But take their recommendations with a grain of salt as sometimes they will fill themselves with an overload of sugars for quick energy bursts. While some sugar is good, too much can be very bad. The downside is a bad crash and feeling of lethargy a short time later.

Proteins are better towards the end of the day to replenish your muscles after a long day. Carbs and fat should be supplemented all throughout the day with a small amount of protein in the morning. Too much protein right off the bat can leave you feeling bloated and dragging for the majority of the day.

The first few days aren't as crucial, but after day 2 or 3 your body will tell you if you're missing something.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Last edited: