For those that carry in the backcountry....

Big fan of the original Diamond Dguide model, I have had a couple of those for 20 years or so. Three or four years ago started seeing the Kenais I now own a couple of those as well. Gotta say I like them a little more than the Diamond D. so new or replacement get the Kenai

Last edited:
I carry on the hip this old leather holster alows an extra clip been using for close to 20 yrs but don’t recall manuf.....never needed till two yrs ago with momma bear charge with Cubs everyone Walked away but some rounds got fired😂never know when you may need it and the day you don’t pack it is the day
Mountain savage if I ever did see one lol goals

mlgc20

WKR
I use the holster from Alaska Guide Creations. Since I carry a variety of different guns, I like the flexibility that holster offers. I have it attached to my EXO hip belt.

MR5X5

FNG
Non hunting - just walking the woods - typically leave it at home. But that is changing with how WA is not managing predators.

CAB

FNG
Non hunting - just walking the woods - typically leave it at home. But that is changing with how WA is not managing predators.
That changed for me in WA when I had some drugged out randos show up to my campsite and ask me how they "could get to the milkyway"

Wagon77

FNG
I carry on my hip, either standard, or my six shooter cross draw while hunting! Backpacking I use my kenai holster in my chest! I always carry when I’m in the mountains!!

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Hill People Gear SAR kit bag, means the couple things I always want on me are there whether I'm carrying my pack that second or not

Reactions: 406

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond D Guide's Choice chest holster or a Simply Rugged chest holster depending on what gun is carried.
If you carry it at the bottom of you pack you may as well leave it at home.

pirogue

WKR
If I’m using a backpack with a hip belt, holster is on hip belt. Backpack without a hip belt, holster is on regular belt. In other words, it is always in plain view and as readily accessible as it can be. I stay out of treehugger states.

Strong side carry on the pack hip belt here, with spray on the FHF bino harness so I always have something on me.

For those that carry crossdraw, is it not difficult to draw with your shoulder straps tight? I think my pack belt might ride a bit low, but still seems like it would be difficult, especially carrying at 8:30-9:00 for a right-handed shooter.

I carried my S&W 44 Mountain Gun on my Kuiu pack's hipbelt for awhile, but I was feeling like it was too slow for to deploy, so I make a holster that goes on the back of my bino harness. I'm pretty happy with it so far.IMG_7423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7421.jpg
    IMG_7421.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 74

def90

WKR
Hill People Gear Recon chest pack, once in a while if I’m going in as light as possible I’ll ditch the chest pack and just use a kydex holster on my pack waist belt.

fbhandler

WKR
I may have missed this... but for those using the HPG recon kit bags, are you able to put your binos and a pistol in there ?

bat-cave

WKR
Strongside Hip w/ Safariland QLS attachment + MOLLE adapter. I have a MOLLE adapter on each of my pack hip belts and the QLS lets me just release the fork and move the holster + gun as a unit and move between packs. I am using the fork MOLLEfor the hip belt so if I decide to drop my pack, it's easy to slide the whole thing out and slip it onto my belt.

I tried the Razco under both an AGC and Marsupial Bino harness and found that I didn't like having so much crap on my chest. As others have also pointed out, it further complicates layering and the pack belt matches my normal draw stroke anyway. My issue was always having my pistol married to my pack and the Safariland attachments solved this.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I may have missed this... but for those using the HPG recon kit bags, are you able to put your binos and a pistol in there ?
You can't fit you gun and binos inside the kit bag itself, but the molle/pals on front lets you get a bino pouch to attach to the front.

If you look at post #12, from 11boo, the camo pouch with the bungee in the middle is the bino pouch, if you look to the right of that you will see a coyote colored pouch that is the kit bag itself.

fire

FNG
Pretty much always on my hip, easy access and visible.

Edit: Keeping it anywhere else just felt weird?