Forest Service Closes Forest in Several Colorado Counties

3forks

WKR
FYI.

COLORADO, USA — All National Forest land in five Colorado counties will be closed effective at midnight on Oct. 21 due to "unprecedented and historic" fire conditions, the Forest Service announced.
Lands in Clear Creek, Jefferson, Gilpin, Boulder and Larimer counties will be closed temporarily, according to the announcement. The closures will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.

Read the order for the temporary closure
New fire starts and the explosive growth of fires throughout the northern Colorado Front Range over the past week, including the Cameron Peak, CalWood and Lefthand Canyon Fires, prompted the decision.
The impacted counties are experiencing severe drought, extremely low fuel moisture conditions and a high occurrence of human-caused wildfires, the forest service said.
RELATED: Here are all the wildfires burning across Colorado
There's also now a limited capacity for response due to multiple wildfires in our state and other states. Persistent fire-danger weather conditions are also expected with no immediate relief in the forecast.
“The number of large fires and extreme fire behavior we are seeing on our Forests this year is historic," Forest Supervisor Monte Williams said.
"These temporary closures are necessary to protect the public and our firefighters, and we will keep them in place until conditions improve and we are confident that the risk of new fire starts has decreased. I ask all of our local residents and visitors to take these closures and evacuations seriously to allow our firefighters to focus on the mission of safely suppressing the existing fires."
As of Tuesday morning, nearly 442,000 acres of land were affected by wildfire across north central Colorado and southern Wyoming, according to the Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center. About 3,000 firefighters and fire support personnel are assigned to wildfire operations in the region.
Hunters with second season rifle licenses affected by the closures are to wait for an email from Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) or click here for full details on all of their refund options. CPW asks that all hunters do their part to observe the emergency closure and all other restrictions.

woods89

WKR
What a year.

I have a 4th season tag in this closure area that I'd say is likely going to have to be turned in. I think they are going to keep stuff closed for awhile, but maybe I'll be wrong.

It's a pretty minor issue compared to the people who have lost their homes, though.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My main concern is for all the people and critters the fires affect. That said I'm leaving an iota of room to be pissed if 3rd rifle doesn't happen in Laramie County. Does anyone have any idea whether there are OTC tags for anything in another State or am I dreaming? Maybe do a float trip for trout somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
My main concern is for all the people and critters the fires affect. That said I'm leaving an iota of room to be pissed if 3rd rifle doesn't happen in Laramie County. Does anyone have any idea whether there are OTC tags for anything in another State or am I dreaming? Maybe do a float trip for trout somewhere.

There's otc elk hunting for third season in other parts of Colorado.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
There's otc elk hunting for third season in other parts of Colorado.
Thank you. I do see that there are leftover limited elk and deer tags and OTC unlimited tags available. The only area I have knowledge of and have have been on would be closed if I'm pursuing these other options. Any insight to a particular area area over another would be appreciated. We plan on backpacking in and camping.

wytx

WKR
Hope you're right Pbm, the moisture is needed all over up this way.
Going to be very cold for the firefighters.

cnelk

WKR
Major cold weather front coming in on Sunday - snow and cold weather.
USFS is monitoring conditions daily and closure could be very temporary