For those that carry in the backcountry....

Natepile

FNG
I run the Sig P365 XL with an Olight PL mini 2, with a Kobra Kydex holster on the safari land QLS system. its all attaches nicely to my Kifaru hipbelt.

JonathanT

FNG
For anyone using the Alaska Guide Creation hip belt holster, would you recommend the product? Asking specifically from a pack hip belt use perspective. The holster seems to be highly rated but would love to hear any negatives if there are any.

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Thoughts on pistol to carry when backpacking? Considerations- weight, capacity, bulkiness, etc...

If carrying while backpacking id be looking for lightest thing possible,like a ruger lcp2 22lr or 22magnum lcr .....

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I may have missed this... but for those using the HPG recon kit bags, are you able to put your binos and a pistol in there ?

They have several different models with different layouts. The minimalist one has just one main pouch for your pistol/mag. Putting other stuff in there with a loaded gun is not recommended.

I have the larger V2 model and it has a separate pouch for my pistol and then a main pouch that can fit my binos and a bunch of other small stuff along with some other smaller flat style zippered pouches.

I prefer to keep my pistol concealed, so the HPG chest rig works well for my needs.

This is from HPG’s website and gives a nice breakdown of sizes and features of each type of chest rig.

92376bc868998185d7686bb602e39d6d.jpg

Last edited:

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
In addition, I have a Desantis pocket holster for my pistol, which I installed some self-adhering heavy duty Velcro to it and the hook portion to the gun pouch on the chest rig. The pistol goes in the pocket holster and is then velcroed into the chest rig. It keeps the orientation and position of my little Glock 33 consistent. In addition, when I’m in camp and not wearing my chest rig, the pistol and pocket holster are pulled out and put into my pocket, so it’s always on me while in camp.

Last edited:

Hunt_UP

FNG
Uncle Mike’s nylon OWB, run between the hip belt pad and stash pocket for my Ruger SR40C. I’ve been looking at a Glock 20 as the next woods gun, I like the look of those Eberlestock hatchet holster rigs to run a kydex holster, but I haven’t tried one yet.

For backcountry archery hunts I run a Springfield XDM 10 mm in a Mystery Ranch neoprene holster attached to my Exo backpack hip belt. Comfortable setup that works for me.

Mosby

WKR
I carry my Glock 20 in a chest holster in bear country or if I am just mucking around in non bear country, I carry a small Sig 380 in one of my pockets.

jhm2023

WKR
Diamond D chest holster for revolvers. Gunfighter Inc. Kenai or similar for auto loaders. I do like the idea of something specifically made to attach to a bino harness, though I haven't had any issue wearing a chest holster under the binos. I do not like the idea of my bear protection being attached to my pack. My luck is bad enough in terms of getting charged by large critters. I surely don't need my pistol out of reach because I dropped my pack for a final stalk, to go filter water, etc.
2793b5e487500c0bdf1169ba84c87a22.jpg
b972e3413a5aa8e5cf6cf2f96005a6a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond D chest holster for revolvers. Gunfighter Inc. Kenai or similar for auto loaders. I do like the idea of something specifically made to attach to a bino harness, though I haven't had any issue wearing a chest holster under the binos. I do not like the idea of my bear protection being attached to my pack. My luck is bad enough in terms of getting charged by large critters. I surely don't need my pistol out of reach because I dropped my pack for a final stalk, to go filter water, etc.
2793b5e487500c0bdf1169ba84c87a22.jpg
b972e3413a5aa8e5cf6cf2f96005a6a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Nice grizzly, what gun did you shoot it with, I can't tell from the photo.

I put it in my Sitka Mountain optics Harness. I take the side molle pouch off and put on a Kifaru Tombstone which fully conceals the gun, while leaving it always on my body and easily accessible at a moment's notice