For the single bevel and two blade broadhead users.

Looks like their version of a Strickland Helix in that top pic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly. But with bleeders. Seems to be a little beefier too. Looks like the ferrule goes all the way to the tip adding lots of strength. @Beendare how do you compare quality between the VPA and the magnus heads? Strength, edge retention, easy of sharpen? They seem like they are of similar quality. I may end up getting some of each.

Beendare

WKR
Exactly. But with bleeders. Seems to be a little beefier too. Looks like the ferrule goes all the way to the tip adding lots of strength. @Beendare how do you compare quality between the VPA and the magnus heads? Strength, edge retention, easy of sharpen? They seem like they are of similar quality. I may end up getting some of each.

BJ,
My observations- both the Magnus and VPA heads are good. The Stinger and Buzzcuts could be the best inexpensive heads out there. I do prefer the straight 2 blade over a head with short bleeders- especially on the Magnus as those have a stronger ferrule.

IME, when you shoot a little longer head like the Buzzcuts....the tapered design puts less pressure on the blade bevel due to mechanical advantage. The Magnus heads are thick blades and the longer taper seems to slide in easier than the short chisel point heads.

Thus, this tapered design doesn't need very expensive steel for good edge holding- its a time tested centuries old head design. I can't think of a one of either of these brands that wasn't razor sharp after going through an animal.

I have seen many of examples of the thin replaceable blade chisel and mech head blades that were dulled badly or mangled on animals....some on animals that were not recovered. In those cases I always wonder if a few more inches of penetration would have mattered????? We will never know.

I think the VPA has a little better steel due to it being carbon steel...but those can rust.

I have seen many times where the fact that this design goes through the animal so fast....its got multiple advantages to a bowhunter. I don't buy in to the ' leave the head in them with the arrow hanging out' theory....too many negatives.

Its all a trade off....but from everything I've seen, I now use a tapered COC head- either 2 or 3 blade exclusively.YMMV

___

_____

BJ,
My observations- both the Magnus and VPA heads are good. The Stinger and Buzzcuts could be the best inexpensive heads out there. I do prefer the straight 2 blade over a head with short bleeders- especially on the Magnus as those have a stronger ferrule.

IME, when you shoot a little longer head like the Buzzcuts....the tapered design puts less pressure on the blade bevel due to mechanical advantage. The Magnus heads are thick blades and the longer taper seems to slide in easier than the short chisel point heads.

Thus, this tapered design doesn't need very expensive steel for good edge holding- its a time tested centuries old head design. I can't think of a one of either of these brands that wasn't razor sharp after going through an animal.

I have seen many of examples of the thin replaceable blade chisel and mech head blades that were dulled badly or mangled on animals....some on animals that were not recovered. In those cases I always wonder if a few more inches of penetration would have mattered????? We will never know.

I think the VPA has a little better steel due to it being carbon steel...but those can rust.

I have seen many times where the fact that this design goes through the animal so fast....its got multiple advantages to a bowhunter. I don't buy in to the ' leave the head in them with the arrow hanging out' theory....too many negatives.

Its all a trade off....but from everything I've seen, I now use a tapered COC head- either 2 or 3 blade exclusively.YMMV

___

_____
Thanks for that info. I don’t really wanna deal with rusting so I will probably go with the magnus initially. The main reason I like the black hornet is because it is so compact. May be slightly more forgiving in flight (always windy here in S.D.). However I’m shooting a 540gr arrow at 170ft/second with my set up. So I should just go with the tried and true stinger. U prefer the buzz cuts over the trad? BTW jus call me Brady, no one really calls me BJ other than a good friend who thinks it’s funny.

Beendare

WKR
Brady, FWIW....

I think there are a lot of heads with this design that I think would be good;

Kustom King sells a inexpensive one- Hunor I think. The Aussie guys...Alien is one that would be good. VPA sells a Stainless version that's a little more expensive. There are some super steel heads that of course would be good- but pricey....and I lose some of these due to leaf litter and soft ground in some of my hunt spots...so the expensive heads are out for me.

A shorter smaller head is always going to be a little easier to tune...thus their popularity. With the right arrow spine, I've never had a problem with the Magnus heads. I do like the Buzzcuts as they just seem to give me a little more blood on the ground over the Stingers....but that may just be an outlier.

Regarding single bevel; One on the selection criteria for me with BH's is;EASY. I like to shoot all of these before a hunt to ensure perfect flight...then touch them up and in the quiver. A double bevel is easy on some 'V' chock sticks to get razor sharp. Plus, a double bevel is a more supported edge- better to retain sharpness.

I've seen many split bones with double bevel heads....

____

Brady, FWIW....

I think there are a lot of heads with this design that I think would be good;

Kustom King sells a inexpensive one- Hunor I think. The Aussie guys...Alien is one that would be good. VPA sells a Stainless version that's a little more expensive. There are some super steel heads that of course would be good- but pricey....and I lose some of these due to leaf litter and soft ground in some of my hunt spots...so the expensive heads are out for me.

A shorter smaller head is always going to be a little easier to tune...thus their popularity. With the right arrow spine, I've never had a problem with the Magnus heads. I do like the Buzzcuts as they just seem to give me a little more blood on the ground over the Stingers....but that may just be an outlier.

Regarding single bevel; One on the selection criteria for me with BH's is;EASY. I like to shoot all of these before a hunt to ensure perfect flight...then touch them up and in the quiver. A double bevel is easy on some 'V' chock sticks to get razor sharp. Plus, a double bevel is a more supported edge- better to retain sharpness.

I've seen many split bones with double bevel heads....

____
Thanks for the info. I probably prefer the double bevel due to stronger edge myself, but I’ve never shot a single before so it’s just my thoughts without experience. I hunt river bottom a lot (pain to access but amazing bedding area) where there is canary grass over my head...so I want to keep the $ loss as low as possible, but it doesn’t matter to me if i get the job done.

Looks like their version of a Strickland Helix in that top pic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed. I've always thought that. The helix isn't very well known in Australia. The pilot cut is probably one of the most popular heads over here. Haven't tried the ZOT's in the bottom picture, For the price i'll probably continue to stick with cutthroats that are made onshore.

Agreed. I've always thought that. The helix isn't very well known in Australia. The pilot cut is probably one of the most popular heads over here. Haven't tried the ZOT's in the bottom picture, For the price i'll probably continue to stick with cutthroats that are made onshore.
I don’t plan to purchase off shore either, just like checking out other heads and hearing about them.

Mtrain

FNG
I just shot some of the kayuga gen 2 pilot cuts today I’m pretty happy. They seemed to shoot pretty well.0E6E705D-BA50-4D4F-AABF-491C8DCDC595.jpegF4A3F2C4-9DFA-43CD-B04A-E7E96E450115.jpeg349BC70D-662A-4A17-83BD-322FEFCACE35.jpeg35095216-3631-40F6-B83A-D6770E9AB225.jpeg
I normally hate trying to get broadheads out of my target but these ones I just ended up pushing them right through the other side.

Mtrain

FNG
that is a nasty looking head! are the bleeders single bevel too?
No, the bleeders are double bevel so may affect the rotation a bit but I suspect will cause more leakage. They shoot well, at fifty metres they seemed to shoot same groups as my field points with no specific tuning of the bow.
I chatted with one of the company owners at a hunting expo and they had video playing of them shooting 3 inch groups at 70 metres with a hooter shooter.