For those of you that give too much weight to online reviews, you may want to read this...

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Hello All,

Attempted to post this less than favorable review on this product (thermometer) I bought on Amazon a couple months ago, but was told it violated their "Community Guidelines."

Of course, they don't tell you which guideline I violated and there are no obvious violations to my eye. If I missed something, please let me know. I will gladly eat crow and correct it.

This will be the last review I do and please, sweet baby Jesus, help me find a way to live the rest of my days without big tech.

Eddie

P.S. The last few words of my review are not visible in the email they sent, but I will see if I can access it and post it in its entirety.

P.P.S. I asked Amazon for my original review. If I get it, I'll post it here.

Attachments

• AMZN_Review.PNG
    AMZN_Review.PNG
    101.8 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Wow. Unless you went really blue in the last few lines of your review, that seems unwarranted.

As folks have likely heard, the feds are attempting to crack down on business that fake or “curate” their reviews:

Seems tough to enforce, though. Part of the reason why Rokslide is such a valuable resource.

It doesn't take much "sleuthing" to discover that most websites(especially the manufacturers websites) curate their reviews. Go look at Vortex and Leupold - somehow all reviews are 4-5 stars. I tried to submit a bad review on Leupolds website and it got deleted... imagine that.

It doesn't take much "sleuthing" to discover that most websites(especially the manufacturers websites) curate their reviews. Go look at Vortex and Leupold - somehow all reviews are 4-5 stars. I tried to submit a bad review on Leupolds website and it got deleted... imagine that.
I did the same on a vortex rangefinder I sent back twice and every time I left a review it was taken down in a day or two

CJohnson

WKR
Had the same thing happen to me on Amazon for a pair of work boots I bought and had some issues with.

It doesn't take much "sleuthing" to discover that most websites(especially the manufacturers websites) curate their reviews. Go look at Vortex and Leupold - somehow all reviews are 4-5 stars. I tried to submit a bad review on Leupolds website and it got deleted... imagine
This is exactly why I use forums to find and kind of legitimate reviews

I don't pay any attention to reviews on Amazon anymore. Most are either paid for, done by the seller or delete the negative ones.
1. I bought some printer cartridges that didn't work at all & wrote that in a review. Immediately I got a message from the seller offering me a refund if I would delete the review.
2. Bought a couple battery packs last year that had a card offering a $20 Amazon gift card if I wrote a positive review

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks for the heads up.

They have us by the short hairs now. They’ve made it so simple to buy crap online no one uses real retailers so they can do or allow anything they like. It’s their business.

When you dance with the devil you wait with a soul to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freelance

FNG
Reviving the thread with a bit of a pleasant surprise. I bought a Eberlestock pouch, for some reason thinking they were made in the USA. They're made in totalitarian Vietnam. They sent me a review request so I wrote one, giving the product a 3 and explaining my disappointment. It's only been five days, but they posted it and it's still up so far. Good for them! My review:

Nice, but...
Well designed and constructed pouch, however I should have done my homework better. I’m not sure how I got the impression that Eberlestock products were made here, but it was made in Vietnam, an authoritarian state where people have no rights. I won’t be purchasing any more. There are American made alternatives, some at a lower price point!

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I've only written one online review of a product and that was on Amazon because I received a whole page long hand written letter from the seller thanking me for helping a small business.

I wrote a review that mentioned how great the customer service of the seller was. Amazon took down my review stating they do not allow reviews of their sellers, only the products. Just goes to show how little Amazon cares about the people that sell products on their website.

I posted a review with both pros and cons of a Lucky Duck Revolt E-Caller, gave it 3 stars and have yet to see it hit the website. After i clicked submit it says something like "thanks for your feedback, one of our staff will review it before it is published". Maybe it would be more accurate if they were to substitute 'review' with 'censor'.