Foot care for back country hikes

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what all do you guys do to prepare your feet for long hikes. Got some sheep feet recently, i trim my nails and that’s about it but do you guys ever remove callused areas and run sock liners? Been at the back country thing for a while but never did any thing special for my feet and I could tell after long day of hiking they would be sore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I just try to wear my boots as much as possible leading up to the hunt. Work, training hikes, out to dinner, etc. Always feel like it conditions my feet to the stiffness. Other wise just keep nails tidy and be ready with leukotape

Medusa7MM

WKR
I use the leukotape on all my hunts. Even if you don’t have blisters I’ll put the tape on the back of my heels to prevent getting them, stuff is like a second skin. It will stay on for days.

Before I start hunting, prep my feet with leukotape in the normal friction areas.

If I’m out and start to feel any resemblance of a hot spot, I stop and retape. I’ve found this helps out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
My feet are usually toughened up from a summer of scouting on the weekends and a training hike mid week. That being said, wearing a lot of performance footwear throughout the various seasons, I do have a full, 15 piece toenail kit and I keep them tight and filed smooth. I use some Burt’s beeswax hand salve on the calluses from time to time to keep the skin pliable (use it on my hand for lifting related calluses as well) and that’s it. I carry Lueko tape but seldom, if ever have to use it. Put your miles in, use proven footwear.

mlgc20

WKR
I am pretty fanatical about taking care of my feet before and during hikes. I had a bad experience many years ago. Ended up with an infected big toe and had an emergency visit with a podiatrist.

I may regret admitting this. But, I sometimes get a pedicure before high mile hikes. In fact, I had a pedicure last Friday in prep for my 70 mile coming up the end of this week.

More generally, here are the things I do:
  • Trim nails/cuticles and extra emollient cream on my heels.
  • Keep feet clean and dry.
  • Inspect feet every evening and air out at camp.
  • No sleeping in socks unless it’s exceptionally cold.

Pre-tape your feet with Leukotape and put 2Toms Blister Shield powder into your socks.

Last edited:

WRM

WKR
Use Benzoin on clean skin before applying the Leukotape. I've gone 8+ days and it's stuck just about as hard as when I put it on. I do wrap a few rounds around a section of straw just in case. As noted, if you feel a hot spot STOP and tape right then.

Get a pedicure if you like, but DO get an Asian foot massage prior and on return. Thank me later.