For You Handgun Guys

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
If you were to build a custom handgun, single action or double action and money was not an obstacle what would you build? This can be for hunting, personal defense or target shooting. Me, I think I would have built a .454 Casull using either a Ruger Redhawk (4"), or a Super Blackhawk (4 5/8"). I would leave the SBH as it is with the plow handle grip frame as I am not a Bisley fan. Of course an action job on either, re-cut forcing cone, fiber optic front sight, free spin pawl on the SBH and MAYBE a lanyard ring on both. Maybe these are not "full custom", closer to semi custom, but that is what I would have built.

I have done a couple, and there are always one or two in progress.

One is a simple, "Fun Gun".

pZuixND.jpg

It is my favorite single action. A stainless Ruger .45 Convertible Flat Top with a ejector rod length barrel. The .45 Colt cylinder is pretty much never used, though it is kept around in case of ammo shortages, hunting, etc. That said, I have plenty of other more appropriate handguns for hunting. This single actions is used pretty much exclusively as a .45 ACP.

Since I shot USPSA for many years using a .45, I have a good supply of 200 grain lead SWCs around. The cylinder throat on Rugers are well known for not accommodating such loads, as well as needing reamed to be consistent. Mine was no different, so mine was reamed both for consistency and to accommodate the added length of a proper SWC.

As it comes from the factory, these smaller (medium frame) Flattops come with stainless steel grip frames. I wanted to lighten it up, so it now wears an aluminum one. It also wears grips from Lone Star Custom Grips (they look even better in person).

The hammer was replaced with a Bisley hammer both for feel and aesthetics. A Belt Mountain locking base pin was installed. The factory one kept walking out, so this was a both for looks and a practical feature.

The weight of the little .45 ACP is pretty close to that of a Colt Single Action Army. It is a pretty handy little thing, and I use 1911 mags as speedloaders in the field when I carry it.

caJ7lcu.jpg

Milt Sparks Holster
coq0abo.jpg

Fun little "Jack Rabbit Safari" handgun. :)

at2rfl2.jpg

In the Double Action arena, I had what I consider my "ideal" .44 Mag built. At first glance it looks pretty stock, which is fine.

H9qmqF6.jpg

It started life as an 8 & 3/8ths" Model 29 .44 Mag.

pcjxnnQ.jpg

The reason I chose that length is that when cut back to 5 "s the barrel markings would not be messed up, and it would look like it came from the factory.

The barrel was cut back to 5"s and a deep crown was cut at the muzzle. The front sight was set up like the S&W Classic/Classic DX series, which means that the sight blades can be quickly changed by the user. That has proven to be an outstanding feature. Switching from Fiber optic to a sharp black target post, or brass bead is a great deal.

The wide serrated target trigger was narrowed and smoothed and an action job was performed. A set of grips that better fits my hands was installed.

This is without question my favorite .44, and hands down my favorite custom gun. It gets grabbed quite often and has proven the demise of no shortage of critters, large and small.

9C0Ysfu.jpg

aDXEfXv.jpg

DGlVTg3.jpg

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Why build a Blackhawk when you could get a Freedom Arms gun for the same money? If I was going to build a Ruger it would be off the older larger model Vaquero frame just to save weight over my Freedom Arms .454.

Wapiti1

WKR
6" Blackhawk in .475 Linebaugh brass Bisley grip frame and jigged buffalo horn grips done by Linebaugh.

5" Colt Anaconda in .45 LC. Grant Cunningham would be my choice, but he's no longer doing work. Frank Glenn, or Jack Huntington.

