Foreign National Licensing?

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy all,

I’ve done some googling with zero results but with the wealth of information and experience on this site I’m sure someone will have an answer for me. I have been living and hunting in Germany for the past 3 years and it has been an incredible experience to say the least. My time here in Germany is coming to an end and will be moving back CONUS next summer. I’ve made some good hunting friends over here, one of which is very interested in a pronghorn hunt state side sometime in the near future.

The question is does anyone know how a foreign national (German) can obtain a hunting license with a tourist visa? Do you just buy a non-resident hunting license, what are the laws concerning a foreigner carrying a firearm while hunting? He is very particular about his rifles and if at all possible would probably prefer to bring his own (will probably build a new one just for the trip). Any guides out there that have foreigners hunt with them and know the ins and outs of the required paperwork and licensing? I'm sure this scenario happens with some regularity at least in Alaska. I'm sure every state will have its little differences but any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Waidmannsheil!

It varies by state but it is not that hard based on my limited experience of friends coming to hunt.

- figure out where he is hunting
- look for the state website where you want to hunt
- find the non-resident license section
- look for hunters safety course requirements
- apply for the tags and pay the fee
- some May ask for a social security number, drivers license # or alien registration # which may require you to provide the equivalent.
- call the dept of wildlife in that state if you have issues.
- for the gun, you need a permit for the he ATF. Takes a couple of months. Form is on their website. State laws vary on weapons possession so be careful. If you drag a gun case into a hotel lobby in NYC you are going to get arrested. In Dallas they will tell you to have “fun and good luck on your hunt”.
- also check the state laws regarding what type of gun you can use. A bolt action rifle is generally not going to be a problem. Some states allow suppressors. Many don’t.

OP
kevlar88

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
DJ, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. If he decides that borrowing one of my rifles is the best choice, is there any other permit required for him to carry a rifle or will just the fact that he has a non resident hunting license be enough to poses the rifle? Thanks in advance.

I took a Dane hunting. He bought his own rifle. He did not obtain a permit to carry it. The year previous he borrowed a rifle and did not obtain a permit to carry it.

Also, when buying his deer tag just simply stating he was a Dane and had gone through a bunch more hunters safety education than we are required to in the states was good enough for the clerk and he sold him a tag right there.

Wapiti1

WKR
Desk jockey covered the steps for the license. It is no different than buying a non-resident license. For states that require hunters education, they will take most any prior hunting license or training card from the foreign country.

As for the firearms possession, there is nothing that you need to do there. He can borrow a firearm without any paperwork, as long as he has a hunting license.

For this discussion, a non-immigrant alien is a tourist.

From the ATF Website:
Q3. May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant alien visa purchase or possess a firearm in the U.S.?

A3. An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien falls within one of the following exceptions: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business. In addition, a nonimmigrant alien legally in the United States with or without a nonimmigrant visa may lawfully acquire a firearm only if he/she meets State of residence requirements as required by the Federal government. For more information, see ATF Ruling 2010-6 at: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2010-6.pdf.

DJ, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. If he decides that borrowing one of my rifles is the best choice, is there any other permit required for him to carry a rifle or will just the fact that he has a non resident hunting license be enough to poses the rifle? Thanks in advance.

The info above covers it well. Us Federal law allows for hunters to import with the right paperwork. Laws do vary by state on firearm possession. Generally Western states are less strict. Bolt action rifles are usually fine. If you have it unloaded in a locked case until you get to where you are hunting, you are usually OK but you need to check where you will be hunting and traveling to know for sure.

CAlifornia for example has some laws about the firearm being inaccessible to the driver (In the trunk). NY city carry any gun is a good way to get arrested.

As a rule of thumb, If you see a lot of muddy pickup trucks and Carhartt clothes you should be OK.

OP
kevlar88

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. He has his Deutscher Jagdschein which is highly regarded in the European countries so from what I'm hearing hunters ed should be no issue. Really doesn't sound like any of this will be too much of an issue other then just having to pull tags for a good hunt.
Don't worry DJ, no plans what so ever to go anywhere close to NY or Commifornia.

Great. Start that ATF form soon. I think it takes 2-3 months but it is good for a year.

OP
kevlar88

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure it's one of the same forms I'll have to fill out to move all the guns I've bought here back to the US. Only difference is mine will be a permanent move and his will be here for only a short time. Thanks again.