For the Record

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been offline for a few days and missed some of the bashing and the comments directed at Aron. This has happened several times before and I'm getting tired of it. Some people were banned over this last event and we'll ban more if any debates get beyond civil and into attacks on ANYONE, whether staff or member.

Between Ryan, Aron, Darin,and me, we've got 150-200 hours a month making this site run right and I'm not about to let a few loud mouths take it over. It's a place for EVERYONE to share ideas in a helpful manner and I take that very seriously. I'm not pouring my blood, sweat, and tears into making a platform for a few haters. It's for everyone to enjoy and when it's not enjoyable, some people are going packing and it won't be us. That has been our vision since the beginning and is one reason for Rokslide's success.

Wanted to say a few things for the record on Aron and any of his gear advice. We've been questioned if our and his gear reviews are unbiased and if Aron can be trusted as he works for Kifaru (would he be more trustworthy if he worked for Kmart???)

I met Aron in January 2012 as Rokslide was forming and knew nothing about him. In the last 18 months, I've spent a hundreds of hours on the phone with him and that many emails. I'd like to say a few things about him

1) He knows more about gear than 100 of us put together. He's bought, traded, worked for, been given, found, borrowed, maybe even stole :), about all of it out there. It's no accident that he's working for one of the top pack/gear manufacturers in the world. His opinion is sought after from many of the leading gear manufacturers in the industry. Trust me, he tones it down on here on how much he really knows about backpacking. If you know more about gear than him, send me an application at [email protected] and maybe we can get you on staff.

2) Is he biased? At the 2013 SHOT show, he handed me a camera and a list of booths to visit and interview. Now I handle all the contracts with our sponsors, so I know who's paying the bills around here. I also know who the competitors to Aron's paycheck are. Pay attention here, especially if you're a hater: Aron wanted me interviewing his competitors like Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, etc. Why? Because he wants Rokslide to be a place where all can gather and find what they want and need. Is he biased, of course! You would be too if you had any brain cells operating above a third grade level and handled IN THE FIELD all the gear he has. He's already spent more days afield than most people will all year. He knows what works and what doesn't but has the guts to tell people about it and all sides of it. If you'll take five minutes to read some of his threads on a variety of subjects you will see he always explains the benefits, upsides, downsides of any product he's asked about (even if he uses something else). Which leads me to the next point.

3) How many guys at Aron's level do you see giving out their personal cell on the www? I've seen him do it dozens of times on here and other forums to people he doesn't even know. I have to phone conference with Aron several times a week and I often start calling around 6:30 AM just to reach him. More often than not he's on a call with someone with gear questions that really benefit him in no way. Why? Cause the guy likes gear and likes to share that knowledge with others. He's on the phone more hours in one day than most of us are in a week. All about gear and helping companies and people which has helped thousands of people on here.

Keep this in mind if you get on here to subtly or not-so subtly bash on his integrity, motivations, whatever. We welcome CIVIL debate with facts, but I won't put up with haters using the platform we're killing ourselves to provide.

Aron did not put me up to this, he doesn't even know I'm posting.

If you've got a beef with any of this and can't stay civil, let me know know at [email protected] so I can ban you now. It will save time so we can get back to talking and learning about gear and hunting.

gelton

WKR
Exactly. Who gives out their personal phone number on a forum? Someone who either doesn't value his personal time or absolutely LOVES what they do. I'll stick with the latter. Hell, I was watching a you tube video that must have been four or five years old and there's Aron giving out his phone number. Its really unbelievable if you think about it. I had a question the other day and someone recommended I pm Aron - still havent because I would rather see him out in the field testing gear than fielding my questions. I'm sure the time will come when I seek his advice but it better be more important than the questions I have so far. I still think one of the funniest posts on rokslide is when he gives someone his cell phone number and the guy replied: "are they there monday through friday" (thinking Aron had given him kifaru's number and Aron replied - No, its my cell phone, call anytime.

littlebuf

Banned
I hate it when I miss the real good threads. and I must have missed a couple good ones. damn it...

Not sure what I missed in the last couple of days, But I can say is I have never seen someone that is more helpful then Aron is. We could all learn a thing or two from his attitude and integrity.

Cheers!

dotman

WKR
Great post Robby, it is one thing to post about gear issues but it goes way to far to personally attack someone, especially Aron.

There will always be disagreements but what went on in that thread needed to be deleted and glad to hear a banning happened.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I talk to Aron three times a day, sometimes more. I just spent 9 days with him. I heard several of his phone conversation with people. It's never "you should buy a Kifaru" it's "whats your budget" or "where or what are you hunting". It's funny to me that people attack him for free advise. If you don't like what he's saying do your own damn research!

I ask him questions about every piece of gear imaginable and guess what he answers them!

Last edited:

sk1

WKR
ive talked to aron on the phone many times, yeah some or maybe most were definitely kifaru related because i had pack questions. however, he's been willing to talk to me about any piece of gear and give any advice on whatever product i ask about...not pushing products and giving no bs answers. also while it was kifaru related, he called me on christmas eve night and talked for around an hour. that's way beyond customer service for a company employee, but someone who wants to help you get your gear working like it should. who calls you on christmas that you have never met in your life, to talk hunting gear? i know he is dedicated to this stuff but was still surprised to get the call. i can see why people sometimes say that he is biased, but he always gives both sides of the story.

i know that he, and rokslide in general, have saved me years of learning the hard way with backpacking gear....because unfortunately i cant spend as much time as him in the mountains playing around, maybe one day..

oh, and i just placed an order for an REI XT 85 pack for my father-in-law for elk hunting as that was Aron's recommendation for his price range.

Last edited:

trdhunter

WKR
Guess I missed all the b.s. Not sure why someone could complain for free advise over internet, really?
I am willing to take all advise and decide for myself what its worth. From my viewpoint, Ill take any advice
Aron has to offer, as well as most guys on this site.

Manosteel

WKR
Well said Robby!

I have spoken to Aron on the phone and he dose mean it when he says call anytime. He is a straight shooter with great advice. I found out about this site when doing pack research and came across Aron's reviews of almost every pack out their on another site! He reviewed some of the packs I have already used in the past and his comments were 100% accurate in my experience. Very down to earth guy I would not hesitate to sit around a camp fire with.

I hate it when I miss the real good threads. and I must have missed a couple good ones. damn it...

You and I know there's plenty of other sites where you can find the "real good threads"... no reason to feel bad about missing the ones that happened here.

Well said Robby glad to see you guys laying down your position now on this matter!

Mike

HOT ROD

WKR
Well said Robby. Aron helped me years ago. On another site. Gave me his phone number. Who gives there number on a open forum. Aron does and has for years. He has probably helped more people. Than we will ever no.

aggieland

WKR
Aron has helped me a TON over the past few years. Always gave me good advice and never pushed anything on me. I know one thing for sure, without Aron's help I would have had a very rough, painful & expensive learning curve in the backcountry. Thanks Aron !!

Curtis C

WKR
I dont know how often that crap happens here but I haven't seen it one time and thats OK by me. You folks are doing a great job with this forum.

Randle

WKR
Aron is the real deal, I just spent an hour on the phone with him in between his 2 Idaho bear hunting trips.
I just bought a used horn hunter Fullcurl based on my budget, my needs and preference to quality on a budget..and most of all Aron's advice.
He just loves what he does and calls it like it is.
Sure he loves Kifaru but I have seen his posts in the past and he has used about everything out there and is just trying to help
us make informed decisions.
Thanks guys for a great site , and weeding out the BS