Footers/collars?

brocksw

WKR
I've been using the gold tip ballistic collar on my kinetics and while they work okay, they are kind "light duty". I'm getting ready to build arrows for the year and was thinking there has to be someone building a collar/footer that would replace the GT ballistic collar and be a little more substantial in terms of material and weight. I ran across valkyrie archery center pin sleeves but they do not make a .275 diameter that would be required for the .300 kaos that I shoot. Does anyone know of something that I am describing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm no expert in this, but can't you just cut an appropriately sized aluminum shaft down and slide it in before you put the insert in and glue it in place? That's what my buddy at Bishop Archery does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I'm no expert in this, but can't you just cut an appropriately sized aluminum shaft down and slide it in before you put the insert in and glue it in place? That's what my buddy at Bishop Archery does.

Im not sure this would be much of an improvement over what the gold too ballistic collar is. I'm also looking for something protects the end if the shaft as I use brass HIT inserts.

Im not sure this would be much of an improvement over what the gold too ballistic collar is. I'm also looking for something protects the end if the shaft as I use brass HIT inserts.

Oh I see. When I've used HITs I used a collar from VPAs custom shop. It slides over the shaft but has a collar on it to protect the end of the shaft.

How have the GT collars been insufficient for you? The only thing that sounds close is Element Archery is supposed to have a "sleeved outsert" for their .204 shafts but they don't have any details on weight or it's design. When you're mixing and matching things you sometimes just have to deal with you got if you're set on a certain combonation.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
How have the GT collars been insufficient for you? The only thing that sounds close is Element Archery is supposed to have a "sleeved outsert" for their .204 shafts but they don't have any details on weight or it's design. When you're mixing and matching things you sometimes just have to deal with you got if you're set on a certain combonation.

I don't know that insufficient would be the right word. Just looking for something that would be an improvement in durability and weight. Bag targets are hard on the ballistic collars and they aren't that heavy. I'm hoping to find a similar product that is heavier and took abuse from bag targets better.

There's not going to be anything that fits over the shaft like a collar that won't be a pain with bag target, that's just the nature of the beast. The seam at the end of the material covering the shaft will always be a headache with bag targets. A half out works better in that situation but I'm personally not a fan of them.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
There's not going to be anything that fits over the shaft like a collar that won't be a pain with bag target, that's just the nature of the beast. The seam at the end of the material covering the shaft will always be a headache with bag targets. A half out works better in that situation but I'm personally not a fan of them.
I shot black Eagle deep impacts 2 years ago with their outsert and while they didn't always come out of bag targets "easy" they were worlds better than the GT collar. they also never ripped like the GT collar.

ozyclint

WKR
your overthinking it. find the right size alloy arrow, cut the length you want to use and epoxy it onto the shaft so it's flush with the end. i do this with axis arrows with HIT inserts and have yet to damage one even after bending field points on rocks. when you glue it on create a taper from the footing to the shaft with the glue and you end up with a smooth transition that is easy to remove from targets.

Trial153

WKR
The best, absolute best footer to protect the end of a carbon shaft with a hit inserted is a VPA collar as it has a flange. I built many swedged footers with aluminum arrows and while they do great at minimizing and protecting from lateral force they only minimally protected the front end. The VPA collar is worlds better.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you trying to protect them from hitting hard stuff or what? Just shooting bag targets shouldn't need any protection and a smooth end of arrow is best for those. I've never used anything on my arrows with HIT's, some guys use the BAR's. I shoot the Kinetic XT 200's and quite frankly these are some of the most fragile arrows I've shot. I just dropped one the other day at the 3D range and it landed in gravel. I picked it up and cleaned it off and caught something. There was a dent on one side with broken fibers of graphite. A little pressure on it and snap. I've gone through almost a dozen in the last year, but not one of them because of the tip area. I haven't gone through a dozen arrows in the previous 10 years combined with the exact same kind of use and shooting.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I've shot the Axis with HIT inserts for many years, and tried a couple different collars without seeing much if any advantage.

The one advantage I have seen is sanding the ends of your carbon shaft square/flat after sawing.....that seems to transfer the energy just a little better.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I've found a product by element arrows. They have an outsert coming out soon that will fit a kinetic.

I've found a product by element arrows. They have an outsert coming out soon that will fit a kinetic.

Have you actually seen this? I've been trying to see what that outsert actually looks like for a while. I've pestered the company and dealers but have had no luck getting any image of it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never been a fan of outserts, which is why I love the HIT's. I've used HIT's in probably 1/2 dozen different manufacturers arrow shafts, and they have worked equally well in all of them.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Have you actually seen this? I've been trying to see what that outsert actually looks like for a while. I've pestered the company and dealers but have had no luck getting any image of it.
8890c9322efd1e5ce7fe74613f03926f.jpg