Foot pain

not sure if this is the right place to post it here,but here goes. I'm 51 in good shape differently not fat. This year was going to be my year to get back into hunting hard. The last three years I was busy with my daughters and their FFA projects and dairy judging teams. Started off the year scouting a lot. Took my 11 year son on a couple bivy trips in the high counrty. This flatland boy was differently not in mountain shape,but the legs and feet felt good. By the 3 trip everything was getting better. Had two archery hunts with no luck,but the old body was doing good. The third hunt I came back with a sore foot. The ball and all of my smaller toes were inflamed and felt like someone took a hammer to them. Work forces me to be on them a lot ,so staying off them isn't easy. Been icing and taking prescription strength ibpofin. Trying to see the foot Dr, but can't get in yet. Has anyone ever dealt with this before and what helped.

Jimss

WKR
I actually have a neuroma in the ball of one of my feet from spending lots of time on my feet with my old job. They tried to operate and remove it but they missed the one that was bad. I now just deal with the pain. I wear wider boots that don't scrunch my toes and feet. Also, I gut the insoles that come with my boots and replace them with more padded insoles that I switch out about twice a year. I also wear socks that have more padding in the bottoms.

One other recommendation would be to buy boots around 1 size larger. That way you have more volume. It also provides additional room for padded insoles and socks. I hope this helps because foot pain is not fun!

Wapiti1

WKR
Get checked for gout. Your description isn't far off of what happened to a friend of mine. No issues, we were training for a hunt, and bam. Maybe not, but its and easy thing to check for.

Or it could be as Jimss notes and your boots are short. If the sore foot came after a big downhill, that could be it. I've also laced my boots wrong and managed to get what is called trail toe. My toes were numb for the better part of two months. I've heard that they can get super tender from the same thing. Too tight at the toes.
Jeremy

AKSandman

FNG
Look up Morton’s Neuroma. Keep in mind you are strengthening you muscles and ligaments/tendons. Muscles grow stronger/repair fairly quickly whereas ligaments/tendons take longer to condition. Something to consider.

Jimss

WKR
Morton's neuroma

Morton's Neuroma is shown in the circled area.

Definition​

Morton's neuroma occurs as the nerve passes under the ligament connecting the toe bones (metatarsals) in the forefoot.
Morton's neuroma most frequently develops between the third and fourth toes, usually in response to irritation, trauma or excessive pressure.
The incidence of Morton's neuroma is 8 to 10 times greater in women than in men.
Related Articles

STAYING HEALTHY​

Shoes: Finding the Right Fit

TREATMENT​

Orthotics

Symptoms​

• Normally, there are no outward signs, such as a lump, because this is not really a tumor.
  • Burning pain in the ball of the foot that may radiate into the toes. The pain generally intensifies with activity or wearing shoes. Night pain is rare.
  • There may also be numbness in the toes, or an unpleasant feeling in the toes.
Runners may feel pain as they push off from the starting block. High-heeled shoes, which put the foot in a similar position to the push-off, can also aggravate the condition. Tight, narrow shoes also aggravate this condition by compressing the toe bones and pinching the nerve.

Diagnosis​

During the examination, your physician will feel for a palpable mass or a "click" between the bones. He or she will put pressure on the spaces between the toe bones to try to replicate the pain and look for calluses or evidence of stress fractures in the bones that might be the cause of the pain. Range of motion tests will rule out arthritis or joint inflammations. X-rays may be required to rule out a stress fracture or arthritis of the joints that join the toes to the foot.

Treatment​

Initial therapies are nonsurgical and relatively simple. They can involve one or more of the following treatments:
  • Changes in footwear. Avoid high heels or tight shoes, and wear wider shoes with lower heels and a soft sole. This enables the bones to spread out and may reduce pressure on the nerve, giving it time to heal.
  • Orthoses. Custom shoe inserts and pads also help relieve irritation by lifting and separating the bones, reducing the pressure on the nerve.
  • Injection. One or more injections of a corticosteroid medication can reduce the swelling and inflammation of the nerve, bringing some relief.
Several studies have shown that a combination of roomier, more comfortable shoes, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication, custom foot orthoses and cortisone injections provide relief in over 80 percent of people with Morton's Neuroma. If conservative treatment does not relieve your symptoms, your orthopaedic surgeon may discuss surgical treatment options with you. Surgery can resect a small portion of the nerve or release the tissue around the nerve, and generally involves a short recovery period.