For all you Swarovski fans...

Flapjack

FNG
After 10 years of using mid range binos and the headaches that accompany them, I’ve finally found myself in a position to get a good set.

I’ve decided on swaro SLC 10x42. In my research so far I’ve heard about HD, NEU, WB models, as well as some minor disappointments in the newest models of slc (whatever model designation those are)

I’m hoping someone can decode these different slc versions for me and help me be able to visually tell the difference between the models. Id like get the “best” version of slc. This will likely be my only shot at getting top of the line binos (unless I get a divorce), so I don’t want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

handwerk

WKR
some help:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look for either the 2010-12 HD or the 2013-20 WB. Both are HD glass. The 2010 has a bit closer focus (if you like to look at bugs and such) and faster focus with harder partial armor with metal bridge. The 2013 has a slower focus and full rubber armor both of which I prefer for hunting. Some folks prefer the 2010 version. View through both is identical.

Last edited:
OP
F

Flapjack

FNG
Ok. So it sounds like the glass is the same quality in both models, it’s just a difference in exterior aesthetics and close focus then? I just want to make sure if I buy a brand new pair I won’t be missing out on something special they did with previous models. It almost sounded like the new models were a “downgrade” from previous.

They will be used for eastern Oregon elk/deer hunting (high desert landscape like eastern Idaho, Montana)

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. So it sounds like the glass is the same quality in both models, it’s just a difference in exterior aesthetics and close focus then? I just want to make sure if I buy a brand new pair I won’t be missing out on something special they did with previous models. It almost sounded like the new models were a “downgrade” from previous.

They will be used for eastern Oregon elk/deer hunting (high desert landscape like eastern Idaho, Montana)
SImplifying the close focus mechanism allowed them to save some maufacturing cost and thus the ability to offer them for a cheaper price than the earlier version. Unless you are wanting to view objects ultra close objects, you are missing nothing.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Flapjack:

You probably know this but the 10X42 SLC's have been discontinued so you will have to buy used or find a store that has not sold out of this model.

Good luck. They are great glass.

ClearCreek

OP
F

Flapjack

FNG
Flapjack:

You probably know this but the 10X42 SLC's have been discontinued so you will have to buy used or find a store that has not sold out of this model.

Good luck. They are great glass.

ClearCreek
Yeah I read that. Definitely lit a fire under my a$$. Luckily there appears to be a fair # of mail order sources with stock left.

So, this makes a lot more sense if you speak German.

"W" = Weitwinkel = Wide Angle
"B" = Brillenträger = (Literally) Glasses Wearers = Twist-In/Twist-Out Eyecups
"Neu" = New.

All SLC, EL, and NL binos are "WB". "Neu" was a label for the SLC starting in ~2005. The SLC "Neu" are not HD.

HD SLCs started in 2010/2011 for the 10x42s and 8x42s, and 2013 for the 15s. The guy I talked to at Swaro to get that information said that the non-HD SLCs have serials that start with a "D".

Goblism

FNG
Find a pair of SLC is starting to get hard. I have tried out the EL and SLC in the past and decided to recently buy a pair only to find that most online sources are sold out! Found a great deal in the aftermarket world and not many concerns with warranty as Swaro is well known in this area.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I own a set of HD and have bought two more sets of WB in the last two years for my son and GF. Optically they look about identical. The focus knob on one pair of the WB's has gotten a little stiff/crunchy (needs to be sent back for cleaning/repair), but otherwise they have been great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any from 2010 and up.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
You can still find some brand new 8x42's for $1399 online which is a steal.

Revron

FNG
How much would a pair of SLC 10x50 WB from 1998(Black outer case) with recent upgrade from SONA to swqarobright glass level right before the new HD glass(Could not upgrade them to HD)?

Revron

FNG
Just got them back and are like brand new Bino's. Not sure of price point for these. Any help would be apreciated.