Footers/collars on standard diameter carbon

Bwatson

FNG
What are thoughts/feelings on footers or impact collars on standard diameter shafts? I’m building some Goldtip XT Hunter 300 spine which are standard diameter .246 ID and looking to add a footer for a bit more durability and added FOC. I’m not finding much available for standard diameter shafts, most everything I’m finding commercially is for .204 or .166.
Looking like if I’m doing this I’d go with a aluminum shaft cut to 1.5-2” long and epoxy that on. Pretty common in the trad community.
Would an aluminum footer really add much strength?
Is it worth it to have to move to 11/32” broadheads so as to not have a hard shoulder at the shaft?
anyone make hardened steel collars for standard diameter shafts?
Thanks.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Thanks. Sorry I should have mentioned those. Those are definitely on my short-list. I believe they are the only steel ones I’ve seen. Looking at those with their static adjustable inserts. But dang that adds another $4 per arrow though I like the idea of being able to play with insert weight on a couple arrows to dial in what works best before making all dozen.

Thanks. Sorry I should have mentioned those. Those are definitely on my short-list. I believe they are the only steel ones I’ve seen. Looking at those with their static adjustable inserts. But dang that adds another $4 per arrow though I like the idea of being able to play with insert weight on a couple arrows to dial in what works best before making all dozen.
You should be able to use your regular inserts. Just size up on the footers. I do not recommend their half outs.

I use .204 so I use regular easton or brass HIT's and their footer on the end.

I like the idea of being able to play with insert weight on a couple arrows to dial in what works best before making all dozen.
Take a look at Gold Tip's FACT weight system if you want a fairly cheap way to play with insert weight. I believe the GT weights are available in 10, 20, and 50 grain increments.

FWIW, I have tinkered with this and dont think there is real world gain.

Then factor: Any sleeve makes your arrows harder to pull.
I think any arrow you use a HIT for needs something to protect the front carbon. I've had a slew of Axis arrows splinter on the end from wearing down.

This is what I have used.

SS so pretty durable, long, nothing to hang up in targets.

A footer doesn't need to be outside the arrow.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Great responses. Thanks all.
I should have mentioned that I shoot a lot of small game and keep a couple small-game heads in the quiver so that is the big reason I’m looking at footers. To keep the end of the shaft from splintering where the insert meets the end. That’s been my biggest failure point when bouncing arrows off the ground or the side of a trees. My target setup was going to be 50gr aluminum insert with a 30gr aluminum or the ethics 50gr steel collars plus a 150gr broadhead. So somewhere in the ballpark of 230-250gr total weight up front.
If I’m targeting 80-100gr weight without broadhead, it got me thinking about what’s stronger:
1. Longer 50gr aluminum insert w/ footer
2. Shorter 50gr steel insert w/ footer
3. Longer 100gr brass insert w/o footer
4. Longer 100gr steel insert w/o footer

Go longer insert for better adhesion, that will help reinforce the front of the shaft, and steel.

I have bent both aluminum and brass shooting small game. Tho I use fender washers for the blunts, so it can put a lot of leverage on the insert. Like I said, a footer can be inside or outside the arrow. Collars and footers are often used interchangeably in terminology, however they are different things. Use to not be uncommon to have the footer inside an aluminum shaft.

Sled

WKR
i never found the need for a footer when using inserts that were flanged on the face of the shaft. now, the H.I.T. system i will not use without a footer. it benefits in every way from having one...well, except being slightly more difficult to pull from a foam target. i guess that's why they make arrow release fluid.

crob1511

FNG
I use footers on my shafts. I cut some aluminum 2219 xx75 down to two inches and it worked for my arrow outside diameter. I use the 100 grain brass inserts as well and it adds up to about 130 grains up front. You’ll want 2217 xx75 if you want to go that route. You can buy blank shafts at Lancaster and you should only need one. Otherwise most archery shops or box stores sell that size. That would put your cost at about 50 cents per dozen for footers! Ashby’s number one rule for penetration is structural integrity and I would highly recommend footers for big game as well!

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Thanks. Yeah the cutdown arrow was what I was planning if I go the aluminum route. I measured the OD of my arrows at 0.302” and made a spreadsheet of all of the common Easton XX75 shafts and calculated their IDs. 2219 is 0.3058” ID according to my math (19/1000 wall) on a 22/64 (11/32) OD. With a gpi of 13.8 would give 27.6gr for a 2” collar.
Thanks for confirming!
Hoping Lancaster does free shipping over Memorial weekend.