For Those With Shooting Tripods

Misty12

FNG
I use sirui T-024SK with VA-5 video head. It’s super light and has enough adjustment to use prone or standing and everywhere in between. I have the BOG ultralight death grip head. It’s super quick and simple to switch out between glassing. You just have to buy another quick switch plate. I practiced sitting from 400 yards. The only chance I’ve had in the field with it I took a buck at 329 yds and I had it set up so I was standing

Unoboats

WKR
Not to highjack the thread but I’ve started shooting off a tripod this year and I’m seeing a change in my point of impact at times. It seems if I don’t hold the tripod with my left hand, my POI shifts 2-3” high.

I’m using a rubberized V support. I’ve heard about bipods causing a change in POI due to hard rebound from the recoil, but my rifle is simply resting on the V. Has anyone experienced this and how do you account for it?
As long as the barrel isn’t resting on the V it shouldn’t make a difference, but practice makes perfect.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
As long as the barrel isn’t resting on the V it shouldn’t make a difference, but practice makes perfect.

I experimented with it more last year. If I place my left hand on top of the scope for stability it doesn’t change the POI. Same thing if I wrap the sling around my left arm for support.

I’ve read that resting the forearm of the rifle on a hard surface vs a soft surface can cause a shift in POI.

I’m going to work on my form more this year and also see if wrapping the V in felt helps the rifle slide more freely back under recoil.

Rover31

FNG
Here is my take.
I have two tripods
A heavy foreign Amazon import and a Two Vets QDT.
Two Vets is awesome the owner is one of the hardest working guys in the business bar none!
I really like the quick deploy of the QDT much lighter and better controls.
I run both binos and shoot off of a homemade carbon Tac table with a bag mounted on it.
Super fast to transition and move.