footbeds in high end boots

peterk123

WKR
Do shnees, kenetrek, Crispi etc., all use good footbeds or will I need to consider in the cost of some footbeds when I am considering one of these boots? My feet are nothing weird, maybe slightly below normal arch, narrower heels. For you skiers out there, Lange boots are by far the best fits for me because it suits people with skinny heels/ankles.

My everyday hiking boots have been Oboz bridgers. Me feet get a bit achy in them after a half day of hiking with a 20 pound pack, but I think I wore out the insoles. I am trying some superfeet blues in them right now.

Thanks Pete

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with Kenetrek's is that once you have them broken in, the footbeds are very good...at least for me. I'm sure you could benefit with custom footbeds as they are often another level. However, I've not had any issues with the ones that come with the Kenetreks.

xcutter

WKR
The Kenetrek and Lowa's seem to have descent stock insoles. My favorite boot Schnee's Timberline had the worst insoles ever in my opinion. Pretty much a thin foam sheet. Got some custom orthotics (Sheepfeet) and they are great. Prior to the custom orthotics I used the Superfeet Copper as I have flat feet.

twall13

WKR
Most people will likely prefer an aftermarket footbed. That said, not everyone needs them. I own two pairs of Crispi boots. In one pair I have some Cabela's Perfekt Cork insoles that I quite like, but they are discontinued. In my second pair that I purchased a little over a year ago, I tried out the Lathrop and Sons Synergy Footbeds. I put one in one boot and left the original footbed in the other boot and hiked for about 25 miles total to compare. I actually didn't feel a whole lot of difference between the two other than the stock insoles breath better so I ended up sticking with those. I've tried a few different models of Superfeet in the past and never found one that the arch lined up right for my feet.

I keep hearing how life changing all these inserts are but I guess since I don't really have a problem with my feet they aren't as needed for me. I just want something to help a bit with moisture management and I'm good to go.

I have had Kenetrek, Danner, and now have Crispi. Every one of them came with the cheap throwaway thin foam foot beds. I have Superfeet grey (wool) inserts in my Crispis now. They offer lots of support for my flat feet (no arches).

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried kenetrek, but my lowa and crispi footbeds weren't great. I'd plan on $50 for something that feels good and study arch support, etc, I have a high arch but the more arch "support" I had, it was actually rolling my foot out, not good. that's another thread though, lots to learn about feet and i think it's very important. I actually prefer slightly less arch support to allow the foot to naturally "spring" like it's designed to do. good luck, try as many insoles as you can

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Budget for an aftermarket insole, but give the stock one a try first. Since you have fairly normal feet, they may work well for you.

For those of you who need arch support like me, I can’t say enough good things about the Powerstep Pinnacle orthotic insoles. Superfeet didn’t do it for me, but those Powersteps are perfect!

Poser

WKR
I always pull the stock ones. I have an average arch so they aren’t uncomfortable, I’ll just use them to replace worn out insoles in casual wear shoes. I’ve been using Superfeet Carbons.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I did. It took a couple weeks to get used to the pressure on the arch but now i don't feel it at all. All my previous aches are gone.