foot pain...do i need a stiffer boot?

Luked

WKR
I have a pair of Scarpa R-Evolution boots and they fit well but after doing some more hikes just around home with some hills rocks etc. to climb up and down I have started to notice some pain around the arch area of my feet. I'm not carrying much weight yet at all but I am beginning to wonder now if I need to get some stiffer boots.
Or should I try a different type of insole possibly.

Zappaman

WKR
If you are still breaking them in, it can take some time for the arch to compress a bit to fit the foot. The Superfeet greens work really well for me as I have an average arch (and they don't harm Gor-tex). Some boots need them (Vasque), and some don't. The form fitting insoles from Sole are what I go to for difficult fits and the leather topped versions are preferred for boots in my case.

I wear new boots around the house for MONTHS before taking them in the field. Also good thick wool socks make a world of difference in any boot! (yes I wear them in summer too). Check out Coleman's surplus for their killer wool mil-surp socks. I buy the green Italian jobs for summer, and the thicker grey "Dutch" or "GI thermal" (white) for winter. At approx $3-6 a pair they hold up for YEARS and cost a LOT less than the stuff on Amazon, etc.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Have had the boots for a little over a year and wore them quite a bit so they should be well broken in and i wear Darn Tough Hiker socks all year long.
that is what kind of has me concerned if they are stiff enough.

Zappaman

WKR
Had a pair of Meindl's like that and went with the Sole form-fits. I honestly haven't put a lot of time on them, but they feel A LOT better than they did for the few miles I got on them now. Since the boot is broke into YOUR foot I'd try the Sole (or other better insole like the Superfeet) before giving up on them.

Or maybe it's time for a stiff boot if you really want to do the hard terrain and this boot feels more tennis shoe Vs. pack boot ;) Never owned Scarpa but certainly a good pedigree. Good luck!

Mudd Foot

WKR
If this helps… I have very flat, low volume, wide feet. I need a stiff boot over rough terrain. Scarpa Charmoz and Ribelle HD are my current reference points. No amount of stiff insoles overcomes a spongy shank/sole for me. Your results may vary. Have been to a podiatrist, and their suggestion was that generally speaking it is better to err on the side of firmness/stiffness in the shank/sole when in doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say no to stiffer boots but the answer maybe something else.

FWIW - I started to get some plantar fasciitis a few years back. i had given up on a few things that I think built and maintained foot stregth - running and jiu jitsu. It turned out to be a combination of age (mid 40s), some dress shoes and a loss of strength aNd conditioning in my feet. It took a couple of years to resolve with some therapy and stretching and a change of footwear when I exercise. I also added some zero drop and minimalist casual shoes to my wardrobe.

I still hike in boots and prefer stiffer soles like Crispi.

Insoles man
They build the house you have to decorate the inside.
I've tried close to 8 different types.
Like the sole high arch the best as far as under foot feel. But they push my heels up a little high.
Have finally settled on these ones.
So far they seem to be the best all around for me.
Cost, cushion, support and not pushing my heels to high in the heel box.Screenshot_20210513-111456_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210513-111456_Chrome.jpg

Hondo

WKR
I would agree that an insole such as the Superfeet Green or Orange might be a good thing to try before changing boots.

Have had the boots for a little over a year and wore them quite a bit so they should be well broken in and i wear Darn Tough Hiker socks all year long.
that is what kind of has me concerned if they are stiff enough.
Find a different boot. When you find the right boot it's heaven.
Assuming, you don't have something structurally wrong with the foot.

I had 1st MTP pain (knuckle big toe) and was convinced it was the boot. I tried insoles and sock combos. New boots etc. Well, I have hallux rigidus, pending surgery this Tuesday. In short the boot wasn't the issue.

FWIW

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
tried a different insole that has a higher arch as well as more cusion.
was just an insole that i got locally which we have nothing here for stiff style boots for hunting mainly just work boots.
But took another hike this week with about 30lbs in the pack and had the same pain about 30 min into the hike.
So been looking at Boots for the last 2 days.
Did the measurement thing off of the GoHunt website and found i have one foot almost a full centimeter wider than the other. so might be interesting finding a pair that fits right.

GREAT topic!! I have been beating my head against the wall trying to find something to alleviate the pain that my feet have without breaking the bank. Standard High arch here!! Looks like I really need to just pay up and treat my feet. As previously stated, its time for me to decorate the inside and take care of what is going to get me where I am going!1