For real?

I have a ridiculous problem. I have a fairly hefty new Bob Lee recurve that I cannot string by myself. I need both hands to pull the bow up high enough (using a stringer) to string but cannot let go of one hand to push the loop up without loosing the necessary bend. WTF do I do now? I don't wanna hafta rely on someone to string this in the field and/or leave it strung. Any brilliant solutions to this problem?

Bruce, that sounds like a much to hefty of a problem for you. So, being the thoughtful guy I am, I'll take that problem off your hands. When can you deliver it?

manitou1

WKR
#1: Leave it strung. As long as you hang it horizontal on two pegs, it will be fine. I have had several I kept strung for years, including $1600 customs.
#2: Shorten the stringer.
#3: Get a lighter draw weight. Probably the most important one here. Many folks shoot way too much draw weight on trad bows. I have a buddy who has literally killed truckloads of wild hogs and deer with 41 lb. longbows. Many are pass thrus. He has also killed bear, elk and bison with the same 41 lb draw weight. A sharp broadhead and reasonable draw weight (which is conducive to accurate shooting) are what's important.

Blackcow

WKR
What kind of stringer Bruce? Cup on one end with the rubber piece that loops over the top limb? If so, make sure the top loop is as close to the top limb tip as you can get it and still have room to get the top string loop in the grooves. The easiest for some bows particularly heavier weights are the ones with two pockets, a deeper one for the bottom and shallow on the top, that go over the tips. Pulling right on the tips gives you better leverage on the limbs. If that’s the kind you have, idk what to tell ya. The para cord has to be the right length for me at 6’5”. If it’s too short or long it can be a pain

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, do like tater said, both feet on stringer spread farther apart and then like manitou said, leave it strung

Blackcow

WKR
Agreed with 2 feet and adjust stance. Unless you’re using the stringer that comes with the Bob Lee. Every one that I’ve gotten with a new bow, the cord is super short compared to others. Even using one foot I’m bent too far over. I like one long enough I can get two feet under maybe where the fade outs are, or the limb bolts. Give or take. And start pulling about where my knees are.

pdk25

FNG
Good suggestions. If the stringer is too long, you can tie a loop in it to shorten it. When I have to string heavy bows, the key is to take a wide stance, bend at the knees, use one hand to hold it, but use your legs, and a little back, to bend the limbs to brace, so that you still have a free hand to slide the string into the grooves.

Kentucky

WKR
I’m not trying to be an ass here...promise...

but if you can’t string it without difficulty, you prolly can’t shoot it without difficulty..

What # is it?

GLB

WKR
Another reason I like the longbow is it’s always easier to string than my recurves.
Like others has said, wide stance on the stringer, make sure it’s not too long..... or you got too much bow weight.

OP
Where's Bruce?
It's only 57lbs (60" bow) and I am using a wide stance but to put the full bend in it to string it I need both hands. Maybe if I spin it around so I'm holding the bend with my right hand and sliding the loop with my weak arm I can get it. Why didn't I try this first? My left shoulder has had "issues" in the past. Duh. I was probably frustrated trying to repeatedly string it to set the brace height. The stringer is this one.

blacktail bow stringer.png

OP
Where's Bruce?
Nope. Tried till my back hurt, keep coming up an inch shy when I use one hand. Aside from unhelpful ideas like using another bow or leaving it strung...does anyone have a constructive solution to this stringing problem? Is there an alternative method other than the vertical knee-bend method?

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
The stringers with cups on both ends, like the Bateman one, are way easier to use IMO. The one you have is safer (and better for super curves) but definitely requires more strength to get the limbs bent enough. I’m always worried I’ll pull my back with one.

GLB

WKR
That stringer is the problem. I can’t stand them and all the bowyers send them with their bows. I use the ones that has a cup on each end the way with did it for years and years before they came out with that limb saver style.
Buy a Webster Traditional bow stringer or any good 2 cup bow stringer an it will be much easier. You do have to be more careful using them to make sure the limb cup does not slip off the limb tip while stringing the bow.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, and some cups are too deep for the string grooves. Just pad the cup with some toilet paper if the limb tip goes too far into it to get the string into the grooves.