Forest Service Road Parking Etiquette

gostovp

WKR
My son and I are leaving on Monday for our trip out west. We are hoping to hunt 'smarter' not 'harder' and some of our plans are to hike into areas that are NOT off a trailhead. :) Some of the areas we have eScouted look like we have to park on the FS road and hike in....I wanted to know if there is any particular 'etiquette' or 'rules' I need be aware of when parking...other than the obvious 'use common sense' and 'don't be a dumbass and block the road' type stuff. I mean are the roads even wide enough to park on? Are there areas to slightly pull off on so people with large vehicles and maybe a horse trailer or something can get around? I want to be 100% considerate and make sure we aren't doing anything wrong.

Depends on where you're at. I've had to go half mile up the road to find a nook to park in so as not to block/crowd the road sometimes. Nothing special, keep your parked vehicle out of the way and like you said also out of the way for trailers and such... people often don't consider a trailer. If you're parking in a culdesac that a trailered rig may need to use to turn around in also consider that as well.

Poser

WKR
Just park in a place that doesn’t block the road in anyway, be it a pull off or a wide spot in the road, and you’ll be fine. Doesn’t sound like you are parking in the alpine, but if you are, do not drive or park on the tundra.

If you intend to leave your vehicle there for a bit, take a look around for dead trees that may be looming over your vehicle.

Depends on where you're at. I've had to go half mile up the road to find a nook to park in so as not to block/crowd the road sometimes. Nothing special, keep your parked vehicle out of the way and like you said also out of the way for trailers and such... people often don't consider a trailer. If you're parking in a culdesac that a trailered rig may need to use to turn around in also consider that as well.
^to add, sometimes I've seen trucks parked on a corner where it swings out a little wide. Try to envision someone with a long stock trailer making that turn and be sure there's enough room for them to do so if you're parking on a corner like that.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks everyone!
We are excited but nervous at the same time.
No matter how much we do, Seems like we haven’t done enough eScouting, lol just feels like we are not fully prepared from that aspect. But then when we get out there plans will likely change!

Jbehredt

WKR
Thanks everyone!
We are excited but nervous at the same time.
No matter how much we do, Seems like we haven’t done enough eScouting, lol just feels like we are not fully prepared from that aspect. But then when we get out there plans will likely change!

The real excitement happens when that beautiful meadow you saw on satellite turns out to be a rockslide ;). Good luck!

jimh406

WKR
Check to see if there is dispersed camping in that area. If there is, there are likely pull offs that people use for camping. That would be a good option for you to be off the road, and you might even be able to camp at the spot if you get back late, etc.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I got a verbal warning from FS-LE once from parking in a "non-designated parking area".
AKA: a pull off spot. Wasnt blocking the road whatsoever.

Mojave

WKR
I don't mean this as a dig to anybody, but are we seriously having a discussion about how to park along a dirt road? Holy smokes.
If you have never been out here. I can see it as a new thing.

Most of the people I have mentored had never seen an acre of BLM in their life.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I’m well versed in parking on backcountry roads here in WI… I was just wondering when it’s not flatland if there were some unwritten mountain hunting “rules” for this… I agree it seems kinda silly to ask but you never know…

cnelk

WKR
I’m well versed in parking on backcountry roads here in WI… I was just wondering when it’s not flatland if there were some unwritten mountain hunting “rules” for this… I agree it seems kinda silly to ask but you never know…

Here’s a rule you may not know while driving in the mtns.

There’s a narrow mtn road going up the hill.
Two trucks meet on the road. One truck going up, one truck going down.

Which truck has the ROW?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know the reason for the Up vehicle having the ROW? Seems like the down vehicle might have more trouble backing up, uphill.