Ford Car Play

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 FX Off-Road F-150 fully loaded XLT with a a lot of miles (107K) and the other day the big screen, car play thingamajig started going haywire and eventually went completely blank. No back-up camera, no radio, no hands-free phone, directions and on and on. Took it in and said it is torched and the estimate is around $1K to fix it. Has anyone else been experiencing issues with these computer like screen devices. Maybe just the luck of the draw but that sucks especially right before I am traveling across the country to go elk hunting by myself and would go crazy if I didn't get it fixed. Otherwise the truck has been fine, maybe it's time to trade it in and get another one. Oh, I almost forgot this was just after putting on the TOYO AT3's at around $1,500. I got to get a big elk this year!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmez

WKR
1k to get it fixed vs 60k to replace truck. Id fix the screen.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
My screen has blacked out a time or two but always came back on. My modem appears to have failed just outside of warranty. I can’t use the FordPass remote app anymore. Not sure what tha might cost. Good luck I hope you can get by cheaper than $1k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Head over to ford trucks forum. I believe one of the modules (there's like a dozen computers in trucks these days, PCM's, BCM's, ACM's, etc.) might be the culprit if memory serves...

Should be a pretty easy fix, much less than $1k. But yeah, sometimes mine blanks out for an ignition cycle, though it sounds like yours is bricked.

Luckyrxc

FNG
I have a 2020 and the screen was blacking out often in the first couple of months. A firmware update resolved the issue. Sorry to hear yours may be cooked, But it might be worth asking if it needs a firmware update. Maybe they’re just trying to get $1000 out of you.

With new Ford trucks being stock piled on lots due to chip shortages I would worry less about the cost and more about if they can get a replacement before your trip. Buddy has been waiting almost a year on module to replace in his Dodge.

I had an issue similar to luckyrxc but they replaced a small computer part, it was on an 18) I sold so I don’t know if I even have paperwork.

Last edited:

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you just have to have the OEM parts, I'll bet you can get aftermarket replacement cheaper...maybe?

Mine has blacked out and locked up a time or two. You can do a 'hard reset' on the unit by holding down the power button and the next track button at the same time, for about 15 seconds. I don't know if that would work on yours if it is fried, but figured I'd mention it.

Dirtbag

WKR
That sucks, I had a GMC for a work pickup that did the same thing, cost $1500 to do it. seems like its a not so uncommon issue with the big screen type radios.

I have a 2021 F-150 and it has happened to me on numerous occasions. I think I have brought it to the dealership and they can't seem to find any issues. It chaffs my ass when they say that too. It is causing me to not care, but its a new truck and it shouldn't be acting up. I am glad to hear it is a global issue. Next time it happens (which will be this weekend), I am gonna make a fuss.
The good news is that Ford put some extra "Ford Pass Reward Points" for my troubles. Who even knows what these are for?

I have an F150 and it’s good but definitely not great. Let’s just say I see myself returning to the Toyota fold one day.

What exactly is wrong? Is the screen completely black as in no power? What exactly do you mean by “it started going haywire”?

Before plopping down $1k I would check the fuse and work up towards the screen checking connections

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
2014 F150 here and the screen is a whitish gray. Been that way for 3 months after they told me $4-600 to fix it. I'll probably get it done at some point but I'm in no rush. The backup camera always got me screwed up backing a trailer up anyway and I know my preset radio stations:)

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to reset the screen on my 18 f150 and my wifes 16 edge due to being black and not doing anything. I couldnt even hard reset them, unplugging the battery and doing something with the key was all I needed to fix it. Google how to reset the sync system and watch the youtube video, may not do anything but worth a shot.