Food!! What are you taking on your trips.

cmeier117

WKR
What are you all taking for food for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks?

My list so far and am looking to upgrade or find something better.

Breakfast - Granola with powdered milk and protein powder
Lunch - Peanut Butter, honey and bacon sandwich
Dinner - Mountain house
Snacks - 3 cliff bars perday, jerky and trail mix (My own recipe that has cashews, raisins and m&m's

I am wanting some more ideas for lunch. I was also wondering if people have tried taking the sealed pouches of tuna fish to add to Idaodian potatoes or your mountain houses? I talked to Aron a few days ago and he does the potatoes and Dehydrated chicken which sounds good.

I bring the tuna pouches. They are awesome!

Breakfast: met rx apple pie bar or similar debating on the granola/milk/protein powder situation.
Lunch: Peanut butter bacon honey tortilla
Dinner: Dehydrated meal home brewed of course! Dehydrated chicken/spinach stir frys spaghetti, chili, anything you can think of. Idahoan potatoes, instant rice. etc.
Snacks: clif bars trail mix tuna packets

BuckSnort

WKR
Breakfast~ 2 packages of instant oatmeal or a Pop Tart if I'm hurrying to get to my glassing area..

Lunch~ Ramen noodles or sometimes just a powerbar and or Gorp

Dinner~ Used to always be Mt House Meals but this year I'm changing things up and trying some homemade meals
that I have dehydrated and gonna use the FBC method..

Snacks~ Pop Tarts, candy bars, power bars, Gorp...

Drinks other than water~ Coffee, Gatorade, and about 8oz of Grey Goose to mix with some Crystal Light for celebrating success...

Edit: I just tried the Idahoan mashers and really like them, these will definately be in my pack this year... I was thinking about dehydrating some broccoli to mix in with them, should be good...

Last edited:

swat8888

WKR
Breakfast- 2 packets of oatmeal, Starbucks via...although I like your idea w/ protein powder, may try that.
Lunch/Mid-afternoon snack- Energy bar. Been eating the Met-RX Brownies or Big 100...they are easily accessible to me and they have very high calorie to weight
ratio. That's the only reason I choose them over Clif. If it's cold out make sure you carry them around in your pocket or you may break all your damn teeth trying to bite into it. I've also learned NOT to get anything chocolate coated as it will melt and be nasty.

Dinner- MH (I break them down out of their foil packaging and vacuum seal them myself. I add in spices and some couscous for extra calories. May have to look into adding some dehydrated meat instead of the couscous this year. Tends to make the meal too damn big for me to eat in one sitting.

Snacks- Trader Joe's cashew, almond, chocolate mix, Honey Stinger Bar (190 calories @ 50gr)

swat8888

WKR
I like the Met-Rx bars, they aren't the greatest tasting but they are not bad at all. The chocolate brownies they have are actually very good, might be called double chocolate or something...my favorite by far.

swat8888

WKR
I buy mine at Kroger/Fry's for $1.67 per when they are on sale. Probably cheaper than the nutrition shops sell em for.

There are quite a few packaged precooked foods from the grocery store you can take on a hunt. Chicken, tuna, salmon, bacon, etc. All have been pretty good, although nutritionally you might need to be more careful with some brands over others.

garrenj

FNG
Breakfast -
Granola with dried fruit mixed with some powdered milk

Lunch/Snacks
Tuna pouches
Wilderness Athlete Bars - hopefully they will be done with the new version and in stock soon
Deer jerky
Clif Bars

Dinner -
Natural High freeze dried meals
Idahoan instant potatoes - loaded baked and four cheese

WA Hydrate and Recover drink mix
Deer sausage to mix with the potatoes, it's kinda heavy but keeps well on cooler hunts

Rizzy

WKR
The salmon packets are good too. I eat a lot of tortillas with string cheese and pepperoni, tuna, or salmon. I like the WA mountain berry crunch bars the best.

Lawnboi

WKR
What are you thoughts on MRE's if you break them down to just the main meal?

MRE's taste like crap, but thats only my opinion. They plug me up like no other as well.

Freeze dried is lighter, tastes better, and is actually warm when cooked. I have a whole case and a half of MRE's i give to people who come with me.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
MRE's are expensive, taste like chit, heavy and full of preservatives, but other than that they are great:)

I would stick with making your own MRE's.... much better for you and a lot lighter!

BuckSnort

WKR
The plus side to MRE's is you don't have to pack anymore toilet paper cause you will shit like a rabbit for a few days... Downside besides the weight is that the burps are pretty bad and all taste the same no matter if you ate rib meat with bbq sauce or chicken a la king...lol

Rizzy

WKR
I took mre's on my first ever backpacking trip, they were good at the time, but never again. They also produce a lot of trash to pack with you the rest of the trip