Jeremy

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Why build a Blackhawk when you could get a Freedom Arms gun for the same money? If I was going to build a Ruger it would be off the older larger model Vaquero frame just to save weight over my Freedom Arms .454.
If not mistaken the FA has a Bisley grip frame??

texag10

WKR
SVI 2011 with a sight tracker barrel/slide. Shot one that a guy had after a USPSA match, after going 10 for 10 on an 8" plate at 25yds as fast as I could see the front sight settle I felt like throwing my glock 34 into a trash can.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider

^ This. I've done several SBHs, if I had to start over I would buy a F/A & be done with it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
44 mag Ruger Redhawk, have Bowen Classic Arms convert it to .500 Linebaugh with a 5 inch barrel. Have the stainless blued, have Bowen do custom scroll engraving. Lanyard ring. Grips made of desert ironwood.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
If not mistaken the FA has a Bisley grip frame??

No. FA has their own grip design sort of between a bosley and a standard grip. An improved No. 5 grip frame if you will.

You're not going to like a standard single action grip firing full .454 Casull loads. The FA grips feels the best to me with heavy loads but I prefer the standard grip with up to medium level .45 Colt loads.

In my case the lightweight Ruger Flattop was nowhere as expensive as a Freedom Arms, and I wanted a 6 shooter, versus a Model 97 (closest comparison) which is a 5 shooter. That said, the Freedom Arms are superb, and if I was doing a custom single action and hunting was the primary intention for the build, A Freedom Arms would definitely make sense, especially from the standpoint of out of the box accuracy. Each one I have had the pleasure of shooting has been a tack driver.

Wapiti1

WKR
I disagree with the FA 83 being better than a custom Blackhawk. No transfer bar and the safety has to be manually set. Frankly, I don't like the safety design at all. It's recommended that you load with an empty chamber reducing your 5 shooter to a 4. Sure it's a nicely made revolver, but it lacks an important modern feature, IMO. The FA 97 is a better design, IMO. I've shot the FA 83 in .454 a lot but like the higher Bisley grip on my Blackhawk better. Which is why I still have the Ruger, and don't have the FA.

Jeremy

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
No. FA has their own grip design sort of between a bosley and a standard grip. An improved No. 5 grip frame if you will.

You're not going to like a standard single action grip firing full .454 Casull loads. The FA grips feels the best to me with heavy loads but I prefer the standard grip with up to medium level .45 Colt loads.
I may be in a minority but have heard others say the same thing, they just don't like the Bisley grip frame. I personally can't stand it, the looks or the feel. If I thought .454 would be a bit too much with the plow handle grip I could always opt for the Redhawk converted to .454. This handgun would mostly be used a camping/hiking, fly fishing and tent gun when in bear territory.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
In my case the lightweight Ruger Flattop was nowhere as expensive as a Freedom Arms, and I wanted a 6 shooter, versus a Model 97 (closest comparison) which is a 5 shooter. That said, the Freedom Arms are superb, and if I was doing a custom single action and hunting was the primary intention for the build, A Freedom Arms would definitely make sense, especially from the standpoint of out of the box accuracy. Each one I have had the pleasure of shooting has been a tack driver.

But the OP was asking about a .454 or larger. With that sort of custom work the prices become much closer in line and adding the 6th shot to a .454 makes for a larger less handy gun. I love my .454 but I honestly pack my New Vaquero .45 simply for the weight savings. Anywhere in the lower 48 I feel adequately armed with a 270 grain slug at about 1000fps. More power is great but I just like the lighter guns.

I disagree with the FA 83 being better than a custom Blackhawk. No transfer bar and the safety has to be manually set. Frankly, I don't like the safety design at all. It's recommended that you load with an empty chamber reducing your 5 shooter to a 4. Sure it's a nicely made revolver, but it lacks an important modern feature, IMO. The FA 97 is a better design, IMO. I've shot the FA 83 in .454 a lot but like the higher Bisley grip on my Blackhawk better. Which is why I still have the Ruger, and don't have the FA.

Jeremy

I've always carried my FA .454 with all 5 chambers loaded. Im not sure what you mean about the manual safety? My model 83 (never saw a 97 other than in a magazine) has a transfer bar from the factory.
I may be in a minority but have heard others say the same thing, they just don't like the Bisley grip frame. I personally can't stand it, the looks or the feel. If I thought .454 would be a bit too much with the plow handle grip I could always opt for the Redhawk converted to .454. This handgun would mostly be used a camping/hiking, fly fishing and tent gun when in bear territory.
I agree, I'm not a fan of the bisley from a looks standpoint alone. IMO FA did a very good job of making a grip that doesn't roll in your hand like the plow handle without looking like a bisley. Maybe youd be fine with a plow handle on a .454 but I think they way they roll under recoil it would get tiring pretty quickly.
Not sure where you're located but if you're ever in central WA I'd be happy to let you compare my FA .454 and an old model Vaquero shooting heavy Buffalo Bore .45 Colt. To me the FA is much more comfortable after a few cylinders.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure I would want to run Buffalo Bore on a Vaquero. I think those were built for something like the Super Blackhawk.

You could go with the S&W 460 which will shoot .460 Mag, .454 casull, and .45 colt.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've always carried my FA .454 with all 5 chambers loaded. Im not sure what you mean about the manual safety? My model 83 (never saw a 97 other than in a magazine) has a transfer bar from the factory.

The model 83 does not have an automated transfer bar safety. You have to manually set the bar by pulling the hammer back about 1/8-1/4 of the way. If you do not set the bar, the hammer sits on the firing pin. Please check this out with FA, it is an important safety quirk of the FA 83. They added an auto transfer bar to the model 97.

How to set the hammer to the safety position is on page 10 of the manual. Please review this if you have not. There is NO auto transfer bar on the model 83. It must be set manually.

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.freedomarms.com/files/pdf/Manual83-full.pdf

Jeremy

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
The model 83 does not have an automated transfer bar safety. You have to manually set the bar by pulling the hammer back about 1/8-1/4 of the way. If you do not set the bar, the hammer sits on the firing pin. Please check this out with FA, it is an important safety quirk of the FA 83. They added an auto transfer bar to the model 97.

How to set the hammer to the safety position is on page 10 of the manual. Please review this if you have not. There is NO auto transfer bar on the model 83. It must be set manually.

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.freedomarms.com/files/pdf/Manual83-full.pdf

Jeremy

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yes, you are correct. I thought you meant somehow reach in and reset the transfer bar by hand.
I always assumed they made the 83's that way because the original Colts had 4 clicks. The first being a safety notch (has anyone ever actually used that?). So it would be more natural for folks that learned their single action manual of arms off of an original. But that's just my assumption.

I'm not sure I would want to run Buffalo Bore on a Vaquero. I think those were built for something like the Super Blackhawk.

You could go with the S&W 460 which will shoot .460 Mag, .454 casull, and .45 colt.

The old model Vaqueros had a larger frame. Same size as the Blackhawk. All of their heavy .45 Colt is safe to fire in one of those.
Out of curiosity I measured my heavy BB rounds and they are too long for the cylinder of the smaller frame New Vaquero. So youd end up locking the gun up before you got a round lined up with the firing pin. I assume most if not all their heavy .45 Colt is going to be too long for the smaller framed Ruger NMV.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yes, you are correct. I thought you meant somehow reach in and reset the transfer bar by hand.
I always assumed they made the 83's that way because the original Colts had 4 clicks. The first being a safety notch (has anyone ever actually used that?). So it would be more natural for folks that learned their single action manual of arms off of an original. But that's just my assumption.

The old model Vaqueros had a larger frame. Same size as the Blackhawk. All of their heavy .45 Colt is safe to fire in one of those.
Out of curiosity I measured my heavy BB rounds and they are too long for the cylinder of the smaller frame New Vaquero. So youd end up locking the gun up before you got a round lined up with the firing pin. I assume most if not all their heavy .45 Colt is going to be too long for the smaller framed Ruger NMV.
I checked Buffalo Bore and confirmed if it is a pre-2005 manufacture Vaquero it should be good to go.
"These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are safe in all LARGE FRAME Ruger revolvers. (includes Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, all pre-2005 Vaquero, Bisley, Redhawk) Please read the following linked technical article to know more about Ruger revolvers and 45 Colt +P ammo."